Laundry?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree10Thanks

Thread: Laundry?

Laundry?

I cleaned the firearms today after a weekend trip to the range. I tossed a bunch of rags unto the laundry and that got me to thinking.

I wash the cleaning rags separately for obvious reasons. I use lots of soap. However, Some of those rags have some pretty horrendous carbon and powder fowling. Especially when I scrape out the bolt carrier. Lead maybe. Should I be concerned about contamination on the rest of my cloths when I do later loads?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 05-14-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

"If I don't shoot you now, you're never going to learn." ~ me

i would run the washer once with nothing inside just to make sure everything is purged. a cup of chlorox thrown in wouldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by street doctor; 05-14-2017 at 11:21 PM.

I usually do run a second empty load. In fact my rag load is small and I run the empty load on large just for good measure. But don't always have time. I use Chlorox while washing but I don't see it helping as the carbon stains are fairly permanent. I also try not to let the wife see me use HER washer for it. LOL. I think she might have something to say if she saw what was going in.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 05-14-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I use microfiber clothes until they are disgusting then throw them away

I have friends with growing kids so there's an endless supply of tee shirts. Toss when grungy.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Smurky, Rangerone and OvrK0 thanked this.

Kev
    I buy shop rags and toss them when dirty. I wouldn't even bother running them through the wash.
    Rangerone thanked this.
    Contrary to popular belief, I know exactly what I'm doing.

Yep I remember that thread. Back then I was mostly just wondering if re-using those really blackened rags was problematic.

Couple days ago I was reading an article that talked about lead contamination with shooters. It got me to thinking about the load of rags I just tossed in the washing machine. That other thread never really addressed this issues and maybe that should have been my question back then.

I shoot just about every weekend and I clean after shooting. I also don't spare the cleaning rags. If I just toss them I would run out of free rags quick and I am cheap/poor. Maybe I just need to go more sparingly on rags and just toss them. Or like many others just hand wash in a 5 gal bucket with some dish soap and hang dry. Might be a better way to go.

I suppose I could do a net present value of money cost analysis and see how the cost of soap and water compare to buying disposables. But who is going to pay me for that time? Then again if I just started to reload I could justify buying towels. lol
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 05-14-2017 at 09:26 PM.

I use high grade paper towels, rags (normally old t shirts- that give their lives for the cause) and toss them out before they take on a life of their own. Would hate to dirty a gun for need of riddling a t shirt scrap zombie with more holes! Personally I don't want to contaminate anything either.

With 2 teenagers, I've had an endless supply of old tshirts, I never rewash then . Just use and toss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links