101 top counties for gun ownership - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree48Thanks

Thread: 101 top counties for gun ownership

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

What statistics did they use to compile this list, phone polls? Number of hunting license issued? I tend to take these kinds of rankings with a grain of salt.
    OvrK0 and Kakashi66218 thanked this.

Well, I used to live in 41 with 1 right down the road. Now, I am not even on the map. I really need to get back to TN.
    Mntsnow thanked this.

We just hide ours better here.
    Mntsnow, OvrK0 and Big Muddy thanked this.
    I second that Amendment !

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    My state isn't on the list. GOOD! That means I HAVE MOST of the guns!
    Mntsnow, OvrK0 and hillbillyjim thanked this.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

From my understanding they took the amount of background checks made per state/county on firearm sales over a period of time and then did some algorithms against the data to come up the results so yeah there is always a grain of salt to be taken with anything that is based on data extrapolations....

Also I should note that City-Data.com did NOT state what data was used nor what algorithms were used to do their data mining.... The example I used above was how Utah did a study a few years ago on firearm ownership in the state of Utah.
    Last edited by Mntsnow; 05-16-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Make some clarifications:
    OvrK0, Kakashi66218, Big Muddy and 1 others thanked this.
    - Mike -

Benefactor Life Member

Life Member

Ambassador Life Member
    FN Gear
    Scar 17s FDE
    FNX-45 Tactical FDE (Twins)
    FNX-45 Blk
    FiveSeveN FDE
    My Oath to defend our nation against all enemies... was and is still an oath for me.

A short drive from the center of the universe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mntsnow View Post
    From my understanding they took the amount of background checks made per state/county on firearm sales over a period of time and then did some algorithms against the data to come up the results so yeah there is always a grain of salt to be taken with anything that is based on data extrapolations....

Also I should note that City-Data.com did NOT state what data was used nor what algorithms were used to do their data mining.... The example I used above was how Utah did a study a few years ago on firearm ownership in the state of Utah.
    I wonder if their algorithm accounts for places like where Lester lives. He would heavily skew the results considering he probably owns 25% of all the guns in the county he resides, but only represents one household.
    Mntsnow and Yewtaw Kid thanked this.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    What statistics did they use to compile this list, phone polls? Number of hunting license issued? I tend to take these kinds of rankings with a grain of salt.
    That is a very good question. Where I grew up, Coos County NH which encompasses about 1/3 or the upper State of New Hampshire, almost everyone has a gun (many more than one really) but they are just tight lipped about ownership. So this data is faulty because I am pretty sure that there are more guns then residents in the entire county.

The math on this is weird, to say the least.

Of course, Florida the number 3 State for population, does not even have a county listed in the entire state, but we have almost 2 million CCW holders, let alone all the hunters, shooters, police, and others that do not have a CCW. So I think that the funky math is not very accurate.

I do wonder though if this information is somehow connected to the VPC.
    OvrK0, Mntsnow and Big Muddy thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Kev
    Not to derail the thread, and this is just a thought... But, has anyone in Open Carry states seen a lot of people open carrying that are high on this list? Since open carry was approved in Texas I haven't seen a single person doing it. A lot of people that I work with lost their damn minds when they heard this law passed. Just something to noodle on.
    OvrK0 and Mntsnow thanked this.
    Contrary to popular belief, I know exactly what I'm doing.

Here in Tn. we don't have open carry unless with a permit and then it's either way, and my county has a very high rate of permit holders but I have only seen 2 cases in last 10 yrs. of anybody doing open carry.

To me it's like carrying a sign saying "Shoot Me 1st"!
    Kev thanked this.

Here lies Lester Moore. Four slugs from a .44. No Les. No More.

HK & 17 that really makes me wonder as well because when the data used and what the process was used to mine it is not mentioned in this study. I would have also expected Carbon County & Emery in Utah to rate very high because of the low population and very high known firearm ownership as I grew up in those counties and it seemed like everyone had more firearms in the household than people by a long shot!
    - Mike -

Benefactor Life Member

Life Member

Ambassador Life Member
    FN Gear
    Scar 17s FDE
    FNX-45 Tactical FDE (Twins)
    FNX-45 Blk
    FiveSeveN FDE
    My Oath to defend our nation against all enemies... was and is still an oath for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links