Shot my first IDPA match today :)

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shot my first IDPA match today :)

Shot a local match, it was modified due to rain to 3 stages of just steel and then the last stage had IDPA cardboard targets cause it cleared up a bit. Overall I did pretty good, shot in the CDP (1911 single stack) division and placed third against several experts, sharpshooters and marksmen. I of course was unclassified and the only one in that division so of course I was #1 Absolutely loved the shoot, definitely addicted now. I showed up with a crappy holster, a hoodie and some extra mags, lessons learned: use a vest and have a good holster. I wasn't missing but my draw times hindered me big time. I recommend the sport to EVERYONE, just go out and shoot it's a blast.

I shoot in my local match every month. I love it.

Glad you joined the sport; it's definitely addictive.
    If you can't be safe....be deadly.

I might go with one of my supervisors later on this spring or summer. The last one he went to sounded pretty busy (biggest group he's seen).

But, I need a good holster first and a mag holder. Holster should be here end of May though.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by djv38
    I might go with one of my supervisors later on this spring or summer. The last one he went to sounded pretty busy (biggest group he's seen).

But, I need a good holster first and a mag holder. Holster should be here end of May though.
    Ya I realized how important a good holster is today, I was just using the factory supplied SA holster... a no no for fast draws. I have a serpa holster on the way. Lots of shooters using them today and bladetechs.

congratulations. my wife and I have been competing for several months now. It is very addicting. WE shoot at a club in FL that will run 6 to 8 stages, we have about 120 people show up to shoot. A good vest is a must just for all the pockets they have. Most of us use black hawk holsters and 3 mag pouches. Good luck with it and have fun.

Did you get a trophy?
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

- Douglas MacArthur

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by 71truck
    congratulations. my wife and I have been competing for several months now. It is very addicting. WE shoot at a club in FL that will run 6 to 8 stages, we have about 120 people show up to shoot. A good vest is a must just for all the pockets they have. Most of us use black hawk holsters and 3 mag pouches. Good luck with it and have fun.
    Which FL match do you go to? If you don't mind me asking. I have gone to 2 matches here in the sunshine and each had close to 70 people. I've really enjoyed it but due to some training and upcoming family events won't be able to make my usual match until November but I may make it up to one in Orlando this Sunday if they put on a good game. PM me if you don't want to broadcast your whereabouts, I'd completely understand.

Either way have fun and maybe some time next year I'll find another person using a good ol' FN at one of these matches!
    The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work. ~Harry Golden

Sneakin and poopin - MSG S

-What do you do when something like that happens to you?
    -Grab a straw and suck it up.

Good evening hollywood the match we go to is at the central fl rifle and pistol club. It is always the first Sunday of the month. Registration starts at 8am safety meeting at around 9 and the shoot starts around 9:30. They run till about 3 or 4 pm. The match director and staff work hard to come up with a great shoot for all the participants. They average about 110 to 120 shooters and 6 to 8 stages. Its a lot of fun hope you can make it.

Well I did end up attending this match this past weekend. I apologize i didn't send you a message earlier so we could shake hands but I was away from my computer all day and didn't decide to go until the late afternoon.

My Thoughts:
    That was a lot of people! The Courses looked fun and challenging and I was really excited to get one last match in before I head out of town.

Then after I shot one of the stages(with a procedural for shooting targets out of order I might add ) I go to the restroom to relieve myself, and return to some interesting news.

Apparently one of the shooters one of the shooters on another stage drew their 9mm 1911 style pistol before pushing over a steel target with their strong hand first. Realizing the mistake the shooter attempted to reholster their weapon to push the steel. However they not only had already disengaged the safety, but they kept their finger on the trigger while reholstering.

Yeah he earned himself a nice hole in his calf. The round went in the calf, out, and grazed his foot. It took about 2 hrs to get all the ambulance, police, and investigative paperwork out of the way, at which point the SO's canceled the rest of the match to prevent other people from rushing through and also getting injured.

A disappointing day but it was the right call. Guess I'll just look for matches in the future....
    The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work. ~Harry Golden

Sneakin and poopin - MSG S

-What do you do when something like that happens to you?
    -Grab a straw and suck it up.

That sucks. And ouch
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links