Hearing Protection

FN Forum

Google Search

Hearing Protection

Hello! I have a specific type of hearing protection that I am looking for and figured that somebody on this forum might know where to find something like what I need! I really love the noise canceling style of earmuff as I can hear what is going on around me when the shots have stopped. A drawback though is that I can not hear my radio if my parter is trying to contact me during a drill. Does anyone know of a company that makes noise canceling ear muffs but that have an input slot for the speakers in them for a 2-way radio? It would be great if while the external sound from the mic was muted I could hear my teammates more clearly and when the mute was off I could hear the radio through the muffs so it is not so blaringly loud. Any ideas?

Thanks!

There are several different models of sound activated earphones that have a 1/8" stereo input. I've been using this model:

Academy - Howard Leight Impact Sport Sound Amplification Earmuffs

They are reasonably priced, comfortable, fold up compactly and have inputs for a MP3 or other audio devise. I highly recommend them...........................dj
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

--- H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Wow! Thats an awesome price for something with an external auxiliary jack! Thanks DJ I will have to check those out!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

May I ask a little bit about their performance? Does the external microphone that is picking up the ambiant sound get muted when an AUX line is plugged in? Say for instance if I ran a line from my 2-way radio to them, even though there was no trasmission through the speakers during radio silence would the ambiant sound still be transmitted to the speakers?

The Volumn from the input is determined by the input player. The volumn of exterior noise amplified is controlled by the volumn on the left ear. So you can set how loud you hear exterior sounds and the volumn from your radio separately.

I like listening to my Ipod while shooting. ...............................dj
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

--- H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

I've heard good things about those muffs. I plan on getting those if I start shooting indoors again.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Gos
    These may also do the job for you, though they're more expensive:
    TCI OEM Digital Hearing Protection by MSA Sordin for TCI

They're basically the MSA Sordin Pro-X with slightly different firmware in them, from what I understand. They have an audio input.

No relationship to the company, but I have two pairs and they work great. The amplification is very effective, can be in a room full of people shooting .44 or .308 and have a normal conversation in our quiet voices. I can hear the water running down the surface of the bullet trap on the pistol range 30 yds away.

Sponsored Links