Police Knock at the door - Page 2

FN Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: Police Knock at the door

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MP_OHIO View Post
    If he is knocking, they probably aren't serving a felony warrant I would politely ask him "How can I help you" Depending on his response determines how I would advance. If I have a gun at the door, I would either lay it down or tuck it in my belt. If he needs to enter "legally", I would then advise him that I am legally armed.

Of course in my small community(country), I know all the SO's and the conversation would go more like, Ed, WTF are you doing knocking on my door at 2am and do you want a beer Seriously, I went to school with most of these guys
    Lucky you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    +
    =

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

Absolutely inform them you are legally armed and ask calmly and respectfully for instructions before opening the door.
    17heavy thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Probably the best thing to do is if you know it is the cops, is answer the door buck naked. They will probably be so taken back by the sight they will forget what they came there for.
    Young Guns and cetane thanked this.

+
    =

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I like 17heavys FIRST response here and more than likely handle it like that. Where I live I'm in a ETJ area so it could be the Sheriff it could be a City cop. With the the city police knowing how they do 'business' I wouldn't say a word about the weapon and probably tuck it in my belt or lay it by the door. I'm not letting any LEO inside, that's why I have a porch with chairs.
    Last edited by McCrapper; 06-21-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    fd57 thanked this.
    Hunters never die... they just go deeper into the woods.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCheney19 View Post
    I like 17heavys FIRST response here and more than likely handle it like that. Where I live I'm in a ETJ area so it could be the Sheriff it could be a City cop. With the the city police knowing how they do 'business' I wouldn't say a word about the weapon and probably tuck it in my belt or lay it by the door. I'm not letting any LEO inside, that's why I have a porch with chairs.
    Good edit.

+
    =

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter bradman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bradman View Post
    I cooperate with the police, but......................................

Here's my welcome mat:

Welcome mat:

ALWAYS cooperate with the police! However, when it comes to search and seizure laws, exercise your rights. There is a law in NC prohibiting a magazine feeding device with more than 31 rounds of ammunition. A device that holds over 31 rounds classifies the weapon as a machine gun and a weapon of mass destruction. Well, I have plenty of them and no one that I know of has ever been charged with one. I don't want a rookie blue to make me his first.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bradman View Post
    ALWAYS cooperate with the police! However, when it comes to search and seizure laws, exercise your rights. There is a law in NC prohibiting a magazine feeding device with more than 31 rounds of ammunition. A device that holds over 31 rounds classifies the weapon as a machine gun and a weapon of mass destruction. Well, I have plenty of them and no one that I know of has ever been charged with one. I don't want a rookie blue to make me his first.
    Same stupid law in Ohio
    bradman thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

I actually had this happen to me. I have an alarm system and one stormy night very high winds caused one of the doors to move enough to separate the door magnets in the frame. The local police department responded. I was awakened not by the knock on the door, but by the glare of flashlights outside my bedroom windows. I thought someone was trying to break in my house (my alarm system has a light that activates, and it was flashing). I told my wife to call 911, and I grabbed my shotgun and took up a position where I could control the stairs to the upper level. Then there was a forceful knock on the door, and the doorbell rang. I went to the door, shotgun in hand at low ready, and asked who it was. I could see the police cars, and so I opened the door, after I set the shotgun down inside the door to my library/study. The policemen were very polite, explained why they were there, and I had them come in and help me make sure the house was secure. I thanked them for their help, and gave them a couple of cold bottled waters for the patrol car ride. I told them about the shotgun, but only after I had seen their vehicles and uniforms, and they had come inside where they could see my hands were empty. They said I had handled it right, and they did not even secure the gun...no round was chambered.

The city has an ordinance that gave you three "false alarms" and after that they would invoice the alarm owner $75.00 to cover the response costs. Seemed more than fair to me....

I just stayed very calm, and put the dog in the garage, while they did their sweep...and made damn sure they could see I was on their side!!
    Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

It wouldn't hurt to call 911 and be sure they are cops.

First, don't open the door. You don't have to legally.

Second, abiding by the first step, you can still legally keep your firearm concealed and/or put away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links