Gun broker selling personal info?

FN Forum

Google Search

Gun broker selling personal info?

So on 8/6 i decide to register with GB figuring i may find a C&R on it i may want. etc... I also decide to use my personal e-mail address during the registration instead of another e-mail i use for ordering stuff as i may want to be notified on the spot about auction activity.

well a few days pass and i get an e-mail from glamour thanking me for my recent subscription order. I typically dismiss these as phishing, but this particular one had my physical address listed. I call them when they opened the next day and it was confirmed i was recently signed up for a scubscription. I cancelled it immediatley and hope this was settled.

Welp this morning i get an e-mail from american girl thanking me for my recent subscription order. I call and cancel this morning, but it has me wondering. the only venue in recent years i have used that specific e-mail on was Gunbroker.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I have not but something similar occured on ebay. I don't stay registered on gunbroker so maybe that helps. I just register for a month if I want to buy something then have my wife cancel or not renew. Good luck I hope some scum bag didn't get anything out of it. I hope gunbroker is not selling our info as well.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I doubt Gunbroker is the cause of your problem.

I've been with them almost eight years and never had a problem, and as far as I know they've never shared my infor with anyone but member I've had transactions with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    And a FYI, once you contact anyone in these emails your getting either by email, phone, or their un-subscribe links you're in for a treat once they find it's a valid email that someone checks. You might as well go ahead and change your email address now.

It is most likely trackers tht are logging what you are doing. I use the Do Not Track Plus add-on through Firefox. It seems like it is blocking 8-10 trackers at every page I go to.
    <---- On 2/24/12, became tired of trying to have an ingenious quote!

jrh
    I've been a member of Gunbroker for 5 years. The email address which I have on file has been revealed only to Gunbroker, other members with whom I've conducted transactions, and my gun dealer. I've never received any spam on the account. (It is a Gmail account which does have a pretty good spam blocker.) I consider Gunbroker to be quite reputable, and I would be very surprised if they sold your personal information.

Gunbroker does use tracking software for their banner ads. Here is their Priavcy Policy which explains how to opt out of being tracked. Amusingly(?), to opt out of being tracked, your browser needs to be configured to allow third party cookies to add a "do not track" cookie. (For a reason explained below, I've personally made a considerable effort to thwart all of the tracking software which is out there. Google currently thinks that I am in Spotsylvania Courthouse, VA while cnn.com can't even tell if I am in the US and occasionally asks me if I would like to view the international version of their site.)

Do you happen to use or have you ever used Facebook? Facebook's business model is to get you to reveal personal information and then sell it to advertisers. If you value your privacy, I would suggest avoiding Facebook or else being very careful what information you reveal to them. If you do have a Facebook account, you should check your privacy settings very carefully and also continually, especially your "Apps". When I had a Facebook account, one day I discovered that there were two "Apps" on my account, Yelp and Peoplesmart. Facebook's default setting is to share your personal information with your Apps. I never used Apps and certainly never added Yelp and Peoplesmart (and who would?), but now they both have all of the personal information which I gave to Facebook. I'm not sure exactly how my former Facebook account was compromised, but obviously I suspect that it was related to cookies and tracking software.

Sponsored Links