FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: Guns and Ammo Shpping Rules

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Guns and Ammo Shpping Rules

First, Check your Fed, State and Local laws.
    Don't take anyones word as gospel, as it's your ass that is on the line!!

FNFORUM.NET nor I Nor it's Affiliates take any responsibility for any of the Info here. It is meant as a guideline and a Warning. Do your own research!!

Known Shipping Rules(not Face to Face (FTF)).
    1.) Do not ship Ammo with the Gun.
    2.) All guns must be shipped to an FFL(no exceptions) UPS is still Gun friendly
    3.) Ammo Cannot be shipped through the US postal service. Again, UPS and Fedexare your friends and it must be marked ORM-D & small arms ammunition.
    4.) No loaded weapons(Do I even need to say this). ?
    5.) Complete weapons can be shipped UPS or FedEx. FFL's can ship weapons USPS, non-FFL's can ship rifles and shotguns with, UPS, FEDEX or USPS(I Personally wouldn't trust USPS).

6.) UnRegistered gun parts can be shipped Via all the big 3(UPS, USPS, andFedex), just make sure you know what parts are considered a registered Gun!! AR lowers=guns, Scar lower=parts, scar upper=Guns...
    7.) Certain states will not allow Certain ammo and Certain guns!! California isa prime example.
    8.) Certain knives, peppar spray and Magazines are illegal in certain areas(Ie Cali, NY, Cleveland...
    9.) Most Gun parts, scopes, ammo are illegal to ship out of the US. Don't ship anything out of the US!!

* UPS stores will not take ammo or guns(at least all the ones I have tried). You must take your ammo/guns to a UPS HUB.

If in doubt ask on here and then Double check with your local FFL.

Again, Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse when you are explaining to the Fedwhy you screwed up

If you can think of any other relevant laws, please post them on here and Iwill review them and add them to the list. Or if I made an error, please speakout(like I have to ask that ).
    Last edited by MP_OHIO; 06-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Ferris2son thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

Most states allow IN state shipping of firearms to legal recipients. Ohio as an example a non-license holder can ship a rifle or pistol to another non- license holder.
    You can also send and receive a gun to yourself out of state, example would be a hunting trip where you send and receive it yourself.
    Long guns can go USPS and handguns still need to go UPS or Fedex. FFL holders can only ship handguns through the USPS.

Shipping handguns its an internal regulation for Fedex and UPS to require next day air service. This is a little pricey most times. You can save some money sometimes if a dealer can mail it for you USPS Priority which runs about $16 for the flat rate box.

I know Hamilton County (Cincinnati) has restrictions on shipping ammo and I think magazine capacity limits. Never heard of a restriction for Cleveland or Cuyahoga County.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Too convoluted.

Shipping (Federal) regulations:

Individual can ship a pistol via common carrier, e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.

Individual can ship a long gun via USPS, or common carrier, e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.

FFL's can ship long guns or pistols via USPS, or common carrier, e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.

Ammunition needs to ship ground via common carrier.

Gun parts can ship USPS, or common carrier.

-SS

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Ok, I a going to clean this up a bit. You all may continue if you see anything else in error!!
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

Banned
    Cook County IL requires loaded ammo to be shipped to a FFL. Also according with MidwayUSA, they can not ship ammunition components (brass or bullets) to Chicago.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Number two applies only if shipping out of State. (For most people)

Banned
    I'm also pretty sure that IL requires that the out of state shipping FFL keep a copy of the gun buyers FOID card on record for 10 years. Any intra-state private party transfers must maintain a record of the sale for 10 years (both the buyer and seller).

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs27275 View Post
    Number two applies only if shipping out of State. (For most people)
    Ok, This one is new to me. I, a non FFL holder, can ship directly to another non ffl holder in my state? I thought federal law stated it must go to an FFL?
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MP_OHIO View Post
    Ok, This one is new to me. I, a non FFL holder, can ship directly to another non ffl holder in my state? I thought federal law stated it must go to an FFL?
    Yes to the first part, and no to the second.

Same with NFA items, no need to use a C3 dealer for in State transfers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links