Why?? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: Why??

The only good argument so far is that you cant snag an internal striker on anything. Not sure that the other arguments necessarily preclude hammer fired guns.
    HK USP 9 compact
    Browning Hi Power "Roscoe"
    FNP-9
    Glock 19 "Lucky"
    M&P15
    Remington 870
    1 Beautiful wife "Beautiful Wife"
    3 Kids "1 of 3" 2 of 3" and "3 of 3"
    4 Dogs "the morading hoard"

Sheriff department carries Glocks, biggest city, their officer's carry SIG P220's. Actually, I see quite a few of our local cops carrying SIGs.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Beretta is pretty popular with PD's and SO's, our local PD just switched from FS96 to the Px4 storm.
    Last I saw California CHP still using the S&W 4006,
    The us military is using the M9
    And is the FBI HRT still using a 1911?

Hammer fired guns should not hang their heads in shame or feel inferior to striker fired guns
    HK USP 9 compact
    Browning Hi Power "Roscoe"
    FNP-9
    Glock 19 "Lucky"
    M&P15
    Remington 870
    1 Beautiful wife "Beautiful Wife"
    3 Kids "1 of 3" 2 of 3" and "3 of 3"
    4 Dogs "the morading hoard"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SONYtec View Post
    No "accidental discharges" because of a "light" trigger, when hammer is cocked.
    Tell that to all the people who have "Glocked" themselves or other objects.
    jhs27275 thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

One of the other valid arguements for Striker fired pistols is consistancy of trigger pull. DA Hammer guns have 2 different trigger pulls to train for, Striker fired pistols always have the same trigger pull (which usually sucks )..............................dj
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

--- H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaintles View Post
    One of the other valid arguements for Striker fired pistols is consistancy of trigger pull. DA Hammer guns have 2 different trigger pulls to train for, Striker fired pistols always have the same trigger pull (which usually sucks )..............................dj
    OK so if the cartridge failes to fire when the trigger is pulled, does this mean that the only action that you can take is to rack the slide to chanber a new cartridge and recock the pistol striker mechanism? It is it if the cartridge does not fire, you get to pull the trigger again and try, thus having two different trigger weights? One when the firearm slide is racked and the spring is loaded and the other if you pull the trigger again on the same cartridge thus using the trigger to reload the striker mechanism.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    OK so if the cartridge failes to fire when the trigger is pulled, does this mean that the only action that you can take is to rack the slide to chanber a new cartridge and recock the pistol striker mechanism?

Correct.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 Obama leaves.

OK so if the cartridge failes to fire when the trigger is pulled, does this mean that the only action that you can take is to rack the slide to chanber a new cartridge and recock the pistol striker mechanism? It is it if the cartridge does not fire, you get to pull the trigger again and try, thus having two different trigger weights? One when the firearm slide is racked and the spring is loaded and the other if you pull the trigger again on the same cartridge thus using the trigger to reload the striker mechanism.
    I beleive that there a couple striker fired pistols that have "second Strike" capability. Notably Taurus'. I'm somewhat dubious about the need for it, IMO if it didn't fire chances are there either wasn't a round in the chamber in the first place or it's a dud round. I don't know what percentage of rounds will go off after a second strike but I do know that some rounds will NEVER go off no matter how many times they are struck so get them out of the gun and move on IMO.

What I was referring two in 2 different trigger pulls is in DA auto's with decockers like say a std SIG or the like. You fire your first shot with a long double action pull and then subsequent shots are with a much lighter and shorter single action pull. 2 different pulls to train for. In a way the H&K LEM pistols give the best of both worlds, normal pulls are allways the same but you can have a second strike with a longer heavier pull if you want. Me, I like the idea of tap, rack and bang for malfunctioning rounds............................dj
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaintles View Post
    I beleive that there a couple striker fired pistols that have "second Strike" capability. Notably Taurus'. I'm somewhat dubious about the need for it, IMO if it didn't fire chances are there either wasn't a round in the chamber in the first place or it's a dud round. I don't know what percentage of rounds will go off after a second strike but I do know that some rounds will NEVER go off no matter how many times they are struck so get them out of the gun and move on IMO.

What I was referring two in 2 different trigger pulls is in DA auto's with decockers like say a std SIG or the like. You fire your first shot with a long double action pull and then subsequent shots are with a much lighter and shorter single action pull. 2 different pulls to train for. In a way the H&K LEM pistols give the best of both worlds, normal pulls are allways the same but you can have a second strike with a longer heavier pull if you want. Me, I like the idea of tap, rack and bang for malfunctioning rounds............................dj

OK - so I am understanding that the only way to 'charge' the striker mechanism is to rack the slide (this will put a round into the chamber if the magazine is loaded) but not by pulling the trigger? There is no way to "charge" the striker mechanism by just pulling the trigger? Does this also mean to dry fire it you have to rack the slide each and every time you dry fire the pistol?

I know that with my USPC .40, I always have the option to re-pull the trigger thus reloading the springs so that I can do a second attempt at firing if I so choose. I think that I prefer this option better than not having this option.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

OK - so I am understanding that the only way to 'charge' the striker mechanism is to rack the slide (this will put a round into the chamber if the magazine is loaded) but not by pulling the trigger? There is no way to "charge" the striker mechanism by just pulling the trigger? Does this also mean to dry fire it you have to rack the slide each and every time you dry fire the pistol?
    No, not necessarily. MOST but not all Striker fired pistols are as you say. The slide has to move to the rear to recock. Some of the Taurus pistols and possibly a couple other striker fired pistols have "second strike" capability were pulling the trigger again will recock and refire the striker. H&K P7's are an odd exception in that you can regrip them to recock the striker.

There is an arguement with valid points either way whether it is better to make a quick restrike on a bad round or to immediately clear a bad round with tap, rack, and bang.

I personally prefer to immediately clear any misfires in the thought that if it didn't go off the first time it's just as likely to not go off the second time.................................dj
    HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links