Picked up a RIA 1911 .22 TCM

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: Picked up a RIA 1911 .22 TCM

Picked up a RIA 1911 .22 TCM

Well, ill preface by saying i did the worst thing a new shooter can do and went a picked up a SIG 1911 .22 for my first pistol. After running ~5k rounds through it, it was time to start moving up through the ranks of pistols for HD, Carry, so-on and so forth. Little did i know was training everything i knew about pistols to one of the industries best triggers and argueable best shooters.

Fast forward to today. Was researching a high cap 9mm 1911 for HD(all of my handguns in their various forms are 9mm besides the .22), and came across the RIA .22 TCM. Seemed like a very nifty little round, performing comparably to the Five-Secen round, the overall gun package was inexpensive at $530, and whats this...also came with 9mm conversion kit that was a simple barrely, spring, and extractor change away and used the same mag. Very neat.

It ended up being to tempting of a package and pulled the trigger on it. It has ended up being a great overall gun. The conversion is very simple and very fast, i put 300 rounds of wolf steel case 9mm through it on its first outing and didnt have a single failure of any kind. It holds 18+1 of the 22 tcm round and shoots with alittle less recoil and a fair amount less snap then a 5-7. Shooting in general is a real pleasure in this all steel 1911, the heft of the all steel construction makes shooting as nice as it can be, and the trigger in the RIA TCM is to damn nice for a ~$500 gun. Ill be honest my main interest is the firearms ability to hold 17+1 of 9mm, just a more proven round with high R&D defense bullets to consider the tcm for a defense round. But the overall package has turned out to be a tremedous value and wonderful performer.

They need a tac rail version.

Senior Member WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN BADGES Visceral_Malice's Avatar
    I was unaware it was going to be a double stack mag. I was also unaware it was even released yet. Its a tempting piece for the price.

ammo availability is an issue. Any Chrono results?

Suprisingly my local shop stocks the ammo(even though i bought my first 250rnds from fred craig), but no chrono results. You on nasioc to buffman?

Yes
    swine thanked this.

just read an article on this. Nifty combo, and at that price tempting. However the article in handgunner suggesting it was superior to the 5.7 seems a little silly to me. The TCM does not appear to be designed to cause the same wounding as the 5.7 in that it does not appear designed to tumble. However the nice thing is they are not discouraging reloading of the little cartridge and probably wont have the same restrictive attitude toward the ammo as the 5.7 has garnered.
    Those who would trade safety for liberty deserve neither

I don't think anyone has indicated yet what bullet weight range this cartridge will take. Does it need shorter lead rounds like 40gr soft points to keep the case capacity at max for the powder?

factory to factory the 40gr soft points out gun the SS197SR by about 300fps..
    Last edited by Buffman; 02-28-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Yeah, theres just no telling what this short, fat, soft point is going to do. It shoots like a five seven in that its a light .22 cal based round, but i doubt the tcm round will exibit the same properties as the five seven was designed to do.

Maybe once/if a few more bullet designs make it on to the market. I know because the case is based on a .223 case it can readily handle extra pressures. Fred was telling me about some hotter rounds def in the making. I am interested to see how constrained they are with the tcm bullet design, as buffman said, the short/fat design may be a necessity.

swine did you happen to get rid of your RIA 1911 A2? I bought a used one at my local gun store and it had the exact same serial number: tcm00296. If you did get rid of it, may I ask why?

I just received these dies from Hornady today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links