Is the .380 ACP a viable SD round? Considering a Sig 238 for a BUG... - Page 2

FN Forum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: Is the .380 ACP a viable SD round? Considering a Sig 238 for a BUG...

When you have a firearm trained on someone, I guarantee they are only paying attention to the fact that the muzzle is pointed at them.

It is of my opinion that self defense has less to do with the caliber, and more to do with the training of a person holding it in their hands.

To answer your question, .380 is more than adequate to get the job done.
    <---- On 2/24/12, became tired of trying to have an ingenious quote!

Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    Had a P238, sold it. 380 is just too expensive. I'm waiting for the 938. My 238 was far from 100% as well. It had major extraction issues in the 200 rounds I put through it (I think the recoil spring was too strong for the ammo I used except for the Remington Golden Saber's I put through it, but those even had a couple of FTE)
    The P238 and it's brother the Colt Mustang Pocketlite are known for being a little picky on ammo. You just need to find what it likes.

To expensive at the time, and ammo availability was if you find it, buy it. If I can get a 9mm in the same size package (or nearly), I'll take it. One less caliber to stock up on.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Senior Member KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE's Avatar
    MP, thanks for the heads up on the Kahrs. The P380 and the PM9 look promising.

I'd like to buy a 9mm to keep my ammo cheaper and more streamlined, but the .380 is available in a slightly smaller package.

The situation(s) that I'm considering this type of firearm for require ZERO printing. I'll be wearing a tucked shirt, and I snug up my belt.

There's a large selection of these "micro guns" to choose from.

I foresee lots of research in the coming days.
    Make no mistake my friend. It isn't the revenge I'm after, it's the reckoning.

Homo Qui Spectat Mortem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Youtube/Conspiritus 1-13, by: Xendrius. Full version available here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NWO, Secret Societies, and Biblical Prophecy Vol. 1., by Leonard Ulrich

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    I had a LCP 380. The footprint was perfect, but the trigger on it was about as painful as waiting on an old 1 legged lady cross the street in front of your car Seriously, it sucked. Plus I didn't have "peace of mind" with the 380

Here is my criteria for a CCW gun.

1.) concealable(In both winter and summer)
    2.) Must go bang each and everytime I pull the trigger(no failures, EVER!!! )
    3.) Lethal(must stop the BG in all situations).

LCP380=#1(jammed a couple times, and 380 is iffy)
    Glock 27=#2 and 3(just wasn't concealable year round)
    Kahr Pm40=#,3 and 90% of 2(90% isn't good enough when my life depends on it )
    My choice ended up being ...
    SW 360 air lite pd in357, with crimson trace grips. It is light(11oz), it won't jam(revolver), and the 357magnum speaks for itself in stopping power; so it satisfies all three groups 100%. Plus the CT laser is agret deterent(and my dog loves to chase it(unloaded of course))!!

Last edited by MP_OHIO; 03-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    To expensive at the time, and ammo availability was if you find it, buy it. If I can get a 9mm in the same size package (or nearly), I'll take it. One less caliber to stock up on.
    I remember. I sold my P238 at the same time.

Senior Member WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN BADGES hyperdog's Avatar
    My wife shoots the Walther PK 380. I get in trouble when I shoot her gun. The 380 round is so light and controllable. You'd be surprised at how cheap the ammo gets when you reload
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by MP_OHIO View Post
    I had a LCP 380. The footprint was perfect, but the trigger on it was about as painful as waiting on an old 1 legged lady cross the street in front of your car Seriously, it sucked. Plus I didn't have "peace of mind" with the 380
    The LCP trigger is awful. My cousin has one that I shot. Never shot a gun with a trigger that long (and no reset, even though it felt like there would be a couple times where I thought it would reset).

The P238 trigger isn't great (honestly, a bit heavy), but it was decent for what it was. I'm sure it could have been worked on.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

I LOVE my p238. I plink with russian steel .380, have a good 400 rounds of the stuff through my P238 with maybe 2-3 ammo related failures. I could shoot a damn good group with the P238 quickly, effeciently, and effectively, the same could not be said for its ruger and Khar compeition, both required much more thought and patience to shoot well(not things you want when it comes time to hit the mark).

I have 2 things done to my P238 that make it perfect in my book.
    -7rnd x-grip
    -trigger taken to 3.5lbs of crisp glass

My p238 lives in one of 2 holsters, a simple uncle mikes pocket holster or a Crossbreed mini tuck. Both holsters have so far been more then adequate for all of my concealing desires.

Holstered in the crossbreed

Now the question comes to .380 and its power and effectiveness. In my mind i am splitting hairs in the following arguement, but FYI. .380 is known to be an anemic round, all of the ammo tests i have seen performed in hollow points shows underpenetration results. The general consensus is that if you want the penetration depth that most departments find adequate, you need to stick with a non hollow point. Buffalo bore makes a defense +P flat nose, but anything in non hollow point will penetrate completely and/or over penetrate. What you give up with going to a non hollow point is obviously a smaller hole, a .38" hole in non hollow point vs a ~.5" hole in a hollow point.

So the .380 can have the power to be completely deadly defense round in pretty much any person to person/non barrier situation, its a smaller, lighter, and lower pressure round allowing the firearm to be smaller, lighter, more concealable, and obviously lends itself to more controllable recoil with faster and more accurate follow up shots. What you give up is cheap and readily available ammo in any shape and form and function AND the power of the 9mm catridge.

HOWEVER, remember the 9mm catridge in question still has to come out of a 3" barrel in the pocket 9's, so its still going to be underpowered compared to a 9mm coming out of compact or bigger sized pistol. Your typical 115gr 9mm non +p defense round will still only be exiting in the ~1000fps range, vs a 95gr .380 coming in around ~950fps.

For me, i will be going to a P938. My primary reasons for decision are my other 2 pistols are 9mm as well, converting to all 9mm will keep ammo cost down, and make ammo shopping simple. If i had several different calibers in pistol's, i would be much less inclined to switch from my wonderfully controllable and smooth shooting .380 P238. I am also not looking forward to the slighty larger, slightly heavier, and snappier recoil from the 9mm pocket pistol, but i will give those things up to standardize my round and save some money.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by swine; 03-20-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Senior Member KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE's Avatar
    Swine,

Thank you for the write-up. I wish I knew when the release date for the P938 was. I've heard April, all the way to late summer. I need to call Sig Sauer, hopefully that would help. That crossbreed should work with the P938 as well. I'd also like to track down a good ankle holster.

Also, does anyone know if this is a reliable vendor? SIG SAUER P238 380 6RD BLK W/LASER SP

I would like to acquire one of these PdarnQ... Not too fond of the laser, but it could potentially be resold to recoup funds. The site doesn't list this pistol as having night sights, but I don't think the P238 is available without them.
    Last edited by KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE; 03-20-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Make no mistake my friend. It isn't the revenge I'm after, it's the reckoning.

Homo Qui Spectat Mortem.

Youtube/Conspiritus 1-13, by: Xendrius. Full version available here:

NWO, Secret Societies, and Biblical Prophecy Vol. 1., by Leonard Ulrich

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links