my 5.7 reload

FN Forum

Thread: my 5.7 reload

my 5.7 reload

Hi all wanted to talk about my reloading of the 5.7 , shooting out of a PS90.
    Some background on my reloading experience; been reloading 44mag ,45acp,38spl,308 and 243 for about 20yrs. with no problems at all.
    I have a cronograph.

Now as to the 5.7 useing Western powder/Ramshot powder data obtained from FN Forum
    True Blue powder start load 5.4 gr., 45gr Barnes Banded Solids.
    OAL case length 1.35, CCI 400 sm.rifle primers
    First 2 rds loaded at 5.4 gr. had flatened primers . Backed off to 5.2 grs (2275 FPS) one round fired and had a neck seperate and had to remove from chamber. Backed off again to 4.0grs. (1801fps) still slightly flat primers.

I decided to give up. I cant afford to damage any firearms that cost $1500. Reloading 5.7 is just too new for me. Hopefuly the ammo industury will develop loads with larger selection of bullets to choose from.
    Until then for me its SS197SR.

Buy the way anyone want to buy aset of Lyman 5.7 three die set with shell holders for your press, Lee auto prime. Lee case lenght cutter holder. and 95rds Barnes 45gr bullets $105 shipped

Thanks

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Don't know why you had problems with your formula except I question your COL which you did not list.

I can do 6.2 grains of True Blue before I see flatened primers and my normal load is 6.0 grains with a COAL of 1.580

Perhapse you should check your COAL....

WARNING: The Pressure Calc is just that, a calculated pressure using a mathmatical formula.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical
    Don't know why you had problems with your formula except I question your COL which you did not list.

I can do 6.2 grains of True Blue before I see flatened primers and my normal load is 6.0 grains with a COAL of 1.580

WARNING: The Pressure Calc is just that, a calculated pressure using a mathmatical formula.
    Case trimmed to overall length 1.135
    Loaded round OAL 1.565

I got to thinking about it and double checked my zeroed scales and sure enough it was off some. I reloaded couple more rds. with 4.0 gr and fired them. Function was good sounded right and no sign of over pressure.
    Its dark out now so can't check FPS. Will do that tomorrow and LYK.
    So hold on if my post made anyone nervous.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner300

Loaded round OAL 1.565

I got to thinking about it and double checked my zeroed scales and sure enough it was off some. I reloaded couple more rds. with 4.0 gr and fired them. Function was good sounded right and no sign of over pressure.
    You might want to increase your COAL to ~ 1.580. I only seat the projectile to the first land.

If you have loaded all the aformentioned rounds, then this one should be relatively easy for you. It is just NOT AS FORGIVING. That is one of the reasons that I weigh every charge instead of throwing them because a .1 or .2 grain overcharge is enough to ruin your day.

Let me know if I can help further. I have load tables for the FiveseveN, PS90SBR and PS90 Rifle ranging from 28g projectiles to 55g projectiles.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter wolfdragon's Avatar
    could I get a copy of those load tables? I guy down here wants to add 5.7x28 to his reload repertoire

does every other round I can think of, i think he just wants a challenge lol

Quote Originally Posted by gunner300

Loaded round OAL 1.565

You might want to increase your COAL to ~ 1.580. I only seat the projectile to the first land.

If you have loaded all the aformentioned rounds, then this one should be relatively easy for you. It is just NOT AS FORGIVING. That is one of the reasons that I weigh every charge instead of throwing them because a .1 or .2 grain overcharge is enough to ruin your day.

Let me know if I can help further. I have load tables for the FiveseveN, PS90SBR and PS90 Rifle ranging from 28g projectiles to 55g projectiles.

Well today was nice and the chrono has a new battery. The 4.0gr charge was wasted on a low battery. I ended up with 1540 fps with 4.5 grs of True Blue took it up to 5.0 grs. and it jumped to 1845 . I don't know why it jumped 300fps but it did and I checked the scales again all good , I loaded a few more at 5.0 and it was the same 1840-1850. I then backed down to 4.6 grs and it was 1545 to 1555 but at this speed I shot a group at 35yds with 3 rds making one hole smaller than a dime.

Maybe I got a realy tight chamber???? I can live with this 4.6gr charge with this bullet as I was wanting something that will not expand on small game.
    I'll take your offer of your load data.
    Thank you very much.
    gunner300@embarqmail.com

I'd like to get a copy of your reload tables for the Five-seveN, HK. I plan to start reloading this round later this year when I get all the stuff.

ashleyar at wildblue dot net
    Thanks.
    ~
    Ashley

Links