FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree4Thanks
  • 3 Post By Smurky
  • 1 Post By Smurky

Thread: Spherical Powder for SCAR 17 SBR

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin

Spherical Powder for SCAR 17 SBR

I use a single stage Forster press and a Chargemaster to produce long range loads with 168 and 175 gr bullets and works well for me for long range accurate loads. I am now using the SCAR 17SBR suppressed with a Saker in a 3Gun Heavy class so I want reasonably accurate rounds but not shooting really long distance. I want to 1. increase production and 2. reduce the cost a bit so I will be loading "plinking" rounds with 150 gr Hornady FMJs on a Dillon 550. I am looking for a powder that will meter reasonably well on the Dillon. I have some H335 to start with but wondering if anyone else has a favorite powder that has metered well through a Dillon powder measure they've used for loading 762X51, 308 win with around 150 gr bullets.
    LESTER, hillbillyjim and FS2KSTD thanked this.

Do the short stick powders like varget not meter well in the Dillon? I have used a powder throw with Varget to do non-precision 5.56, and did not notice a large variance on the 10% or so that I weighed. If I am not loading for accuracy, .1 or .2 gr is not a big deal as long as your load is not at the top of the pressure chart. I typically use the chargemaster and Varget when I do 7.62 with a single stage press, so do not have experience with the drop on a Dillon.

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiles View Post
    Do the short stick powders like varget not meter well in the Dillon? I have used a powder throw with Varget to do non-precision 5.56, and did not notice a large variance on the 10% or so that I weighed. If I am not loading for accuracy, .1 or .2 gr is not a big deal as long as your load is not at the top of the pressure chart. I typically use the chargemaster and Varget when I do 7.62 with a single stage press, so do not have experience with the drop on a Dillon.
    Yes not so good with the Dillon measure, 4064, Varget and RE15 were all about the same. The charges can vary a bit more .2-.3 and occasionally will bridge. When there's a bridge the first one is way under charged and the next overcharged and spills powder and is a real PIA. I lose the productivity gains with the clean up.

The Dillon has been great loading spherical powders for pistol, 300blk and 223/556.
    Last edited by Smurky; 06-19-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    LESTER thanked this.

Sponsored Links