Most accurate powder measure?

FN Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Most accurate powder measure?

Most accurate powder measure?

I've read through the stickys, for the most part.

I'm not an expert, but I have loading basics down.
    No experience with anything other than 45acp/38spl/44mag
    I know the cartridge is different, being bottleneck, so I'm going to take it slow.

I've never cleaned my brass, but I do wipe them down and I clean the primer pockets out.
    I have an unused Forster original trimmer and Sinclair hand priming tool (bought in case I ever reloaded .30

My question is about powder measures. I have always wanted one of the automatic ones with the digital scale attached, but they cost a lot.
    Should I just keep the Lee measure I have and spend money on a digital scale, individually weigh each charge, and do them one at a time?

Current setup:

Lee Turret Press
    Lee Perfect Powder Measure
    Lee bare-bones scale

Thanks-

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (blue shirt) Hocktl's Avatar
    Probably the most accurate way is to measure each load individualy.

I use a dillon 550 and it volume measures and it's pretty spot on with some powders. With others, not so much. Varget doesn't meter to well in it but 380, 231 and many other are really accurate.
    It's the Soldier, not the reporter
    Who has given us the freedom of the press.
    It's the Soldier, not the poet,
    Who has given us the freedom of speech.
    It's the Soldier, not the politicians
    That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    The most accurate would be a good beam scale. Second (also a close first) is the electronic digital that will measure each charge as it dispenses. My RCBS is usually spot on but design limitations make it somewhere around +/- .1 grain readout. For example, if you are measuring 6 grains, the scale will show 6 grains even if it is 5.95 grains up to 6.04 grains, but it is usually much closer than around +/- .05 grains if you do a comparison using a beam scale. For non 5.7X28 my Hornady progressive with the auto powder dispenser is good enough but there are issues with some powders.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING A LEE POWDER MEASURER WITH THE 5.7 CARTRIDGE. Weigh each charge individually. This becomes more and more critical the closer you get to a max load as that .1 grain difference can become a catastrophic event if it is on the high side

I use my RCBS Charge Master for the 5.7 cartridges and will weigh each charge twice if I am near max loadings.
    theburren thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    The most accurate would be a good beam scale. Second (also a close first) is the electronic digital that will measure each charge as it dispenses. My RCBS is usually spot on but design limitations make it somewhere around +/- .1 grain readout. For example, if you are measuring 6 grains, the scale will show 6 grains even if it is 5.95 grains up to 6.04 grains, but it is usually much closer than around +/- .05 grains if you do a comparison using a beam scale. For non 5.7X28 my Hornady progressive with the auto powder dispenser is good enough but there are issues with some powders.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING A LEE POWDER MEASURER WITH THE 5.7 CARTRIDGE. Weigh each charge individually. This becomes more and more critical the closer you get to a max load as that .1 grain difference can become a catastrophic event if it is on the high side

I use my RCBS Charge Master for the 5.7 cartridges and will weigh each charge twice if I am near max loadings.
    Thank you. Thats the info I was looking for.
    My Lee beam scale is time consuming to use... thats why I was thinking an electronic. If I were to use the Lee Perfect Measure, I would then weigh each
    charge individually before loading the case.. So I would like to get a digital scale now, that I could then use with something like the RCBS Chargemaster in the future when $$ allows..

Is there a better one than the RCBS that someone has experience with, that will allow me to piece together over time?

Last Q:
    Has anyone used the Forster Original Trimmer for 5/7?

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theburren View Post
    Thank you. Thats the info I was looking for.
    My Lee beam scale is time consuming to use... thats why I was thinking an electronic. If I were to use the Lee Perfect Measure, I would then weigh each
    charge individually before loading the case.. So I would like to get a digital scale now, that I could then use with something like the RCBS Chargemaster in the future when $$ allows..

Is there a better one than the RCBS that someone has experience with, that will allow me to piece together over time?

Last Q:
    Has anyone used the Forster Original Trimmer for 5/7?
    No info on the Forster Original Trimmer.

I use a Hornady Cam Lock trimmer. I like the fact that it locks the base of the casing into the trimmer and with the use of a RCBS three way cutter, I can trim, chamfer, and deburr at the same time. The RCBS trimmer I have with the EA trim plate just does not hold the cartridge securely enough or perpendicular enough to the cutter for me (IMHO) and you end up with wobble that will not give you a perpendicular trim. I had to modify a shell holder for the Cam Lock trimmer for it to work but now that it has been done, it is a easy as 1 2 3 to do the job. The shell holder modification required is simple. You have to open up the hole in the shell holder to fit onto the cam lock trimmer. A drill, two drill bits and a bit of cutting oil and it's done. The only down side is that you can not use the shell holder for anything else as the hole has to be enlarged enough that if you use the shell holder in the press, the case will slide down the hole as it had to be enlarged (unless the rod has been changed since I purchased mine).

Here is a pic of the enlarged holed shell holder next to a standard shell holder. The one on the right has the enlarged hole to fit the cam lock trimmer.

DSCN0015.JPGDSCN0012.JPG

Hornady Cam lok Trimmer: Cabela's: Hornady® Cam-Lock™ Trimmer

There is a piston on the cam lock that butts up against the bottem of the case which holds the case perpendicular to the cutter. It is very easy to tell if you have a case that is out of round and thus needs to be disposed of.

The RCBS Charmaster comes in two parts, the scale and the dispenser. You can buy the scale and then add on the dispenser when money permits. RCBS, Hornady, and other manufacturers make these combo scales but you would need to shop around to see which one will fit your needs and budget at this time.

RCBS Scale: Cabela's: RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Digital Scale

RCBS Powder Dispenser: RCBS ChargeMaster Powder Dispenser, Tumblers & Scales, Reloading, Shooting : Cabela's

RCBS Complete Unit: Cabela's: RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Scale/Dispenser Combo

Hornady Unit: Cabela's: Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Auto Charge™ Powder Dispenser

NOTE: Shop around. These items are available for a lesser price at different retailers and I posted these links only for "show and tell".
    Last edited by HK SD9 Tactical; 03-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Get a good digital scale, and use a powder trickler.

Get it close, then trickle the powder.

Trickler, like this:

RCBS Powder Trickler - Sinclair Intl

Here's a good scale, with an air shield:

Hornady Lock and Load Bench Scale - Sinclair Intl
    theburren thanked this.
    AMP Engineering PS90 trigger installation video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Mag rollers installation video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Ext. Mag release installation video:

January 2017 OBAMA will leave, with nothing left behind.

Awesome. Thanks again.

The Hornady Cam Lock trimmer looks a lot like the Forster. I'm going to have to call Forster when off work and see what info they have re. 5-7 trimming.
    I've never reloaded anything that needed trimming, but I'm assuming that the 5-7 definitely will need it routinely?
    After each reload?

How many reloads are you guys getting on the 5-7?
    3? 5?
    I get 8-10 no problem with 44 and 45...
    But I load to light pressures.

I should have picked up my brass from the other day, but they were all buried in l;eaves and pine needles..
    Impossible to locate.
    I'll have to lay a blanket or something down next time~

5-7 is $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYtec View Post
    Get a good digital scale, and use a powder trickler. Get it close, then trickle the powder.
    Trickler, like this:
    RCBS Powder Trickler - Sinclair Intl
    Here's a good scale, with an air shield:
    Hornady Lock and Load Bench Scale - Sinclair Intl

I see. Nice.. I'm guessing that I will need a really small funnel to dump into the 5-7? That case mouth is pretty small.
    But I see how you guys are doing this.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theburren View Post
    Awesome. Thanks again.

The Hornady Cam Lock trimmer looks a lot like the Forster. I'm going to have to call Forster when off work and see what info they have re. 5-7 trimming.
    I've never reloaded anything that needed trimming, but I'm assuming that the 5-7 definitely will need it routinely?
    After each reload?

How many reloads are you guys getting on the 5-7?
    3? 5?
    I get 8-10 no problem with 44 and 45...
    But I load to light pressures.

I should have picked up my brass from the other day, but they were all buried in l;eaves and pine needles..
    Impossible to locate.
    I'll have to lay a blanket or something down next time~

5-7 is $$$.

The 5.7x28 case will need to be trimmed after every firing. Size first then trim. This is pretty normal for bottle nose cases. There will be lots of shoulder movement due to the blow back design of the firearm and most cases will fail at the shoulder or neck.

Depends on the load. Hot loads - maybe one, two or three. Depends entirely on the load.

Normal loads, maybe up to five or six. Once you have loaded a bunch of them a couple of times, you will see the degredation of the cases very rapidly.

What experience do yo have in reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    The 5.7x28 case will need to be trimmed after every firing. Size first then trim. This is pretty normal for bottle nose cases. There will be lots of shoulder movement due to the blow back design of the firearm and most cases will fail at the shoulder or neck.

Depends on the load. Hot loads - maybe one, two or three. Depends entirely on the load.

Normal loads, maybe up to five or six. Once you have loaded a bunch of them a couple of times, you will see the degredation of the cases very rapidly.

What experience do yo have in reloading?
    I've loaded probably only 1500-1700 rounds total...
    500 x 44 mag, 700-800 x 45acp, and a few hundred or so 38 spl.

When I first reloaded 45acp, I took a long time with the turret. One step at a time, double and triple checked OAL, charge, case integrity. I don't ever want to blow my face off..

So I will be the same way with the 5-7, and with .308 when I try that cartridge.

My main concern with the 5-7 will be case integrity, looking for bulging and cracks.. and over/ under charging..

Nice and slow will be my motto, until I get the feel for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links