Concealed Vehicle Carry (CVC) Options for Car/SUV/Truck

FN Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Bullseye Shooter Art SC's Avatar

Concealed Vehicle Carry (CVC) Options for Car/SUV/Truck

Concealed Vehicle Carry (CVC) Options - For the carrying/transport and ready drawing of a defense sidearm within a vehicle using a device specifically designed for that purpose.

Note to Admin: I had considered putting this post in the Holster or even FNP Accessory forums but thought it would actually be seen, contributed toward and possibly more helpful if it were here. However, I bow to whereever you might think best.

Reasons For This Post: While I carry a Glock 23 or S&W 642 (or both) on my person, I also have designated vehicle weapons for both me and my wife. Presently this is the Taurus Judge, which we both enjoy shooting and find extremely effective for it's role (within 15 ft). Much like with the FNP-45 / FNP-45 USG I am only just now beginning to find holsters dedicated to it. Thus, by default, the "car holster" that we presently use is an Uncle Mike's #2 Sidekick jammed between the seat and console. Yes, it has fallen occassionally when I have had to brake hard. What's more (and this part is even more disconcerting), when you pull the grip free the holster is still attached. Thus, two hands are needed to unstrap it and then pull off the holster so you can get to the trigger. This is awkward just to practice. I can't imagine my self, much less my wife, trying to bring the gun to bear under duress. Unless we can see or fully anticipate a violent situation coming, this makes having the Judge (or nay other weapon so holstered/concealed) almost useless! It would be nice if the type of CVC suggested would work for the Judge and DEFINITELY for my new FNP-45 USG. It doesn't physically have to be the same device, per se, but the same model/type that could be quickly changed out as we entered or exited the vehicle.

The Ground Rules: To keep this post on topic and more useful to others down the road (not to mention less chance of it becoming boring through digressions about local laws, safety, etc.) please do not bother with suggestions involving use of the following:
    - on person holster (e.g. cross carry holsters like the Galco Phoenix)
    - glove box
    - console
    - under or behind seats
    - car safes or lock boxes
    - Moosad (loose between the knees or in the crotch)
    - Body Guard (under the thigh)
    Note: These methods are NOT what is in question. Those suggestions have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere and, I've found, often end up in sniping at other peoples opinions. The last two methods could/would result with some of us leaking body fluids on the upholstery. The others could, most likely, have an end result of one being minus a car, hurt and/or dead before they could implement those methods quickly enough to stop a car-jacker or other sudden violent assault.

THE BIG QUESTION: If you have and carry a sidearm as a Concealed Vehicle Weapon (CVW) how DO or WOULD you "holster" it in your vehicle? Actual use or opinions on what is being offered out there are welcome.

Here are some Contenders that have been found thus far:

1 - The Safe Packer - Shown is the "Government" model being used as a Vehicle Holster - product offered by Wilderness Tactical
    See more details and retail info at: http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

2 - The Kingston Car Seat Holster - product sold by DeSantis Leather
    See more details and retail info at: http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html

3 - The "Seat Buddy" Vehicle Holster - product offered by Security Pro
    See more details and retail info at: http://www.securityprousa.com/vesehocarseh.html

What do you mean, "...too many guns" in my house?!! Just how many knives do you have in your kitchen? Well, wouldn't that make you a "blade" nut?

I smell another sticky Art...

Nice job

I appreciate this, as I'm a newb to handguns and concealed carry and such. I should ask my uncle where he hid his guns in his issued vehicle (he's retired FBI). My cousin once said she found 3 hiding places. Not sure if he used all of them

Uncle Mike's Inside the Waistband holster in the center console. Gun comes right out.

I have never seen some of the holsters you showed pics of - they are pretty kewl. But the issue of possibly having the gun seen when you get in and out of the car would preclude having it attached to the seat like that - or in the door storage.

The next car I get will not have a center console like I am used to. I'm not sure what I will do - I may revert to what I did in the 1990s in Louisiana. Gun tucked in between the two seats, with just a towel thrown over it to cover it.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter Art SC's Avatar
    I'm not sure what I will do - I may revert to what I did in the 1990s in Louisiana. Gun tucked in between the two seats, with just a towel thrown over it to cover it.
    The towel (only I use a shop rag) is what I presently do with the Judge in my Uncle Mikes holster.

The "visability" issue is a good point and, of course, in some states the pistol might not qualify as legally concealed (e.g. during a traffic stop). But that's not the question, the device availability and viability is what I and others want to know more about.
    What do you mean, "...too many guns" in my house?!! Just how many knives do you have in your kitchen? Well, wouldn't that make you a "blade" nut?

I think I'm gonna move this over to the Holster Subforum later....

Here's a question: Is there any way to attach a holster under/on the side of the steering column or possibly under the dash depeding on the vehicle? I'm pretty sure my uncle had something like that, but it was probably custom done. My friend just has his pistol in the center console, but that is a bit difficult to grab fast, so it's not practical.

I think if you have enough space next to the steering column under the dash, it would be a good place to set something up.

When I get my new car next year - I think I'm gonna take another look at option #1 in the original post. I think the best of the 3 to keep it concealed.

Crossbreed Surface mount.

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (RED SHIRT) jrh3's Avatar
    yeah I was gonna say the crossbreed surface mount you can put it anywhere. I have a 2008 honds ridgeline and I am gonna order one to mount on the side of my center console.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

Senior Member CAN KILL GOATS WITH HIS MIND B52U's Avatar
    Just for clarification the surface mount holster from crossbreed is called the Ohai Modular Holster. You can get it with extra velcro for alternative mounting sites. Pretty cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links