Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By djv38
  • 1 Post By Milhouse
  • 1 Post By TAL

Thread: Nikon vs Vortex opinions?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Nikon vs Vortex opinions?

I just purchased a Nikon M308. A day or two after placing the order I came across a link to a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 at a great price. Vortex - Camera Land NY just the standard crosshair, no fancy reticles for $279.
    So I am wondering which is the better scope for the money? The Nikon came with a one piece mount for $479 with flipup caps and flash hider. The viper is just the scope it appears. The glass quality and controls are the difference makers for me. Anyone have experience with both?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    +
    =

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

Glass quality is about the same in those scopes. I have an M223 and have only looked through the Viper.

The turrets on the Nikon are nice and positive and I got the BDC version which works really well for me and I prefer that over just the duplex. The one thing that bugs me is that the turrets are exposed and do not lock, which means they can get bumped and moved (I've only had this happen a couple of times due to taking it out of my range bag. Didn't realize until I took a shot and was off zero quite a bit, looked at where my turrets were and reset them to zero and all was good)
    17heavy thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (RED SHIRT)
    I've got the Vortex you describe above, I got it from Cameraland for $279, and it is super nice glass, especially considering the cost of it. I would have liked to have gotten a BDC reticle, but opted for this scope, mainly because of it's super impressive reviews. I'm not a huge Nikon fan, can't say much about them.
    17heavy thanked this.

TAL
    Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    I have a Vortex Viper pst 1x4 on my Scar 16 and really like it. The Quality of glass and warranty are unsurpassed for the $$ IMO
    I don't need much more than 4x the magnification for the ranges i typically shoot
    This is a real amateur attempt at capturing the view at 300yards at x4

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MRAD (Uncapped)
    At 1X mag
    Last edited by TAL; 01-18-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: add 1x photo
    17heavy thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 17heavy View Post
    I just purchased a Nikon M308. A day or two after placing the order I came across a link to a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 at a great price. Vortex - Camera Land NY just the standard crosshair, no fancy reticles for $279.
    So I am wondering which is the better scope for the money? The Nikon came with a one piece mount for $479 with flipup caps and flash hider. The viper is just the scope it appears. The glass quality and controls are the difference makers for me. Anyone have experience with both?
    vortex-viper-hs-25-10x44-rifle-scope-v-plex-moa-vhs-4302.jpg

Well being a hunter i prefer Vortex rile scopes. It is better than Nikon series at-least. If you are not bothering much about the price range than one can go for "Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10X44 Rifle Scope V-Plex MOA VHS-4302". Its light weighted with great magnification range and affordable price $389.99. I am experiencing the optics of Vortex and must say it is really impressive.

Senior Member FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS CDburner's Avatar

Nikon vs Vortex opinions?

Vortex gives you amazing value for the money.

Cool thanks!

I have good experience with both vortex scope and Nikon. It becomes a familiar name in the optics and spotting scopes market and develops high-end optics for hunting, nature viewing and law enforcement. These optics specifically designed and develop for bird watching, hunting, wildlife watching, law enforcement and recreational sports etc various purpose. On the other hand, Nikon is also very good scope and this optical system give to the shooters increased versatility and superlative performance with virtually any type of rifle, in any caliber and in any imaginable hunting situation. I prefer vortex than Nikon.

Links