Solving The Ammunition Shortage and Price Increase 2013

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Solving The Ammunition Shortage and Price Increase 2013

The only way to correct a shortage on a product or product class is for supply to meet demand but this will only correct the shortage not a price increase that will take time. The only way for prices to return to normal levels is for supply meeting demand over a period of time or for supply to be greater than demand. Everyone knows why there is a shortage and increased prices so the question is do you want to give your hard earned money to people selling over-priced ammunition?

The fastest way to correct the market is to allow the supply to meet demand by not purchasing ammunition for 30 days and for the next 2-4 months purchase only what you will use during this period and for people to pass this on for mass participation. Some will not be able to do this due to employment, competition or purchasing a new firearm but most of the consumers will be able to do this. There are other ways such as purchasing only what you need for your current needs, not purchasing at all until the market returns to normal or if you are sitting on a large supply put it back on the market.

I am writing this with the hope people will pass this on and participate, September 2013 would be an idea month to begin this as it will have enough time to get around to enough people to make an impact. This is similar to the gas protest where people did not purchase gasoline for a day but this had no impact as people only purchased gasoline before and after and supplies were not changed only a longer period would have made a difference but too many people need fuel to survive. Let us work together so we can enjoy our firearms and more money in our pockets.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

Prices are falling snd supply is coming back.... I will just keep on waiting it out.
    Don't make me mad then tell me to calm down. That is like shooting someone and then telling them not to bleed.

Been getting regular priced 9mm/22lr/.45 ammo from wall-mart for weeks here in Texas.

I have purchased almost no ammo the last 3-4 months and just recently bought small amounts of 9mm and 45ACP that I rarely shoot. I refuse to pay through the nose for 223 and 308 and have use less (1/2 usual amount) when I practice with my bolt guns. I think all of us have compensated in various ways. Things will continue to gradually improve. One of the biggest issues was the addition of many new gun owners, because of political issues here and I don't see that trend ending anytime in the near future.

I've stopped purchasing ammo as well, but mainly because i need to focus on other financial matters. i still find myself swinging by the ammo case at walmart, and when it has something i would normally want i have to peel myself away. But its nice that my credit card's balance is moving in a better direction lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mactruck81 View Post
    I've stopped purchasing ammo as well, but mainly because i need to focus on other financial matters. i still find myself swinging by the ammo case at walmart, and when it has something i would normally want i have to peel myself away. But its nice that my credit card's balance is moving in a better direction lol.
    Agree completely, but find myself wondering why I'm so concerned about being debt free when the Government doesn't gives a rat's ass about it? You know their answer to the problem, as usual, they will simply come after the money of those of us who have some! Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sib1948 View Post
    Agree completely, but find myself wondering why I'm so concerned about being debt free when the Government doesn't gives a rat's ass about it? You know their answer to the problem, as usual, they will simply come after the money of those of us who have some! Think about it.
    My reasoning is for self sufficiency though Ive often had the same feelings as you. But overall i would prefer to pay off my debt because when the chips are down the gov't will always bail out the credit holders and then turn a blind eye when those bail out recipients turn on their debtors.

So far everyone has missed my point except for one person which is not a bad thing but reinforces the fact that with out direct intervention by the people whom consume ammunition need to do something to change the supply and price increase. Prices will eventually return to normal levels the question is how long will it take. Personally, I do not like the fact I have to limit my time spent at the range and the number of range trips due to lack of ammunition. Sure I can reload but I would eventually have to pay for over-priced components unless I can source it at normal prices.

The reason ammunition is slowly returning to store shelves (not for many LGS or internet businesses) at normal pricing in limited quantity that quickly leaves the stores is due to lack of supply and many large national or large regional retailers are keeping normal pricing but have limited supply (some have placed purchase limits). There are regions that have a smaller consumer base that will have more access to ammunition. Many LGS, private parties and internet retailers only are pricing the ammunition at artificially high prices. Can we blame them after all it is a free country and ammunition is not a necessary goods to live like food and people are in business to make a profit so many people are willing to pay the price or many are forced to.

People have seen firearms quickly return to market and prices have fallen to close to the point before the panic but ammunition is different as you need a larger supply of it in order to use a firearm so it will take longer for supply and prices to recover. The question is why are people willing to over-pay for ammunition but fight for gun rights? Why not do both? In closing ask yourself who benefits from the lack of supply and increased prices to firearms that keep firearms and ammunition from the public.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

I never had to worry I got more then enough Ammo/Reloading Supplies stocked up to last.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (5 P's)

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan71 View Post
    The fastest way to correct the market is to allow the supply to meet demand by not purchasing ammunition for 30 days and for the next 2-4 months purchase only what you will use during this period and for people to pass this on for mass participation.
    It's funny to me that I came across this thread and in it you say this vulcan71. I'm doing the exact thing! I may not be able to bring down the prices by myself but at least i'm not contributing to the mayhem.

I told myself that I wouldn't buy any more ammo for about month (started on june 26), see how the prices would be. If they didn't change from when I started, wait another month. It is hard not to buy when there is a "good deal" out there for smk or bulk ammo but I'm trying not to give in. It's nice to see that there are others doing the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links