Hunting ammo for SCAR 17

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Hunting ammo for SCAR 17

Junior Member florida diver chris's Avatar

Question Hunting ammo for SCAR 17

I know not everyone thinks of the SCAR 17 first when they think of a hunting gun. However, in Florida we can shoot hogs all year.
    Looking for a good hog/deer/bear load that shoots well out of the SCAR 17 barrel. If it can do well at the range and serve as a self defense round to, so much the better.

I have been reading that the Federal Gold Match BTHP .308 is an amazing round, but that it is not considered a hunting round. Would like to know what other SCAR 17 owners think.

If you shoot m80 ball on a regular basis, then federal fusion 150 grain should have a very similar impact. I went through a ton of different rounds to find one that matched up with the m80 ball or 7.62 NATO. Hornady American Whitetail produced similar results with a few rounds being a bit outside. Search for the thread I started about 6 months ago and you'll get a lot of decent info.
    FN SCAR 17s, with tacticool stuff

Way easier to search when I'm using a real computer... here is the thread. Bullets for Hunting

I shoot the standard blue box federal soft points..150 grain I think they are. Never had a problem with it. Do they give match grade ammo performance? Probably not, but I've shot a few animals with them and they all dropped in their tracks. I love the rifle for hunting. It's compact and doesn't grab on limbs and brush if hunting thicker areas. My only problem with it is the noise level when fired compared to a standard long barrel hunting rifle.
    fnfalman thanked this.

Hunting ammo for SCAR 17

Like LeeMajors, Federal makes a hunting cartridge specifically designed for Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR). I used it in my AR .308, with good results; now I plan to use it in the SCAR for Deer & Hog Hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lyle Savant; 12-22-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Junior Member florida diver chris's Avatar
    I called Federal. They do not recommend using the 175 Gold Match for hunting because it is not designed to expand. He said some people use it for things like precision headshots, but good luck with that on wild boar running!

He recommends this (Fusion MSR) in the SCAR above all others because it was the first hunting round designed for specifically for short barreled sport rifles. I will order some and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Savant View Post
    Like LeeMajors, Federal makes a hunting cartridge specifically designed for Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR). I used it in my AR .308, with good results; now I plan to use it in the SCAR for Deer & Hog Hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good stuff, you shouldn't be disappointed

168 grain Amax. Never had a deer go more than a few yards after getting hit with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug308 View Post
    168 grain Amax. Never had a deer go more than a few yards after getting hit with one.
    I'm sure it kills deer, but the box specifically says it's not recommended for hunting.

I would recommend using something that has Barnes TSX type of projectile (Remington Hog Hammer would be one), also Hornady GMX as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links