FN Herstal Firearms banner

New to FNS

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Goldwing 
#1 ·
New to the forum and to FNS. I've owned several Glock 19's over the years, but never did like the feel of them. So I thought I'd try out FNH. I picked up a used (about 60 rounds through it) FNS-9 with night sights, in a trade. Traded a Kahr PM9 for it. I get to go shoot it for the first time tomorrow. I'm hoping it turns out to be my new favorite.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the FNS. I love mine.

#6 ·
It's still in the break in period so you might want to take a look at the sticky for new guns. FN's have stout springs so a heavier load is helpful when shooting early on.

#11 ·
Tkruf, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new pistol. I would like to know the pros and cons of the Kahr PM9 pistol you traded? Was the Kahr a good quality pistol? Was there any ammo that did not function well in the pistol? Did you get a good trade-in price? Thanks for your time.

#12 ·
The Kahr was a good little gun. I liked it and used it as a primary carry for quite a while switching off with a Ruger LCR. I've never had any problems with any ammo I've put through the Kahr. I have fairly small hands so the Kahr was a good fit, especially with the pinky extension style mags. The PM9 I had was the two tone with night sights so actually was valued higher than the FNS, however I was to the point that I now only occasionally care the Ruger LCR (when I want to carry with less chance of being made out), but mostly carry the Glock 26 now, and wasn't carrying the Kahr anymore (rarely). I've been wanting to get a more medium - full size gun (in 9mm) and had been looking at the FNH and Ruger SR9 when the opportunity came up. Someone had the FNS-9 up for trade and was looking for a small sub compact 9mm. I offered him the Kahr in trade and met him the next day to get the FNS.

The Kahr might have been valued dollar to dollar more than the FNS but I feel I got a good deal. I got what I wanted, with no manual safety and night sights. Went from a small gun with night sights, 3 (6 round) mags, to a medium sized gun with night sights and 3 (17 round mags).

I'm looking forward to trying out the FNS tomorrow, then I'll be holster hunting. I'm leaning toward the Kydex Tech Gunfighter. I like OWB holsters, kydex, and something that holds the gun up snug against me, not hanging out an inch from my side creating a bigger bulge under my shirt. :)

If you're thinking about a Kahr PM9, I wouldn't try to persuade you against them. They are nice guns, mine was reliable. I had a CW9 also that the frame cracked around the trigger pin. Couldn't even see the crack, it was so small. The trigger pin started working it's way out. I sent it to Kahr and they swapped every part over to a new frame and sent it back. That didn't change my mind about the PM9 thought. It seemed to hold up just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.