Advanced Armament unwilling to support SCAR 17?

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree4Thanks
  • 1 Post By BigBuckeyeGuy
  • 2 Post By DrToyHoarder
  • 1 Post By FS2KSTD

Thread: Advanced Armament unwilling to support SCAR 17?

Advanced Armament unwilling to support SCAR 17?

First, thank you for letting me join your community. I've long benefited from fnforum's members, but this is my first post here. Second, this post really isn't an anti-AAC rant, despite what it may seem. I own a few AAC cans, and wouldn't part with any of them. But...the company seems to lack interest in supporting SCAR owners.

We all know the SCAR barrel shoulder issue with various suppressor adapters. The SDN-6 is a wonderful can, and an obvious choice for a SCAR host (used mine again this last weekend, and love it). However, I don't understand AAC's apparent reluctance to create a muzzle brake (or even brake/FH combo like the Brakeout) that will work on the 17. When it first came out, AAC was informing users that the Brakeout 2.0 was okay on the 17, but their website currently says that it is not to be used on the 17, which I had verified in an email from AAC yesterday. The only suppressor adapter that AAC approves for the 17 is the Blackout flash hider. I'm left wondering what the thinking was here. If someone was really interested in concealing their position, they would be using a can, and if they are using a suppressor, having a flash hider underneath is pointless (not to mention the whole brakes-protect-the-first-baffles-in-the-can argument). And if someone doesn't have their suppressor currently attached (and yet has a "suppressor adapter" on their gun, instead of some other type of muzzle device), then why wouldn't they want to capitalize on the approximately 50% felt recoil reduction when using a 7.9lb 7.62? Low recoil is, after all, one of the 17's biggest selling points. In other words, setting up your SCAR 17 for an AAC suppressor equates to making a pretty big compromise on un-suppressed use of the gun.

If this were just a question of R&D time or a transition period to tool up for a new firearm, I would understand. But AAC has now had years to fix this issue, and more importantly, apparently doesn't have any interest in solving the problem. The email I received from AAC customer services yesterday, in response to my question about whether AAC had something in the works says "We do not recommend using the Brakeout 2.0 on the SCAR17. It just doesn't have a long enough skirt after the threads to mount on the barrel enought to allow the silencer to index correctly. At this time we do not ahve any plans of that at this time." (misspellings in original). I don't really get this. It seems that from a marketing perspective, AAC should realize that their $895.99 .30cal suppressor-buying demographic is pretty much the same as the SCAR 17-buying demographic.

I suppose this is an attempt to start a groundswell movement to push for a new AAC adapter. But I would also be grateful to hear of solutions you've come up with for making the most of your suppressed 17. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forum!
    Scar 17 lover thanked this.

Thank you, I appreciate that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

what do you expect? since AAC made that statement they have been sold to the Freedom Group which owns several other brands including remington and bushmaster who both market their products in competition with FN.

Been using the Brakeout 2.0 for 2 years with no issue. 1500 rounds- no baffle strikes. Bought a FH mount but could not get the Brakeout to come off so gave up. SilencerShop gave it thumbs up so I just stuck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FS2KSTD and Scar 17 lover thanked this.

Brakeout 2.0 has been working just fine on my 17 as well, regardless what others warn. After mounting, checked with Geissele 7.62mm Suppressor Alignment Gage and it was perfectly centered with my SDN-6.

The SCAR 17 is one of the few if not only barrels with the "lack of shoulder" issue that I know of so I can't fault AAC for not having a fire under their ass to fix the issue?
    Scar 17 lover thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

"Basic safety...it ain't quantum physics." ~akitainu

Thanks for the responses, folks. Good to know that your experiences have been fine with the Brakeout 2.0. I may give that a try.

Using a 51T deep socket on mine and sdn6 with no issues?

Have been using Breakout 2 without any issues as well

You don't have to have a brake on a 17. It is plenty soft shooting without one. The pressure wave alone will lose you friends at the range. With that being said I ran a brakeout 2.0 and 51t Flash hider on one of my 17s without issue. AAC are just covering their liability butts

Sponsored Links