FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree54Thanks

Thread: Suppressor wraps...

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Suppressor wraps...

I Have seen quite a bit of companies producing them. They look neat but the problem is... I just do not understand how they could be healthy for the suppressor. When the can heats up the last thing you want to do is retain that heat. Will it mitigate heat mirage in a pinch? Sure. Can you dump a mag and still detach the suppressor without an oven mitt? Probably... But I can't imagine prolonged firing could be healthy for a wrapped can. Are they meant for temporary use or what? For instance can I hotdog a magpul D60 with the echo trigger without burning it up and or damaging my suppressor?
    Troublesx10 thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    I wrap mine in Pita bread. That way, after a couple of mag dumps, I have Pita toast. Add a little bit of PB&J and I have lunch......

The only practical civilian use I see for them is as an anti-mirage mitigator through the scope picture. I am not a big fan of them, but that is just me. YMMV.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

I think the MAIN purpose is to mask the heat signature of the suppressor when shooting. The migrage distortion is also a big mitigator too.

I would be bad for the suppressor if kept on for long mag dumps, probably short rapid dumps as well if done repeatedly without sufficient cooling down period.

They look cool, but at the range, I'd rather look funny with a flowery oven mitt than with a fully looking suppressor with paint ruined and sticky residue from a previous wrap that was melted into a overheated suppressor.
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Use a bacon wrap! when you dump a D-60

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    Use a bacon wrap! when you dump a D-60

I want to say that I can't believe there are people that stupid.......

More chlorine in the gene pool God!
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

i have a couple of them and use them for standard shooting and precision shooting to avoid the mirage in the scope. i rarely do mag dumps because IMO its simply a waste of ammo and a few other reasons i will keep to myself.

they actually help cool a suppressor. your looking at it in the opposite. the lining of the wrap is a knomex polymer blend which helps pull the heat out of allows air to run through the fabric to dissipate it. think of it as working in the reverse of a fireman jacket.
    Hairlesswookiee and Troublesx10 thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by street doctor View Post
    i have a couple of them and use them for standard shooting and precision shooting to avoid the mirage in the scope. i rarely do mag dumps because IMO its simply a waste of ammo and a few other reasons i will keep to myself.

they actually help cool a suppressor. your looking at it in the opposite. the lining of the wrap is a knomex polymer blend which helps pull the heat out of allows air to run through the fabric to dissipate it. think of it as working in the reverse of a fireman jacket.
    I agree with this to a certain extent. While I do believe that the material may wick away a small amount of heat, a breeze on any day is better that wrapping the suppressor into a blanket. And for cold climate, I think it would act more as an insulator than a wick.

But again, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    I agree with this to a certain extent. While I do believe that the material may wick away a small amount of heat, a breeze on any day is better that wrapping the suppressor into a blanket. And for cold climate, I think it would act more as an insulator than a wick.

But again, YMMV.
    yeah but you can't rule out the cool factor. you know at the range the more crap you have on the rifle, the more of an operator you are.

like i mentioned, i mainly use mine when shooting single shot for groups. i would definately remove it if i was shooting an entire mag.

to me the main advantage is the ability to secure a rifle when done w/o having to wait 15-20 minutes on the suppressor to cool down.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Well what works best for me is a plain old cotton dish towel or wash cloth ( Egyptian cotton of course = ).
    I have a Nomex Kevlar pouch for storage with a pull string that works OK.... but simply wrapping the can while attached with a cotton dish towel allows for expedient storage . ( JIMO )
    Helps with a quick get away if blowing shat up also .....!

Disclaimer: Yes I had to promise " An honorable " county judge .... aka" Your Honor " !!!! That I wouldn't do that again in his/our county !
    Last edited by mjk1; 01-28-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Trump " See You In court " ......

I see there are many kinds and many different manufacturers, but don't know anything about them or the difference in them. I've also seen some 25.00 and as high as 200.00+$-- what is a decent amount to spend on one and where to buy? Links? I would invest 50-80.00 on one- but have 2 needs. A 5.56 and a 7.62. Not to high jack but hope it adds to the discussion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links