Where are you guys placing the engraving on your SBR's?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree23Thanks

Thread: Where are you guys placing the engraving on your SBR's?

Where are you guys placing the engraving on your SBR's?

I read that you can engrave the "maker" info on the barrel of an SBR.

I have always been under the impression that it had to be on the serialized portion (lower or upper in the Scar's case)

The caliber engraving on the barrel is GTG but didn't know you could put your name or the trust's name on the barrel. I've never seen anyone do this.

It is completely legal to put the makers info on the barrel. The serial number must be on the receiver.

A short drive from the center of the universe
    I was wondering if anyone has had the engraving done on the fire control group housing? I would like to put mine there. Since this part is composite, the engraving would not leave raw shiny metal exposed as it would on the receiver. Plus if I decide to send it somewhere and get it done (my local engraver wants $91) I would not be shipping the registered receiver requiring special handling and risk it getting lost.

Sorry, this post is confusing because I was thinking about my CZ Scorpion which I failed to mention. I had just been reading in the Scorpion thread and realized this post isn't specifically about them.
    Last edited by 17heavy; 03-16-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    FS2KSTD and CPTdaz thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 17heavy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had the engraving done on the fire control group housing? I would like to put mine there. Since this part is composite, the engraving would not leave raw shiny metal exposed as it would on the receiver. Plus if I decide to send it somewhere and get it done (my local engraver wants $91) I would not be shipping the registered receiver requiring special handling and risk it getting lost.

Sorry, this post is confusing because I was thinking about my CZ Scorpion which I failed to mention. I had just been reading in the Scorpion thread and realized this post isn't specifically about them.
    I don't think there's any rules that would prevent you from engraving on the lower or even the barrel, but realize that if you ever want to switch lower you would need to engrave the new one before installing on the gun. Same with barrel or any other parts. For this reason most people simply just do their engraving directly onto the "firearm" piece of their guns.

If you want cheap engraving, check out local gun shows, there are couple of engravers I know that attend gun shows and they charge around 50~60 for engraving.
    17heavy and Smurky thanked this.
    "And here remain with your uncertainty! Let every feeble rumor shake your hearts! Your enemies, with nodding of their plumes, fan you into despair! Have the power still to banish your defenders; till at length your ignorance, which finds not till it feels, making but reservation of yourselves, still your own foes, deliver you, as most abated captives to some nation that won you without blows!"

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Keep it simple and engrave the registered part of the NFA item. Yes you can engrave the barrel.

I engrave my NFA items on the registered part. The lower on AR15 SBR, the receiver on the PS90 SBR, and the right half of the SBR Scorpion receiver. Makes it easier especially with the AR15 SBR lower that can be configured as an AR15 SBR, 9mm SBR, 22 cal SBR, or 300BO SBR.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    It is also usually a lot easier (cheaper) to engrave on a flat surface.
    hillbillyjim, CPTdaz, LESTER and 1 others thanked this.

Do the receiver and remember that the engraving must be plainly visible. Not under a grip, or stock etc...
    akitainu and BuckRogers2000 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    Do the receiver and remember that the engraving must be plainly visible. Not under a grip, or stock etc...
    Is that explicitly written somewhere as a requirement though? On my mp5 sbr my engraver put the info inside the collapsible stock grooves in the receiver, so when the stock is collapsed it would obstruct the markings. He claimed that's where he always put the engraving on mp5s and he's been doing this for a while.
    "And here remain with your uncertainty! Let every feeble rumor shake your hearts! Your enemies, with nodding of their plumes, fan you into despair! Have the power still to banish your defenders; till at length your ignorance, which finds not till it feels, making but reservation of yourselves, still your own foes, deliver you, as most abated captives to some nation that won you without blows!"

Quote Originally Posted by CPTdaz View Post
    Is that explicitly written somewhere as a requirement though? On my mp5 sbr my engraver put the info inside the collapsible stock grooves in the receiver, so when the stock is collapsed it would obstruct the markings. He claimed that's where he always put the engraving on mp5s and he's been doing this for a while.
    That requirement is clearly outlined in the NFA handbook. Where you have yours I wouldn't worry as it is on the outside of the receiver. It's the spots like on the rear tang where the ATF came done on guys saying its a No No if you have to remove a part to see
    CPTdaz thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Correct. NFA guidelines say clearly visible without the need to remove any part to see the engraving. So yes, even on the barrel it has to be clearly visible and not on the bottom of the barrel or any place that is covered up.

Obviously the purpose behind this was to make is very easy for the field agents to see the engraving without having to dismantle the firearm to find it.
    CPTdaz thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links