Starting the process

FN Forum

Google Search

Starting the process

Hello everyone,

I just want to make sure I'm clear on how to start this process etc.

I was talking with a gun store owner, who in all fairness knows nothing about SBR's or the legality of owning one, and he didn't really have any recommendations on where to start. So I'd like to ask what should be my first step and frankly I'm thinking about contacting my sheriff's office before I really bother with anything else just to see what their policy is and what kind of a response I'd get.

In the end it'd be towards the end of the year before I can get one so I know that the answer could easily be different from what I would get now but I don't really know what questions to ask and to whom specifically.

Re: Starting the process

Quote Originally Posted by Tango082
    Hello everyone,

I just want to make sure I'm clear on how to start this process etc.

I was talking with a gun store owner, who in all fairness knows nothing about SBR's or the legality of owning one, and he didn't really have any recommendations on where to start. So I'd like to ask what should be my first step and frankly I'm thinking about contacting my sheriff's office before I really bother with anything else just to see what their policy is and what kind of a response I'd get.

In the end it'd be towards the end of the year before I can get one so I know that the answer could easily be different from what I would get now but I don't really know what questions to ask and to whom specifically.
    The first step, if you haven't already, is read the SBR sticky posted above thoroughly. Then find a person or company in your state that does this. They will have the best advice. Look in local gun forums (or on this forum) and search the internet for Class III manufacturers. They are probably your best bet.

Talking to the Sheriff's office is good too, because you can get an idea about how to procede, and if they are going to be a-holes about it.

In all honesty when I posted this I checked for a sticky and somehow managed to miss that. xD

I'm actually asking what should I do BEFORE the F1...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango082
    I'm actually asking what should I do BEFORE the F1...
    Find a C3 dealer in your area and drop by for a chat.

They should be able to give you details on the process, help with forms and questions, and let you know if your area has friendly CLEO sign offs.

The unfortunate thing about North Carolina is there aren't many C3's and there definitely aren't any in my county. I'm only aware of 4 or 5 instate and not a darn one is within an hour and a half of me. Though I am hoping the newly elected Sheriff will at least have mercy on me and sign my sheet.

Marvin Hutchison | 704/616-0310 (Cell)
    This is my Class 3 dealer located in Shelby NC
    ..._...|..____________________, ,
    ....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// (.) ), ----"
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

Im in Collier County Florida and I took my form to my CLEO and everyone I talked to (Duty Officer, Record Dept., Sheriff) had never seen this form before. Makes me wonder if I'm the only person in my county who's ever done this legally!
    Those who would give up essential Liberty,
    to purchase a little temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

SCAR17 / SCAR 16 SBR / PS90 SBR / FiveseveN

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFlorida
    Im in Collier County Florida and I took my form to my CLEO and everyone I talked to (Duty Officer, Record Dept., Sheriff) had never seen this form before. Makes me wonder if I'm the only person in my county who's ever done this legally!
    A lot of LEO's and CLEO's are not aware that you can make a SBR or SBS.

They need to be educated.

Agreed, SBR'ing a PS90 and KRISS, so I had a lot of paperwork to hand them they had no idea what to do with at first until I gave them a long explanation.

Does support my view of LEO's not understanding firearms laws to the extent they try to enforce them, however.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty,
    to purchase a little temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

SCAR17 / SCAR 16 SBR / PS90 SBR / FiveseveN

Sponsored Links