SCAR 16S Suppressor... - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thanks Tree28Thanks

Thread: SCAR 16S Suppressor...

I'm leaning towards the AAC Ranger3. I want a QD more, but the budgets against it. I've heard great reviews on the Ranger, and just wanted to hear some more from others on this forum. Pros? Cons? Other ideas? I'd prefer to stick to 5.56 silencers. Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    I am still not a fan of direct thread on suppressor, too many possible issues. Honestly for your budget I would look at the YHM SS Phantom QD suppressor $612 retail vs $550 retail for the Ranger3. If you PM SgtStyker I would be surprised if he couldn't do better on the price for the YHM.

Stainless Q.D. Phantom 5.56 - $612.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

Stainless Q.D. Phantom 5.56

View Larger

YHM is proud to offer our Stainless Phantom Sound Suppressor. This suppressor features all 300 series Stainless Steel and Inconel 718 construction for increased strength and performance. This suppressor offers the same sound reduction as our standard Phantom model but in an all-stainless construction. YHM's Q.D. Flash Hider eliminates 99% of flash while the Patented Sound Tech baffle design (U.S. Patent #7,073,426) reduced muzzle noise by up to 35 decibels. Specifications:

Caliber........................................... ........................................ .223 / 5.56
    Overall Length............................................ ..........................6.875 Inches
    Diameter.......................................... ....................................1.500 Inches
    Weight............................................ ...................................... 20 Ounces
    Suppression Level............................................. ........................... -35 dB
    Material............. 300 Series Stainless Steel and Heat Treated Inconel 718
    Finish............................................ .....................................Matte Black
    Method of Attachment........................................ ........... Q.D. Flash Hider

Warranty:

YHM offers a lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship and will repair or replace, free of charge, any sound suppressor manufactured by YHM. The Phantom Flash Hider must be installed by a licensed gunsmith or the warranty will be considered null and void. Use of an aftermarket mounting system will result in the warranty being considered null and void. This warranty does not cover damage to the sound suppressor and/or host firearm resulting in whole or in part from criminal or negligent use, improper or careless handling, modifications, defective, improper hand-loaded, or reloaded ammunition, or neglect. This warranty does not cover damage to the sound suppressor or host firearm due to improper installation of the Flash Hider, the Sound Suppressor, or an improperly threaded barrel. The minimum barrel length for which the suppressor is warranted is 10.5 inches. Any repairs not covered by this warranty will be charged to the owner.
    El Nino thanked this.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    I'm leaning towards the AAC Ranger3. I want a QD more, but the budgets against it. I've heard great reviews on the Ranger, and just wanted to hear some more from others on this forum. Pros? Cons? Other ideas? I'd prefer to stick to 5.56 silencers. Thanks in advance!
    What do you want the can to do? Do you want to keep the overall length of your host wpn short? Just wanna knock down some of the bark of 5.56? The Ranger would do fine - but it will not be hearing safe.... And to be honest (and I am sure other will chime in here) 5.56 to suppress just sucks - then there is gas blow back in the face(alot of this stems from baffle design) - and if this is gonna your 1st purchase...go somewhere/anywhere you can go to demo the cans you are looking at...and dont let the thread on thing bother you...it will only be a PITA if your barrel threads are not concentric i.e. quickest way to get a baffle strike...and 2nd if you plan on shooting between suppressed and un-suppressed another PITA to thread on then thread off your can and or move between host wpns.

I have had a YHM in 5.56 QD - built like a tank and will do fine on F/A fire - what I did not like (I sold mine for a AAC) YHM weight...it will make your wpn (my MK 18 nose heavy) - the QD mounts kinda ugly and at the time - I only had the bird cage but wanted a brake/compensator....PWS FSC556 Compensator was the only one to make a brake - I wanted this to decrease baffle erosion...if you run ANY can on a SBR 10.5 or under...baffle erosin will and should be a point of concern when you purchase your can....now if you are going to just plink...then dont worry about it...but do keep it in mind. I shot the YHM on my 7.5" Adams Arms upper...I would only do this w/my YHM...never thought about doing that w/my AAC - in that case the weight of the YHM can on the 7.5 made the wpn balance nice...

SO bottom line up front:

If you can - go shoot what you want to purchase if that is not an option - GOOGLE my friend and Youtube search as much as you can...dont let the sound on crappy iPhone vids sway your opinion - nothing beats hard numbers in db that has been tested look for testing in this manner:

METER, MICROPHONES, CALIBRATOR, SOFTWARE & WEATHER METER used:
    -G.R.A.S. 1/4" pressure microphone, Type 40BD - Prepolarised, High-Level
    -G.R.A.S. CCP Preamplifier, Type 26CB
    -National Instruments NI USB-4432 - DAQ (Data Acquisition) 102.4 kS/s, 24 Bits, +/- 40 V, IEPE
    -National Instruments LabVIEW Full with sound a vibration toolkit (running from a MAC BOOK PRO)
    -G.R.A.S. Type 42AB Sound Calibrator
    -Kestrel 4500NV Weather Meter

SOUND TESTING PROCEDURES:
    -Both MICs are calibrated/validated before each test
    -The "Muzzle" MIC is placed @ 1 meter from & 90 degrees to the left of the muzzle (as per "mil-spec" testing criteria)
    -The "ear" MIC is placed @ the shooter's right ear
    -The tip of the distal end of the silencer is "centered" on top of a reference tripod, IOT ensure proper distance is maintained from the muzzle MIC during testing
    -All atmospheric conditions are measured automatically and recorded for each test (they have a HUGE impact on the results of the test and can't be ignored)

SOUND TESTING METHODOLOGY:
    -Each "test" will comprise ten shots fired at an interval of approximately 3 seconds. The "results" of each test will be the AVERAGE of the ten shots, as recorded "at the muzzle" and "at the shooter's ear".
    -For each silencer we'll conduct several "sound tests" over several months, IOT record how the can performs under various atmospheric conditions (temp. and humidity have can have a significant impact on how a suppressor "performs"). This will allow us to provide an accurate performance estimate for each silencer - we'll average all of the test results over time (there won't be any "one hit wonders") and each suppressor will have a "running average".

And in final - its your hard earned money....buy what you want that fits YOUR needs...
    Rangerone, El Nino and 14R thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bayonet14 View Post
    METER, MICROPHONES, CALIBRATOR, SOFTWARE & WEATHER METER used:
    -G.R.A.S. 1/4" pressure microphone, Type 40BD - Prepolarised, High-Level
    -G.R.A.S. CCP Preamplifier, Type 26CB
    -National Instruments NI USB-4432 - DAQ (Data Acquisition) 102.4 kS/s, 24 Bits, +/- 40 V, IEPE
    -National Instruments LabVIEW Full with sound a vibration toolkit (running from a MAC BOOK PRO)
    -G.R.A.S. Type 42AB Sound Calibrator
    -Kestrel 4500NV Weather Meter

SOUND TESTING PROCEDURES:
    -Both MICs are calibrated/validated before each test
    -The "Muzzle" MIC is placed @ 1 meter from & 90 degrees to the left of the muzzle (as per "mil-spec" testing criteria)
    -The "ear" MIC is placed @ the shooter's right ear
    -The tip of the distal end of the silencer is "centered" on top of a reference tripod, IOT ensure proper distance is maintained from the muzzle MIC during testing
    -All atmospheric conditions are measured automatically and recorded for each test (they have a HUGE impact on the results of the test and can't be ignored)

SOUND TESTING METHODOLOGY:
    -Each "test" will comprise ten shots fired at an interval of approximately 3 seconds. The "results" of each test will be the AVERAGE of the ten shots, as recorded "at the muzzle" and "at the shooter's ear".
    -For each silencer we'll conduct several "sound tests" over several months, IOT record how the can performs under various atmospheric conditions (temp. and humidity have can have a significant impact on how a suppressor "performs"). This will allow us to provide an accurate performance estimate for each silencer - we'll average all of the test results over time (there won't be any "one hit wonders") and each suppressor will have a "running average".
    Hi Bayonet, cool write-up. You mentioned "per mil-specs". Can you reply with what mil-spec standards you were stating from? I work in the Quality department, lab validation and am always interested in testing standards.

I am also interested in the YHM Phantom suppressor for both my SCAR17s and SR-556 (to share on both rifles) and interested in how YHM determined a 32dB reduction in sound (at least for the .30 estimate.

Thanks for taking the time for a detailed write-up and sharing with us.
    bayonet14 thanked this.

PM Sent

Talking

bayonet14, Thank you very much. That gives me a good place to restart. The look begins once again. It's a can that will be for plinking mostly, on a 16 inch barrel. The weight does concern me, and I've looked at the YHM Ti QD because its only 12 ounces. Again, thank you for such an incredible write up.

Also, does anyone know a good lawyer in Philly for gun trusts? LEO's are apparently refusing signature in Philadelphia. Thanks in advance!

bayonet14, Thank you very much. That gives me a good place to restart. The look begins once again. It's a can that will be for plinking mostly, on a 16 inch barrel. The weight does concern me, and I've looked at the YHM Ti QD because its only 12 ounces. Again, thank you for such an incredible write up.
    Heard good things from some folks running the YHM Ti on a 300BLK.... with both supers and subs ....
    El Nino thanked this.

As others have said, the YHM Phantom SS is a great can, it just weighs a ton. Mine is now on permanent gun safe duty since I started buying Surefires. Gemtech is another company to look into if you're looking for something decent that isn't Surefire or AAC prices. Their thread-on Trek model is only 550 dollars.

Hey all. I'm looking to get a suppressor for my Scar 16s and was looking for some advice. What works and what doesn't? My only restriction is the price. I'm looking to keep it under $700 (Not including the stamp). Try and sell me a suppressor. From what I've heard the AAC Ranger3 is sounding good. Any advice is great appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Ben
    I did a G5 for a customer with a 16S who was very pleased with the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links