FN Herstal Firearms banner

SCAR 16S Suppressor...

21K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  GoingQuiet 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm looking to get a suppressor for my Scar 16s and was looking for some advice. What works and what doesn't? My only restriction is the price. I'm looking to keep it under $700 (Not including the stamp). Try and sell me a suppressor. From what I've heard the AAC Ranger3 is sounding good. Any advice is great appreciated. Thanks everyone! :th_653:

Ben

Reactions: AZFN
#2 ·
YHM phantom(.308 for me) is what I have on order. good reviews from most. There are many more out there that will get the job done also, I just chose the Phantom as they have quick detach adaptors you can put on various rifles. Just a quick turn and any of my .308/.223 rifles are good to go ;)

#4 ·
What he said. With a 308 can you can use it on 300 blackout, 7.62 anf 5.56. I own YHM also and it's great. A little heavy but great. You can get one from SgtStrykerUSMC43 right here on this forum.

Reactions: El Nino
#3 ·
For that price range I'd look at the YHM QD Stainless Phantom in 5.56.

Personally I'm not a big fan of thread on suppressors for my semi-autos, I don't like threading the suppressor on and off of the fine threads on the barrel and I prefer the locking system of the QD setup so I run less of a risk of the suppressor backing off while running it. Thread on for a bolt gun or pistol. my .02

If you could come up with some more cash I say give it some thought about getting a QD .308 suppressor this way you don't get stuck just one caliber, with a QD .308 you just buy more mounts and can run the suppressor on caliber from .308 and down.

#6 ·
The TI's are nice, but if your on a budget get the SS version ;) I was sold on the YHM phantom (SS) when I figured out the QD system. It is worth it's weight in gold ;) I to don't want to mess up the threading on my guns so the Qd was a perfect choice. SGT's company "stryker Ent." gave me a great deal and the best part is the customer service afterwards, if you have any questions.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are taking the 1st dive for a suppressor - look at getting one in .30cal so you can use across multi platforms - also if you want to squeeze performance look at a thread on or 90+ tooth quick detach mount to repeat/minimum POI shift if thats falls in your "need to have" selection or you will always fire suppressed (if you want more research check out Silencer Talk or (edited out by MP(non sponsor)) do a good search for what you want to meet your price point...if you have a SOT dealer near you (and most decent shops will charge between 25 to 45 bucks to Form 3 to Form 3 your NAF purchase)....but if you want more fun than a barrel of monkeys - my 2 cents...get a .22 can as your first can - you will never be able to wipe the grin off your face

#11 ·
Wow. So much advice! Thanks everyone! Couple more questions. SgtStrykerUSMC43, how often do you have them in stock? I'm interested, but I just need a bit of time to think. Also, what are the major advantages of running a 30 cal can on a non-30 cal rifle? And does it carry platform to platform?

#15 ·
SgtStrykerUSMC43, how often do you have them in stock?
I order them on a regular basis and haven't been able to keep a Ti 7.62 Phantom for myself yet. I just sold another one and have 3 more on order due to lead time. I anticipate demand staying strong on the Ti 7.62 Phantom and I try to keep up with it as best I can. I currently have another (2) pending with BATFE and (4) still waiting to be mfr'd.

If you only have the SCAR 16, and don't see a 17 in your future, just stick with the 5.56 suppressor and you'll have a lifetime of shooting pleasure.

I'm interested, but I just need a bit of time to think.
Take your time. I'll be out of commission for the next month - http://fnforum.net/forums/stryker-enterprises/29618-notice-please-read.html

Also, what are the major advantages of running a 30 cal can on a non-30 cal rifle? And does it carry platform to platform?
Talhoffer already covered the points and I have nothing to add from an individual standpoint. As an 07/02 SOT, I need more than one for testing and demo purposes.

PM me whenever you're ready and I'll help you any way I can.

#12 · (Edited)
The major advantage of running a .30cal suppressor on non-.30cal rifles is that you only need to buy on suppressor, one tax stamp, and only have to go through and put up with the ungodly long wait time once. There really no performance benefit from running a .30cal suppressor on no-.30cal rifles.

One disadvantage with running a .30cal suppressor would be if you never plan on running it on anything other than a 5.56, a lot of the .30cal suppressors are a good bit heavier(most are almost double)than a dedicated 5.56 suppressor. Most of time this isn't the case, once you go suppressed you start to want to suppress everything and with a QD suppressor you just need to buy the correct mounts for the other rifles you want to suppress from .30cal down to the 5.56.

#13 ·
once you go suppressed you start to want to suppress everything .
You better listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about. :-D It becomes a sickness.:mrgreen:

#14 ·
It pretty much boils down to this... You will be happy with any of the big 3(Gemtech,AAC, or YHM phantom). I just prefered to get one "can" that would satisfy many rifles and loved the idea of a QD(quick detach) system that I don't have to wory about messing up my threads and can quickly change them over. ;)

#16 ·
Haha this is so amazing everyone. Thanks again. I don't see another SCAR in the future, so I think I'm gonna stick to a dedicated 5.56 suppressor. Still undecided. If I have anymore questions I know where to go! Thanks again everyone!

#17 ·
I am not a fan of using a 30cal. can on 5.56 rifles. Tried it once and did not like it. Many 5.56 silencers are sold ever year, if it made no difference customers would only buy the 30cal cans and manufactures would only make the 30cal cans. I have used a 45cal pistol silencer on 9mm and 40S&W pistols and it was great but my main use was for a 45.

#18 ·
I have a Gemtech OutBack (22lr) Gemtech Halo (223) and YHM QD Phantom 7.62 SS Let me ad my voice to those who say if you are going to be a one can guy start with the 7.62. While there is a slight difference in perceived report it is minimal enough that I would have saved the cost of the Halo and stamp. Also as noted you really can't go wrong with any of the Big 3 brands. As far as Budget goes it is hard to beat YHM

#21 ·
I'm leaning towards the AAC Ranger3. I want a QD more, but the budgets against it. I've heard great reviews on the Ranger, and just wanted to hear some more from others on this forum. Pros? Cons? Other ideas? I'd prefer to stick to 5.56 silencers. Thanks in advance!

#23 ·
What do you want the can to do? Do you want to keep the overall length of your host wpn short? Just wanna knock down some of the bark of 5.56? The Ranger would do fine - but it will not be hearing safe.... And to be honest (and I am sure other will chime in here) 5.56 to suppress just sucks - then there is gas blow back in the face(alot of this stems from baffle design) - and if this is gonna your 1st purchase...go somewhere/anywhere you can go to demo the cans you are looking at...and dont let the thread on thing bother you...it will only be a PITA if your barrel threads are not concentric i.e. quickest way to get a baffle strike...and 2nd if you plan on shooting between suppressed and un-suppressed another PITA to thread on then thread off your can and or move between host wpns.

I have had a YHM in 5.56 QD - built like a tank and will do fine on F/A fire - what I did not like (I sold mine for a AAC) YHM weight...it will make your wpn (my MK 18 nose heavy) - the QD mounts kinda ugly and at the time - I only had the bird cage but wanted a brake/compensator....PWS FSC556 Compensator was the only one to make a brake - I wanted this to decrease baffle erosion...if you run ANY can on a SBR 10.5 or under...baffle erosin will and should be a point of concern when you purchase your can....now if you are going to just plink...then dont worry about it...but do keep it in mind. I shot the YHM on my 7.5" Adams Arms upper...I would only do this w/my YHM...never thought about doing that w/my AAC - in that case the weight of the YHM can on the 7.5 made the wpn balance nice...

SO bottom line up front:

If you can - go shoot what you want to purchase if that is not an option - GOOGLE my friend and Youtube search as much as you can...dont let the sound on crappy iPhone vids sway your opinion - nothing beats hard numbers in db that has been tested look for testing in this manner:

METER, MICROPHONES, CALIBRATOR, SOFTWARE & WEATHER METER used:
-G.R.A.S. 1/4" pressure microphone, Type 40BD - Prepolarised, High-Level
-G.R.A.S. CCP Preamplifier, Type 26CB
-National Instruments NI USB-4432 - DAQ (Data Acquisition) 102.4 kS/s, 24 Bits, +/- 40 V, IEPE
-National Instruments LabVIEW Full with sound a vibration toolkit (running from a MAC BOOK PRO)
-G.R.A.S. Type 42AB Sound Calibrator
-Kestrel 4500NV Weather Meter

SOUND TESTING PROCEDURES:
-Both MICs are calibrated/validated before each test
-The "Muzzle" MIC is placed @ 1 meter from & 90 degrees to the left of the muzzle (as per "mil-spec" testing criteria)
-The "ear" MIC is placed @ the shooter's right ear
-The tip of the distal end of the silencer is "centered" on top of a reference tripod, IOT ensure proper distance is maintained from the muzzle MIC during testing
-All atmospheric conditions are measured automatically and recorded for each test (they have a HUGE impact on the results of the test and can't be ignored)

SOUND TESTING METHODOLOGY:
-Each "test" will comprise ten shots fired at an interval of approximately 3 seconds. The "results" of each test will be the AVERAGE of the ten shots, as recorded "at the muzzle" and "at the shooter's ear".
-For each silencer we'll conduct several "sound tests" over several months, IOT record how the can performs under various atmospheric conditions (temp. and humidity have can have a significant impact on how a suppressor "performs"). This will allow us to provide an accurate performance estimate for each silencer - we'll average all of the test results over time (there won't be any "one hit wonders") and each suppressor will have a "running average".

And in final - its your hard earned money....buy what you want that fits YOUR needs...

#22 ·
I am still not a fan of direct thread on suppressor, too many possible issues. Honestly for your budget I would look at the YHM SS Phantom QD suppressor $612 retail vs $550 retail for the Ranger3. If you PM SgtStyker I would be surprised if he couldn't do better on the price for the YHM.

Stainless Q.D. Phantom 5.56 - $612.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

Stainless Q.D. Phantom 5.56

View Larger

YHM is proud to offer our Stainless Phantom Sound Suppressor. This suppressor features all 300 series Stainless Steel and Inconel 718 construction for increased strength and performance. This suppressor offers the same sound reduction as our standard Phantom model but in an all-stainless construction. YHM's Q.D. Flash Hider eliminates 99% of flash while the Patented Sound Tech baffle design (U.S. Patent #7,073,426) reduced muzzle noise by up to 35 decibels. Specifications:

Caliber................................................................................... .223 / 5.56
Overall Length......................................................................6.875 Inches
Diameter..............................................................................1.500 Inches
Weight.................................................................................. 20 Ounces
Suppression Level........................................................................ -35 dB
Material............. 300 Series Stainless Steel and Heat Treated Inconel 718
Finish.................................................................................Matte Black
Method of Attachment................................................... Q.D. Flash Hider

Warranty:

YHM offers a lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship and will repair or replace, free of charge, any sound suppressor manufactured by YHM. The Phantom Flash Hider must be installed by a licensed gunsmith or the warranty will be considered null and void. Use of an aftermarket mounting system will result in the warranty being considered null and void. This warranty does not cover damage to the sound suppressor and/or host firearm resulting in whole or in part from criminal or negligent use, improper or careless handling, modifications, defective, improper hand-loaded, or reloaded ammunition, or neglect. This warranty does not cover damage to the sound suppressor or host firearm due to improper installation of the Flash Hider, the Sound Suppressor, or an improperly threaded barrel. The minimum barrel length for which the suppressor is warranted is 10.5 inches. Any repairs not covered by this warranty will be charged to the owner.

#26 ·
bayonet14, Thank you very much. That gives me a good place to restart. The look begins once again. It's a can that will be for plinking mostly, on a 16 inch barrel. The weight does concern me, and I've looked at the YHM Ti QD because its only 12 ounces. Again, thank you for such an incredible write up. :th_thanx:

#29 ·
As others have said, the YHM Phantom SS is a great can, it just weighs a ton. Mine is now on permanent gun safe duty since I started buying Surefires. Gemtech is another company to look into if you're looking for something decent that isn't Surefire or AAC prices. Their thread-on Trek model is only 550 dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.