Suppressor Install. How perfect do I have to be?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree17Thanks

Thread: Suppressor Install. How perfect do I have to be?

Suppressor Install. How perfect do I have to be?

As recommended by some members I ordered a Geissele suppressor alignment rod . I am attaching a Saker 7.62 break for my Scar 17.

My alignment is slightly off center, but it does NOT touch. Just out of curiosity, I used the alignment rod on my GAP 10. It is in the exact same spot as the Scar. I haven't had an issue with it, but there is definitely a POI shift with and without the suppressor.

Questions:

1. Is it the rod?
    2. Is it the suppressor?
    3. Is it the shims?

Any thoughts? Also, if I can improve the alignment somehow, will that positively effect the POI?
    squigly thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    You are going to get a POI shift no matter what. Where there could be a problem is if you are getting an excessive amount of POI shift. It shouldn't be any more than a couple of inches of that. I assume you are not getting baffle strikes because that would probably be the topic of the thread if you were. I didn't use an alignment rod so I can't tell you if its normal especially because I don't know how much off center you are talking about. Did you use that gemtech adapter you linked in the other thread? If you did I would be inclined to blame that before I would blame the Supressor. Also how many shims did you have to use before it was timed? It's as Jeremy said- the more variables you add when mounting a Supressor the more of a chance it will be misaligned.
    Hoax001 and Jeremy M. thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Thanks Kam. No, the Gemtech has not showed up yet, probably monday. I am a little reluctant to use it because of exactly what you mentioned. I am a big fan of having the fewest variables. I love the accuracy of the Scar and don't want to mess with it if I can help it.

When I used a single shim, it timed correctly, but it failed the alignment test with the rod. It needs a washer.. something solid before a shim. I could get it to work with nearly all the shims, but like Jeremy said.. the fewer the better. I emailed Jeremy to ask if they had any of those washers that were used in Patton's thread.

I've been using my suppressor on my GAP10 and Tavor just fine before I bought the alignment rod. Now its making me wonder if I can reduce the POI by getting a better alignment? Right now its only a few inches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Is the POI shift repeatable? Another thing is how clean were the threads and the "shoulder" before installation. I suspect they were clean but I have to ask. Also would you be willing to snap a picture of how the suppressor alignment rod looks with your can installed. Like Patton did in this thread.

Installing Specwar 7.62 brake on SCAR 17
    Last edited by KameronTKelly; 07-26-2015 at 01:33 AM.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

Thanks Kam. Yes, the POI is repeatable. I ran out of acetone, so I will pick some up and clean everything better as suggested. I'll post some picture after I get the Gemtech, that way we can compare.

Also, what is the best way to make sure I have 30 torque lbs? I am using the simple wrench that came with my suppressor. I don't want to over torque.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoax001 View Post
    Thanks Kam. Yes, the POI is repeatable. I ran out of acetone, so I will pick some up and clean everything better as suggested. I'll post some picture after I get the Gemtech, that way we can compare.

Also, what is the best way to make sure I have 30 torque lbs? I am using the simple wrench that came with my suppressor. I don't want to over torque.
    I would recommend using a Torque wrench also I sent you a PM.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

/
    /

512-931-4556

Quote Originally Posted by Hoax001 View Post
    I've been using my suppressor on my GAP10 and Tavor just fine before I bought the alignment rod. Now its making me wonder if I can reduce the POI by getting a better alignment? Right now its only a few inches.
    If you are building a perfectly level and square house it starts with the foundation. I carry that mentality over to installing muzzle break & flash hiders that a suppressor attaches to. I know i'm a anal perfectionist but it makes me sleep better. I honestly don't have a POI issue when I use my rifle suppressors. I shoot with Surefire suppressors. I get more POI shift from weather conditions. I know some of you might say I am full of it or crazy but when I use a suppressor I get much tighter groups.
    Hoax001 thanked this.
    "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."

DSC00409_zpsignmfv2q.jpg
    This is The Alignment rod in the break
    DSC00415_zpsg9jrhovj.jpg
    DSC00414_zpsztcgsfm0.jpg
    This is the alignment with many shims. The alignment got better with trail and error, but you cannot start with a thin shim, because it does not provide enough support. In order to use the thickest shim in the rear I had to use nearly all the shims. Thanks to Jeremy from Silencer Shop for all his help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KameronTKelly and Jeremy M. thanked this.

The Gemtech barley passes the bore alignment test. As you can see, it does not actually reach the barrel shoulder in the rear. I don't feel comfortable with this alignment. Plus, the extra weight, length, etc. make the Gemtech unsuitable for this application. There is really no need. The guys are right, just go with the shims and a dab of Rockset. Hope this saves some of you $88 for the Gemtech.
    DSC00412_zpsbt2ztglh.jpg
    DSC00413_zpsorox8p69.jpg
    KameronTKelly and Jeremy M. thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Excellent work Hoax. Glad to see it all worked out for you.
    Hoax001 thanked this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links