Nielsen device

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree5Thanks
  • 1 Post By Jeremy M.
  • 4 Post By Jeremy M.

Thread: Nielsen device

Nielsen device

I want to double check to make sure these are not required for the FNP series. I am reading they don't need one, but then I'm also reading that people have had trouble cycling the firearm reliably. This will be a form 1 suppressor, and it appears I will need the D size tube for .45 acp, but I would like the B if it actually works.

You need a booster on any non-fixed barreled gun, which the FNP/FNX is not.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Defiantly need a Nielsen device to reliably cycle the slide. If you don't mind re-racking the slide after every shot then it's not an issue. I only mention that because sometimes I prefer to not use a boaster and re-rack the slide after ever shot because in my opinion it's quieter. If you don't use a boaster it will cycle sometimes and not others. Probably has to do with psi generated from the whole detonation process. Especially when the silencer is wet and I'm shooting my own handmade loads with 20% or 30% less gun powder. And besides the handmade loads don't typically cycle anyways. Makes a .45 sound like suppressed .22LR.
    "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bove View Post
    Defiantly need a Nielsen device to reliably cycle the slide. If you don't mind re-racking the slide after every shot then it's not an issue. I only mention that because sometimes I prefer to not use a boaster and re-rack the slide after ever shot because in my opinion it's quieter. If you don't use a boaster it will cycle sometimes and not others. Probably has to do with psi generated from the whole detonation process. Especially when the silencer is wet and I'm shooting my own handmade loads with 20% or 30% less gun powder. And besides the handmade loads don't typically cycle anyways. Makes a .45 sound like suppressed .22LR.

Ahhh, okay. That's what I read else where but could only find one person who said that. So I will need booster, piston, and since it's a form 1 I'll need to connect that to my suppressor with another adapter...?

My 45 osprey has the booster (piston and spring) that slides onto the piece that screws onto the barrel. That adapter also screws into the suppressor, so it's kind of a dual purpose piece if you will.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wireless View Post
    Ahhh, okay. That's what I read else where but could only find one person who said that. So I will need booster, piston, and since it's a form 1 I'll need to connect that to my suppressor with another adapter...?
    You will need to be able to connect the silencer to the piston assembly. Most people use Liberty Suppressors booster assemblies when making their own silencer and thread the assembly into the silencer.
    djv38 thanked this.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /

512-931-4556

Is there any easy way to discern whether a silencer has a Nielsen device already incorporated? I found a .40 YHM silencer that does but haven't seen any others, unless I'm missing something.

If it does, will it interfere with fixed-barrel operation?

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Pistol silencers have a nielsen device/booster unless they are super small and light. Carbine and subgun silencers do not. Basically a quick check for 99% of the silencer on the market is to see if it has a silver extension that is about 1/2 of an inch out of the back of the silencer.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

/
    /

512-931-4556

Sponsored Links