FN Herstal Firearms banner

PS90 SBR Question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  trob09 
#1 ·
Greetings...
Wondering if members in Illinois have successfully SBR'd a PS90? Or, has anyone ever been turned down (in IL) applying for one?

I am an IL resident, and have a registered SBR (10" AR), and would love to go through the process again for a PS90 conversion. Not sure if there is a state-by-state length restriction on these...

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Go through the process. Your local CLEO would let you know if there is an issue.

PS90 SBR barrel is 10.3 inches. Minimum overall length of the weapon is 19.7 inches.

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thing is, I'd have to buy the PS90 before beginning the process (to have a legitimate serial # on the form 1) and I don't honestly want another PS90 unless I can SBR it. I had one a couple years ago and liked everything except the long barrel hanging out in front of it. Not that it's really that long, but in proportion to the rest of the rifle I felt it was. I sold it to Art from ShootingSight. I know I can get the signatures on the forms, or wait until later this summer when it's rumored that they'll no longer be needed...just don't want to go through the process unless I know there's a light at the other end of the tunnel.

#6 · (Edited)
The state of Il requires that an SBR be a minimum of 26". which is clearly based around AR pattern rifles rather than bull-pups. a bone-stock, non-sbr'd PS90 is 26.2" in OAL meaning the stock PS90 is just .2" longer than the "powers-that-be" in Il have determined acceptable for the minimum length for an SBR.

the common length I have seen for SBR'd PS90's is 18.9", you'd have to permanently attach a muzzle device of the same length as the barrel you remove, which would seem counter-productive. This is the very reason my PS90 remains un-sbr'd.

Of course, if you are an SOT, the minimum length rule no longer applies as the rules are for the the common man

disclaimer - I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. it's only what I have discovered after moving to IL in the last couple of years. I might be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.