Anybody get the custom foam insert yet? Hard case opinions?

FN Forum

Anybody get the custom foam insert yet? Hard case opinions?

For reference: http://www.opticsplanet.net/storm-case-custom-foam.html

Basically I'm after a hard sided case for the new rifle. I've seen a couple of examples, like Lutzy's turkey knife setup or the ultra expensive modular soft case insert. Definitely surprised more people haven't shown how they get the rifle from point a to point b in a protected way.

Anybody have any opinions one way or the other?

well

dunno if you got it yet, but i went with the pelican storm case and the foam insert, the cost was close to 300 and the case in itself is kinda heavy with my shooters bag

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (RED SHIRT)
    There is a thread on AR15.com in the build it yourself section about cutting case foam with a home made hot wire cutter. You'll have too look it up. It was the best way I have seen. replacement foam was very cheap. There were links to online foam retailers on the thread. Definitely worth checking out.

My opinion is that of the hard cases, Hardigg storm cases are the best. I just use a soft case to transport my rifle though. Its a Boyt tactical case. It was cheep. $30 or less.

Senior Member Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Avatar
    OK...I am lame and should post some photos. The hot wire method works and precision is based on you, your patience and hopefully a steady hand. I modified one off of ebay (Hot Foam Factory perhaps?) that did not have the power to melt soft serve ice cream. Now at about 50% I can cauterize a wound with this thing. Someone mentioned that foam is reasonable in price and they are right ... just check out ebay or amazon for an idea. I have gotten better having cut a few and for what it is worth I have carried Pelican Cases in the back country (extensive first aid and repair kits) with great success for a long time now as I own two river outfitting companies in Colorado with over twenty of these that are used on a daily basis by guides who treat them......poorly! I mean they have been dropped, thrown, fallen of the shuttle vehicle at highway speeds, used as a seat for lunch on the river and a genuine disregard for reasonable care and treatment. With this being said a template pinned with good stick pins to the foam goes a long way and I have bastardized the FS2000 template found on this site with great success for tri rail, vertical grip, optics, etc. I have also taped blank sheets of paper and with the help of my ten year old and a #2 pencil we traced a PS90 and cut it out together.

Suggestion....use a small fan and keep the smoke and fumes from cutting away from your face as they smell pungent and are clearly not a healthy thing to be breathing in. I simply blew on it my first go around with the FS2000 and damn near passed out by the end due to hyperventilation! If you are really packing things in you will want to use spray adhesive of something similar and glue the middle layer to the bottom layer only when you are sure you are done. Spray or glue only the second layer or you will have glue showing on the bottom layer through the holes you cut in the second. This will help the whole thing to stay together as one unit.

I will try and not be so lame as post some photos for you of my FS2000 and PS90 that were cut this way.

i did mine
    [/img]

My four and half year old son said: " Daddy, you can't see that gun 'cause it is fuzzy."

To take a better picture use the Flash, or in a place with lots of light.

Quote Originally Posted by bigantne1968
    i did mine
    [/img]
    AMP Engineering PS90 trigger installation video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Mag roller install video:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Man Kave PS90 Ext. Mag release install video:

January 2017 OBAMA will leave, with nothing left behind.

i no i will take a better one.the one on my phone sucks.i will do it on sat.

Quote Originally Posted by bigantne1968
    i no i will take a better one.the one on my phone sucks.i will do it on sat.
    Ya, camera phones aren't the best, but come in handy from time to time.

The attempt is there!
    AMP Engineering PS90 trigger installation video:

Man Kave PS90 Mag roller install video:

Man Kave PS90 Ext. Mag release install video:

January 2017 OBAMA will leave, with nothing left behind.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

Re: Question on foam

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird
    I have a Kalispel aluminum case. It has foam inserts, but I haven't made any cutouts in the foam. The case, which has four clamps on the side, will close without any undue force (although there's a fair amount of tension on the clamps...but nothing that might damage them), and it appears that the foam gives a bit, as the outline of the rifle is imprinted in it when I open the case. Is there a downside to storing it in the case without cutting out the foam? I figured that at various times I might use it for other rifles/shotguns, and didn't want to lock myself into only being able to use it for the SCAR... unless, of course, there's a good reason to discontinue this practice.
    Don't cut the foam in the Kalispel case. I've had their products for years and I transport my LR gun in one. It's designed to hold the gun in place, and over the past 15+ years, it has never caused the scope, gun, or iron sights to be damaged. I currently have 3, and the foam is the same in the 2 newer cases, as the old workhorse.

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Like us on Facebook for your chance to win cool stuff!

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Big Bird,

You're welcome.

- Kermit

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Like us on Facebook for your chance to win cool stuff!

Links