Was going to buy an Elcan until... - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree57Thanks

Thread: Was going to buy an Elcan until...

It's calibrated for m80 out of a 16" barrel. Doubt you'll notice a difference within 3-400 yards. Beyond that maybe, you'll have to do some trial and error. I honestly don't notice much difference when shooting 168gr ammo, but my groups are much tighter. The velocity lost with a shorter barrel will take some distance to make a difference.
    LESTER, akitainu and natethegr8 thanked this.

Arm chair commando - why you zero the optic on 4x
    Supported CRANE & JFWTSB...besides defect or broken we just swap'em out - you can do that when you have a juicy IDIQ contract

As for my personal - rock mine on a SBR 16 and M4... it performs better than I can shoot (now feed some Mk262...mmmm or my handloads in 75gr/77gr...I'll challenge anyone w/a full size carbine (same ELCAN) against my SBR16 and I'll smoke ya

Quote Originally Posted by bayonet14 View Post
    I'll challenge anyone w/a full size carbine (same ELCAN) against my SBR16 and I'll smoke ya
    I'll be your huckleberry Let me know if you're back in Benning for anything!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drew11b View Post
    I'll be your huckleberry Let me know if you're back in Benning for anything!
    Heck yea! And if the Cannon is still around...it will be for beers

Oh - hey....caveat... you would not happen to be one of those AMU bubbas or Prez 100?

Quote Originally Posted by bayonet14 View Post
    Heck yea! And if the Cannon is still around...it will be for beers

Oh - hey....caveat... you would not happen to be one of those AMU bubbas or Prez 100?
    Nah, I'm just a lowly Drill Sergeant. Although, I did earn my Bronze EIC Badge last month so that makes me sort of a big deal right?

The Cannon is still going strong and full of IBOLC youngsters.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    The poster of this video could not be more wrong about his assessment of the "cross hairs" moving. The Reticle on the Elcan is fixed and has two Objective lenses that move solely for the purpose of magnification or not.

furthermore even if the Magnified lens arm was not in the "returned to zeroposition" it does not matter all you need to see is the Crosshair within either window and you shots will be on provided the optic and rifle were zeroed properly.
    Last edited by Jarod Legsdin; 12-20-2016 at 11:23 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

This is the only forum that I have seen where people are in love with this optic. I would love to have one but have never used one.
    I used to visit a forum that has a lot of current and former combat vets posting. Hardly anyone had positive things to say about it.
    As far as putting my trust in CRANE, did they approve the EOTECH ? In the early 1990s I had a Elcan scope, the weak points of that external
    base has been well documented. I don't think the perfect gun or optic exists. Everyone rates qualities differently.
    Proarc thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon03 View Post
    This is the only forum that I have seen where people are in love with this optic. I would love to have one but have never used one.
    I used to visit a forum that has a lot of current and former combat vets posting. Hardly anyone had positive things to say about it.
    As far as putting my trust in CRANE, did they approve the EOTECH ? In the early 1990s I had a Elcan scope, the weak points of that external
    base has been well documented. I don't think the perfect gun or optic exists. Everyone rates qualities differently.
    What are most of those guys using? I keep debating on getting a elcan or a vortex razor 1-6, maybe a kahles but thats the only one I've never had the chance to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon03 View Post
    This is the only forum that I have seen where people are in love with this optic.
    This is 100% correct.

I initially wanted one after all the glowing reviews on here I started doing my research and after hours and hours of reading and talking to every gun enthusiast/vet I know, the consensus was this would not be most peoples first, second or even third choice for a 4 or 6x optic. A bunch of them even currently own one so you cant use the "They just cant afford them" quote people like to throw around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    This is 100% correct.

I initially wanted one after all the glowing reviews on here I started doing my research and after hours and hours of reading and talking to every gun enthusiast/vet I know, the consensus was this would not be most peoples first, second or even third choice for a 4 or 6x optic. A bunch of them even currently own one so you cant use the "They just cant afford them" quote people like to throw around.
    In my research and conversation with the alike, it always the fact that they happen to use the optic in a wrong manner than intended. They either use it in situations like a red dot, why? I have no idea. Yes the 1x/1.5x is the same magnification or close to the ones on RDSs but the eye box and eye relief on the Elcan make it possible but difficult to achieve in the same speed as you would with a RDS. A RDS on the other has practically no eye box/eye relief limitations as long as you are able to see the red dot you are able to utilize it and engage. Honestly the Elcan is a overwatch optic that can be utilize in CQC situations (real or simulated) with enough trigger time of course. But it is difficult with the limitations such as eye box/relief. Elcan is like a ACOG with a second magnification; more than it is a RDS with a magnification. Also the reason I refer it to an overwatch optic is because it mimics a gun turret, guys with mechanized backgrounds know what I'm talking about. The low mag would be used for scanning or close engagement and the high mag would be for PTID and engaging, trailing tracer POI/ splash and correcting. Nothing is going to receive good reviews if it's used in a way it's not intended. "Every time I take out my Abrams out to mow the law I end having to get a new garage.... and lawn. The Abrams suck as a lawn mower don't recommend, will give M(ummy)RAP a try."
    Last edited by natethegr8; 12-21-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    Kakashi66218 and TheCameraMan79 thanked this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links