Was going to buy an Elcan until... - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Was going to buy an Elcan until...

Quote Originally Posted by natethegr8 View Post
    In my research and conversation with the alike, it always the fact that they happen to use the optic in a wrong manner than intended. They either use it in situations like a red dot, why? I have no idea. Yes the 1x/1.5x is the same magnification or close to the ones on RDSs but the eye box and eye relief on the Elcan make it possible but difficult to achieve in the same speed as you would with a RDS. A RDS on the other has practically no eye box/eye relief limitations as long as you are able to see the red dot you are able to utilize it and engage. Honestly the Elcan is a overwatch optic that can be utilize in CQC situations (real or simulated) with enough trigger time of course. But it is difficult with the limitations such as eye box/relief. Elcan is like a ACOG with a second magnification; more than it is a RDS with a magnification. Also the reason I refer it to an overwatch optic is because it mimics a gun turret, guys with mechanized backgrounds know what I'm talking about. The low mag would be used for scanning or close engagement and the high mag would be for PTID and engaging, trailing tracer POI/ splash and correcting. Nothing is going to receive good reviews if it's used in a way it's not intended. "Every time I take out my Abrams out to mow the law I end having to get a new garage.... and lawn. The Abrams suck as a lawn mower don't recommend, will give M(ummy)RAP a try."
    So you think the users on every other forum that are not crazy about the elcan are just "using them in the wrong manner" include all the Mil/LEO and everyone on FNF just knows their application and gets it right?

Again, Im not saying its good or bad. Im sure its an absolutely amazing piece of kit. Its just very odd that Josh and I found that same exact thing across the internet. I was literally hours away from ordering one from Ken when I decided to wander away from FNF and found tons of Mil/LEO guys saying things like "Owned one, sold it for a (insert other variable optic here)"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    So you think the users on every other forum that are not crazy about the elcan are just "using them in the wrong manner" include all the Mil/LEO and everyone on FNF just knows their application and gets it right?
    No. For me to give an absolute answer like that is impossible given the countless variables and variations. The reason I said always is because the large majority of people actually don't use the Elcan in a way that it was intended which makes it a common case more than it's the exception. The exception is the small amount of people who actually do use it the way it was intended and it doesn't suit them. As far for the FNF from what I can tell most either understand what the Elcan is intended for either in motion or stationary, or are in their "overwatch" position; which looks a lot like a shooting bench most of the time. In that situation the limitations aren't being exploited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Again, Im not saying its good or bad. Im sure its an absolutely amazing piece of kit. Its just very odd that Josh and I found that same exact thing across the internet. I was literally hours away from ordering one from Ken when I decided to wander away from FNF and found tons of Mil/LEO guys saying things like "Owned one, sold it for a (insert other variable optic here)"
    Again, taking the word of the various people real operator or keyboard is still going to need a grain of salt added IMO. The fact that me, you and Josh most likely seen the same things about the Elcan doesn't mean anything more other than a statement and a commonality. Mil/LEOs opinions on the Elcan don't mean anything to me because it's most likely subjective that's goes for the ones we get from the MIL/LEOs that we know as well. They most likely didn't like it; again, because it was used in a certain way and they didn't like the results. If it was used the way it was intended it's understandable with the limitations to the Elcan being a big enough factor. Like the analogy I used the Elcan is like a ACOG with a second magnification. In my experience the ACOG has the same limitations as the Elcan such as eye box/relief/FOV and almost no one ever tries to use it like a RDS since the fixed 4x mag is excessive for CQ applications if they did I'm sure many won't like it and sell it for another optic. Which is why there's a piggyback RMR for CQ. So the common misconception is that people make is that the Elcan can be used as a RDS with the 1x or 1.5x which is going to be difficult thus the negative feedback it gets. While the ACOG rarely gets anything negative because it's used the way it's intended because there's no misconception to its utilization. Which is why there's the occasion where people go buying other magnified optic after the Elcan that usually have bigger eye box/relief. It's not because the other is a better optic, but rather better suited for their intended application based on the optics intended purpose. This is just my heavily researched 2¢s though.
    Squatch, Kakashi66218 and Mike S thanked this.

Jesus, this thread got gnarly......
    Squatch thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fmxmyway View Post
    Jesus, this thread got gnarly......
    It does seem it's either love or hate for the Elcan, lol. Optics are very subjective, but it's amazing how many people always chime in who don't actually own and use it on a regular basis. No they aren't Aimpoints at low power, which is why most Leo don't use them , but they shine at high power with a better field of view and clearer glass than anything in the competition. Trijicon acogs work great until dusk or dark, try shooting a pig or coyote at 400 yards with one with no light. With a subzero flash light, I don't even need NVG with my Elcan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it, I do like my 1x4 a lot. You can always sell it if you don't like it though.

If your going to get a elcan id at least hold off until the improved version comes out next year20161224_100426.png

What improvements will the new Elcan have?

Low profile illumination switch and uses a 2032 battery
    Squatch thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshck View Post
    Low profile illumination switch and uses a 2032 battery
    Will it have a 1.5-6x version calibered for the 7.62 NATO?

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    What improvements will the new Elcan have?
    The new model fixes all the complaints that any one has ever had about any thing to do with the old model.
    The greatest thing is that you can order it from ELCAN directly for free! No cost to the user!
    But I am holding out for the third generation because I heard ELCAN is going to pay "buyers" $2,000 for each unit ordered. What could be better?
    Until Gen 3 comes out, I will be loving my Gen 1 as crummy as it is.
    Merry Christmas to all ELCAN users, have a Merry Christmas and hold your heads up: Better days are coming...
    Last edited by Type5; 12-24-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    FS2KSTD, Yog, Squatch and 1 others thanked this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links