Was going to buy an Elcan until...

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree50Thanks

Thread: Was going to buy an Elcan until...

Was going to buy an Elcan until...

I was planning to buy an Elcan 1.5/6x scope for my 17. I was very certain that it was the optic I was going to get until the video above. After watching the video it raised concerns. So now I was wondering what is the general take on the Elcan and what other users have to say? I know some guys here have them and I know some of them use and abuse their pretty good. So this leaves me with questions like; is this an old issue or a defective model? Can this be fixed? I saw another video that demonstrated an impact shift when force was applied to the spring mechanism mentioned in the video if I remembered correctly. I know these optics see action with our nations best in adverse conditions, with that being said is there any reports of impact shifts when debris has worked it's way into that portion of the mechanism? Any feedback with links or report would be great.
    fehhkk thanked this.

Yeeeeeaaaa.......Ill take NSWC Cranes word over his. They beat the hell out of those optics...he just speculates about and finger bangs them on his kitchen table.
    "Why should I or the NRA go sit down with a group of people who have spent a lifetime trying to destroy the Second Amendment?"- Wayne LaPierre

"Just enjoy the time you have left before that dreaded knock comes. Get jiggy with a chick, say "later" to all your buds, give mom a hug. Don't go near dad. He'll slap you like a fool."

Nate- I wouldn't worry about the assumptions made in the video unless it really bothers you. If you got the money, these are good optics.

In 2001 I had a military range, was shooting expert from 200-300 moved to 500yards and forgot to change the windage and raise elevation shot marksman. It was my fault for not adjusting it. Point is everything has to be adjusted, irons to smittys. And it's not the optics fault if you fail.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.
    Joshua 24:15

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Murphy's Law...

But it's not like I was going to toss that kind of money at an optic anyways.

that scope if i'm not mistaken changes the reticle when you change magnification. it only stands to say that if it doesnt move all the way as intended then of course it will be off. its the same with ANY moving part though. anything can impede it. i own the 1-4x model and absolutely love it. for the ones saying no way, they probably can't afford to drop that kind of money on a scope to begin with. its a very good and well constructed scope and you get what you pay for.
    Kakashi66218 and TheCameraMan79 thanked this.

I love mine! Have not had it out nearly enough. It is a nice optic for sure.

Love mine, had it for years. Did not know it is so bad until this video guy told me.
    Guess the guys that used it in combat and for hunting and fun did not know either.
    Screw it! Into the trash with mine. Gonna get a 5 Moa Tasco Red Dot - they are under rated. Elcan is over rated.
    Seriously, thanks for the vid post but anyone could jack up anything if they tried - just as professional complainers can, and will, complain about anything.
    I will happily take my chances on the range and on the hunt with mine.
    I will go with the advice mentioned above: If the video worries you, you should spend your money on something else that YOU are confident with - after all, it is your money.
    There are lots of darn good optics out there, some cost more, most cost less.
    Hope you get something - possibly for Christmas!

I know you're looking for links with information but It's a high quality optic used by Rangers and SF around the world in hostile environments to where they bet their lives on them. If there was an issue I believe we would have heard about it. I own two of the 1-4x Elcans and the only zero issue I've heard of is when people zero on 1x for whatever reason and then have a point of impact shift on 4x (duh). This guy seems like a keyboard warrior with a tin foil hat.

No issues with mine, if I happen to fall down in the mud or get a stick stuck in the fatally flawed switch lever, I guess I'll die.
    LESTER thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Type5 View Post
    Love mine, had it for years. Did not know it is so bad until this video guy told me.
    Guess the guys that used it in combat and for hunting and fun did not know either.
    Screw it! Into the trash with mine. Gonna get a 5 Moa Tasco Red Dot - they are under rated. Elcan is over rated.
    Seriously, thanks for the vid post but anyone could jack up anything if they tried - just as professional complainers can, and will, complain about anything.
    I will happily take my chances on the range and on the hunt with mine.
    I will go with the advice mentioned above: If the video worries you, you should spend your money on something else that YOU are confident with - after all, it is your money.
    There are lots of darn good optics out there, some cost more, most cost less.
    Hope you get something - possibly for Christmas!
    Video doesn't worry me it only brought to my attention something I didn't know existed. In all my research this type of thing hasn't surfaced that's all so with no way to find the truth on my own I offer the question to be answered by other that might know. I know the optics track record is second to none. Now with that out of he way; does anyone know what the BDC is calibrated to? I believe it's the M80 round but can't find the source where I got it. Also what barrel do you guys run I'm planning to go the 13" pin and weld for OAL of 16" route but heard the Elcan is set to a =<16" barrel don't remember twist rate. Anyone who has experienced with that setup can you tell me how much of a hold over you found with a 13" barrel versus the 16" and if there anything else you do differently with that setup that you don't with the 16".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links