FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree4Thanks
  • 2 Post By DOE
  • 2 Post By artranscience

Thread: Lancer Systems L5 mags version black mod 2

DOE

Lancer Systems L5 mags version black mod 2

I have several L5 mags that will not seat in my SCAR with 30rds loaded. Only one will seat with 29rds. That's with the bolt forward. Bolt locked back, they all seat fine.

All of my L5s are version black mod 1. The black followers replaced the green followers to allow them to work in Bushmasters. Catching and holding the bolt back. Other than that they will work fine in every other AR I have.

I loaded 28 rds and tried to seat them in the SCAR, no luck. I called Scott Vilardi (Small Arms Business Manager) and we discussed at length the issues I had with the SCAR. Scott sent me the black version mod 1s to cure the problems I was having with my BM patrol carbine. Scott said that some of the earlier black mod 1s got out and will not work in the SCAR. He sent me new mod 2 followers. In comparing the followers, mod 2 has a shorter spring leg. Mod 2 are mfg date stamped '09. The only one that I had that seated with 29 rds was also stamped '09 but a few months earlier. I replaced all the mod 1s with mod 2s and they will all seat fine with 30rds on a closed bolt. I also cut 1/16" off a mod 1 spring leg and was able to get it to seat with 30rds on closed bolt too.

That was fine and dandy until I racked the bolt back. Seems that the L5 rear mag body has extra material that will not let the bolt catch function.

Directions to modify an L5 to work in a SCAR

Problem: The opening in the rear of the magazine is too narrow impedeing the bolt catch.

Fix: Remove a small amount of material from one side of the opening

Directions:
    1. Empty the magazine
    2. Remove the bottom and dissassemble
    3. Remove the material from the left side of the opening, see the photo below (remove the area highlighted in yellow). You"ll need something like a dremel tool or coping saw.
    4. Reassemble, check.

Works fine now.

Also, as a side note......the SCAR has an ambi mag release. On the left side, it pivots off of the flat latch. With Pmags, & Lancers, the depth of the mag catch cutout has an affect on that release.

Meaning that there is some "looseness" (flop) with the left mag release lever. Compare the fit with a HK mag or GI mag (D&H) and there is no looseness or flop. The depth of the HK mag mag catch is very small, but deep enough that there is no flop to the mag release lever.

Pmags seem to work with the bolt catch, but could be modified in the same way to insure functionality like the L5s.

I believe the Beta C mags can be also modified like the L5s to get them to work. (Just haven't got around to it yet)

I'll have to chat with Scott regarding this issue as he was surprised to hear that the military SCAR lower is different from the "commercial" SCAR lower.

ETA: Scott also said that the mod 2 followers also have a slightly shorter front section by 1mm, since all the new L5s now have a beefed up rubber baseplate from the inside. The SCAR L5 mags will have the modification that I posted and will no longer have the raised magwell ridge. Seems that it caused problems with the EGLM launcher. Hopefully, my SCAR demo mag will arrive soon for pics and shooting. Scott just sent quite a few of the SCAR L5 mags to Crane for testing.
    artranscience and Fröman thanked this.

Thanks for the instructions on getting them to work

Polymer mags seem like a hassle to me with the SCAR's. When I get one, I think I'll be sticking with metal mags.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

This is welcome advice as the Lancer mags are great. The 48 rounders work very well in an AR so the mod may be needed with them too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

DOE
    Lancer has a new mag out at SHOT that's SCAR friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by DOE View Post
    Lancer has a new mag out at SHOT that's SCAR friendly.
    I just received one last week and have more backordered. They work fine. Great alternative to Magpul....until their new model is available.
    Last edited by et2041; 03-10-2012 at 04:21 PM.

I have 5 Lancer L5 AWMs (Advanced Warfighter Magazines). They work right out of the box with the SCAR. No issues. They are solid mags for this platform. The regular L5 (non-AWM) had to be cut as this post describes, but the AWMs seat with 30 rounds, bolt forward no problem.
    oilcan72 and Fröman thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by artranscience View Post
    I have 5 Lancer L5 AWMs (Advanced Warfighter Magazines). They work right out of the box with the SCAR. No issues. They are solid mags for this platform. The regular L5 (non-AWM) had to be cut as this post describes, but the AWMs seat with 30 rounds, bolt forward no problem.
    That is what I have found. I have some L5 AWMs and they all work great. Between the Gen3 pmags and AWM's we have plenty of plastic mags to work with SCAR right out of the box now. And out here in Komifornia I find them easier to get, modify and run compared to USGI mags.

My lancers work great! But they tend to hang up unless I smack them into the mag well with a good pat on the bottom'. My pmags tend to catch better but when the bolt is open and locked back, both mags feel about the same.
    "Damn that thing's loud"

-Every damn person at the gun range

Thanks for sharing this, very helpful!

Nice post!!!
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 Obama leaves.

Sponsored Links