Variable 1-4,1-6, or 1-8 vs Red Dot

FN Forum

Google Search

Variable 1-4,1-6, or 1-8 vs Red Dot

Hello all,
    I am used to shooting with red dots on an AR I previously had but I am wanting to extend my shooting out a little further with my SCAR 17, but also know i will likely miss the ease of a red dot (dont really want to add an offset red dot either). How well do these 1-4, 1-6, etc. scopes replicate a red dot at close range?

To be honest lower variable power scopes like that may do the job of a red dot under certain variations or combinations of variations to some success. The main drawback IMO is that you must maintain proper eye relief/eye box to utilize the scope. Oppose to a red dot has none of the limitations; if you see the dot, then you can use the RDS. Also there maybe some learning curves or muscle memory issues transitioning from a RDS to LVP scope that you may face when transitioning from position to position or acquisition to acquisition.
    Last edited by natethegr8; 01-02-2017 at 03:15 PM.

I will parrot what a bunch of other people have just said on here within the last month.

A lot of people get these variable optics thinking they will act just like a red dot and then end up hating them. Nothing is going to replace a red dot if that is what you need for that specific application. If you need magnified 90% of the time and RDS 10% of the time, you will probably like variable. If you are looking for RDS 90% of the time you will probably end up not liking how the variable works as an RDS.

This is coming from someone with a T2 on their 17.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

In my opinion they do not replicate a red dot at close range very well. What Nate said about the eye relief/eye box is the biggest issue with the 1x setting.

If you're specifically referring to Elcans (which is all I have experience on) you need to go into it with the idea that the zoomed setting is your primary function and they are great 4x or 6x optics with amazing glass with the secondary ability to function as a slower red dot. I believe you'll be disappointed if you're looking for an amazing red dot with the secondary ability to go zoomed in when needed.

Edit: I basically wrote the same thing as the guy above me he just beat me to the post!

I should have mentioned that i will be hog hunting with it 1-2 times per year and the rest shooting from a bench with some rapid fire stuff for fun

I use a Vortex Razor HD II 1-6 and it is amazingly fast and the red dot is day light bright. I can shoot it as fast as a red dot and lay down and hit 8" steel at 400 yards all day long with it. Love it! The only negative is it weighs 24 oz. not including the mount!

T

IF your making a move to glass from just red dots w/wo magnification and I dont care what glass you pick - know there is a huge difference between 1st focal plane and 2nd focal plane POA/POI

If you comprehend how you zeroed your red dot / understand holds for close range engagement(s) -vs- hold for long range transition to glass is straight forward.

If you dont understand FFP/SFP - may I suggest you hone your google-fu / read a lot / and check this out:

Last edited by bayonet14; 01-03-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Good to go on SFP vs FFP. I am used to SFP from old school deer rifles my grandfather would let us use. I actually prefer the SFP scopes even though it seems like everyone is going to FFP on these 1x variable scopes. Im thinking for my first optic on the SCAR I am going to go with a sub 500 dollar 1-6 or 1-8 and save for the swarovski 1-8x24.

Sponsored Links