Magpul MOE grip on SCAR 17

FN Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By DOE

Thread: Magpul MOE grip on SCAR 17

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (RED SHIRT) AngerManagement's Avatar

Magpul MOE grip on SCAR 17

On a whim I picked up a Magpul MOE grip while getting some groceries, brought it home and installed it. I really like how this grip feels in the hand and I like that it doesnt have that stupid ridge that screws up where my fingers go. I'll definately put one of my M4. Looks pretty cool:

It looks like FN made this part pretty easy to swap with existing AR stuff. However, one tiny little complaint: there is a gap along the edge of the grip. I'm temped to see if I can make an insert that would fill it in. However, I don't think it hurts anything and the grip seems secure.

Any ideas? Worst case I just move this over to my AR and go back to the stock grip.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

use a dremel to remove some of the portion of the inside of the grip where it meets the rifle. it is easy to do and then it will sit all the way down without a gap. I did this with my 16S and the Magpul MIAD
    Regards,
    Steve B.

I like the way everything looks. The Magpul MOE grip looks very comfortable. A vertical foregrip is on my short list.

What sling are you using and what kind of attachments?
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The 10th Amendment.

NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of Calif. Member, U.S. Navy Veteran

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Looks like a Magpul ms2
    Regards,
    Steve B.

I have both a MagPul MS2 and a Elite Tactical Patrol sling. The patrol sling is a better deal. The MS2 is nice and faily comfortable, however the front hook is too big for the built in loops on the SCAR so you still have to use a sling mount on your rail.

I like the MS2's ability to quickly swap over to single point, and it has very nice hardware. However for less than half the price the patrol sling can do most of the same stuff but uses platic buckles.

The Magpul grip is great. I just swapped my M4 over to it too. I took the SCAR apart again today to see what to grind on the grip and just dont see anything to take off. I'm going to see if I can fabricate an insert that rides on the grip and fills in the dead space. I think I can either use wax or clay to fill in the space, create a plaster mold and then fill it with epoxy. finish fitting it, paint and then throw it away b/c it looks like ****.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    "I took the SCAR apart again today to see what to grind on the grip and just dont see anything to take off"

You remove an 1/8" or so off of the base INSIDE the grip's slot where the mounting screw hole is. A metric ton easier than the cobble effect you just described.
    Εἷς οἰωνὸς ἄριστος, ἀμύνεσθαι περὶ πάτρης

Is our "personal preference" a crutch for ignorance?

I'll look again tonight. I honstely didnt see that much material that could be removed without losing some of the structural integrity. But I've been wrong before.

And yeah - Redneck engingeering (RNE) something isn't on the top of my list for this rifle. It's too freaking nice. Worst case - I'll wait until Magpul catches up and puts out a grip specific to the SCAR, live with it or swap back to the original.

Had a few extra minutes this morning so I took a really close look at what is going on. Basically the dimensions of the SCAR's flange that holds the grip are slightly different than the M16. Very close, but not the same.

It appears that I need to remove some material from inside the magpul grip at the front where is slops up. I'll probably give it a try this afternoon. I'll take pictures and post up so the next impatient dork that decides to buy something made for one rifle to use on a different make will at least have some idea of what he is getting in to.

Seems like a great opportunity to need a new grip. Glad a saved the stock one.

DOE
    Check the Modification section. I put a tutorial on modifying the out of spec grip tang to get the MIAD/MOE or any other AR type grip to fit.
    jrp5150 thanked this.

Links