HOW TO: FAL mags to SCAR17S - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: HOW TO: FAL mags to SCAR17S

Hi Jeff,
    I bent the back end (where they grab the bullets so to speak) of the feedlips slightly upwards, about 1/16" to 1/8". You can use any tool you want, I used a locking plier, snugged it down to fit the lip and clamped it down. Take a look at the original Scar mag to get an idea. You can see that the feedlips are slightly higher when you look at it straight from the side. Please do one mag at a time man! Good luck to ya!
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum". If you want peace, prepare for war.

A short update...

The three mags I did first work great, I have shot 500 rounds between the three of them and not a single malfunction.
    I decided to convert seven more. I did the hole on the side filing it down by hand and I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!

I still have to adjust the feedlips on these and then put them through then wringer but now I know they work well enough to be worth the effort.

Would I bet my life on them? Er, maybe not, but for that I use my factory mag.

These are great practice mags, good spares to have around. I'll definitely keep them around after I get a good supply of factory mags.

You rock! I went to the fun store today and bought a FAL mag. I cant believe the resemblance. They are an exact match. I just dont understand why the manufactures of FAL mags dont just punch the extra hole in them and make a killing selling mags. It took 2 minutes to cut the hole, crimp the tab and grind the lips.

Thanks Man Great Idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Of course I am compensating for something.... If I could kill something at 300 meters with my c*ck I would not need a gun!

Originally Posted by Clyde
    and then they get to enjoy trying to ride the concussion wave....
    and start peppering them mercilessly with flying hot brass

....well this Country is aboard a Dreamliner, and the Pilot is screaming "Allah-Akbar"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Happy you like it!

I was surprised how easy it is to make, just remember to test every mag because results WILL vary. I had to tweak a few more mags to get them just right.
    I now have 3 factory Scar mags and have done 10 conversions, I'm happy for now.

P.S. Karma points welcome if you find this info useful

I'm pretty handy working metal and I like this idea better than sanding on Pmags so I'll be giving this a try.

How do the followers compare? Any issues there? I don't have my SCAR yet so I don't have an original mag to look at.

Thanks
    Cliff
    FPD Ret., USN Ret., NRA Lifer

No problems with the followers, the FAL one isn't shaped with as much detail as the SCAR ones, if I remember correctly the SCAR ones look like the shape of a 7.62 round from the top, the older one just has a protrusion (SP?) on it.

Great thanks! I'll post my results here when done. Looks like I'll be using Israeli mags from J&G Sales.
    Cliff
    FPD Ret., USN Ret., NRA Lifer

I moded 2 fal mags and a PMAG and so far:
    All three feed fine (by hand cycling).
    The FAL mags drop out ok, PMAG not so good.
    PMAG's lips expand outward when loaded, having a tighter fit in the well when loading.
    FAL mags were easier for me to mod than the PMAG.

My final verdict will be at the range.
    I'll post it up.

DISCLAIMER:

Any governmental agency monitoring this thread should know, that I no longer own any firearms of any type. Any serial number of an autoloading rifle and or pistol linked to me is either in error of your filing system or has been sold in an untraceable, yet legal way.

pmag vs.. FAL... five and ten round FAL mags!?

i have modified several pmags so far to fit my scar 17; using both the heat-gun technique and the sanding-it-down technique.

i am modifying five and ten round pmag chop-jobs from midwest-PX.
    (i live in CA and pig hunt with my scar, i need ten-rnd for legality, and 5 rnd for hunting).. so when the plastic is chopped, and, sanded... well, its gone through allot of distress, so the following may be different for un-chopped 20 rnd pmags...:

i have found that the sanding down technique takes away too much material from the pmag, resulting in the magazine body bowing a bit when fully loaded. obviously taking away enough material to make it fit the scar magwell compromises strength and longevity, but more importantly, if you leave this mag loaded for several months, the bow tends to stay more-and-more permanent with time which compromises function.

i did several pmags by sanding them down, all with the same result: if i left them loaded for some span of time, the bow of the walls changes the feeding behavior of the rounds just enough to create failure to feed with enough use and heat. the failures usually happen after about four rounds.. as though the spring is not exerting enough force to push the bullet into the bolt through the bowed-misshapen feed opening. ( the spring may also simply not be cut at a point to make it strong enough because of the chop-job, but without the sanding modification, these chop-job mags work fine.. (note that i am in uncharted territory here any way, the follower could be binding or something... so who knows!))

compressing the pmag plastic using a heat gun and vice to make it fit, is better, because it keeps the pmag pretty much at its design strength and rigidity. (no bowing when fully loaded) these mags have had fewer issues over time so far.. five and ten round. but... man is that process more "tweaky" and time consuming (for me anyway).

This FAL mag mod seems hands down the way to go because of the strength (and hopefully the reliability) of the metal material after the mod.

Here's the big question:

Do any of you guys have access to a small CNC router ? given the above description of how the FAL mag is modified to fit the scar, if one could program a CNC machine to help make the perfect mods every time, this would seem like a bit of a money maker 20 minutes down to five?....

especially because i have seen no commercial attempts to make clean, low-profile five rounders for the scar. even with the DSA 10 rounders that have been promised.. DSA has not promised any five rounders. nor has any one else that i know of... and using a scar to hunt pig legally?.. whats wrong with that?

Many states besides CA have a 5 round limit on simi-auto rifles for hunting. and i can tell you, using five round pmags.., the scar 17 is great for medium to long range pig hunting.

so a good robust five rounder made efficiently from a FAL five round mag would be awesome, and the reliability and robustness of one made from a 5 round FAL would undoubtedly fill a niche. My only concern with the five round FAL mag is its protrusion.. or lack thereof.. below the bottom of the SCAR magwell.

any body who has done a five round FAL to SCAR mod.. how is that fit?..

in the mean time,
    cheers for a great thread.

I don't see me modding any fal mags.

I was trying to load up some magazines last night, got around to trying to load the fal magazines I bought for my RFB.

They're junk. I've tried 3 so far of the 5 I bought and can't get more than 3 cartridges in them and then a cartridge will pop out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links