FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree209Thanks

Thread: Optics for your SCAR 16 or 17

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Optics for your SCAR 16 or 17

This is a work in progress and will take a few days to get going. I am going to cut and paste peoples reviews on here.

I want this to be a great reference tool for Noobs and the rest of us, so we don't have a couple dozen half ass threads and a noob every other day coming in and asking " What is the best scope for my Scar"

Feel free to post up your choices, but please give us your Pro's and Con's, what you use it mostly for

Format example:

Scope / Mount: Make and Model

Specs: Get them from MFG website

Uses: Home defense, short yardage target shooting out to 100yds.

Pro's: What is great
    Con's: What sucks

Overall opinion:

Pictures: (scope and possibly targets)
    RTG013, Native TEXAN, Defiant and 1 others thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Before buying a scope, you need to qualify what your going to be doing with it. I wouldn't buy an eotech or aimpoint for long distance target or hunting.

EXAMPLE:

Scope/Mount:
    Eotech XPS 2-2 Dual Dot site

Specs:
    http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/sights/xps2
    ■Single transverse 123 battery to reduce sight length
    ■Shortened base only requires at most 2 3/4 inch of rail space
    ■Battery cap and latch are eliminated and replaced with a simple O-ring, tethered cap; better sealing is achieved
    ■Average battery life at brightness level 12 is roughly 600 hours
    ■The XPS2 is not Night Vision compatible, for Night Vision compatibility see the XPS3 sights.

Uses: Home defense, short yardage target shooting out to 100yds.

Pro's:
    1.) Compact size
    2.) holds zero
    3.) Looks bad ass on my Scar
    4.) Multiple dots for different yardages
    5.) adjustable brightness
    6.) $338 after $50 rebate

Con's:
    1.) reticle too large for anything past 100yds
    2.) battery cover skinned my knuckle
    3.) Magnifier is damn expensive

Overall opinion:
    I really like the looks and functionality of this site. It keeps zero when I take it off and put it back on after using my Long distance scopes. It really looks great on my Black Scar 16. The battery should last me as long as I need or own this. I would definately buy this again.

Pictures:

Defiant and Canine Casanova thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Review by 15ICAM:

I tested out one of Leupold's new VX-R Scopes this weekend and must say I like it. The new VX-R line uses the Fire Dot which is a small illuminated red dot in the center of the reticle. While they don't specifically state where the quality of glass compares with their other lines, I found it on par or slightly better than the Leupy Mk AR I own. In my research on it, the only semi-official statement I have read is that it is somewhere between the VXII and current VX-III.

The Scope is the Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS (Custom Dial System) Duplex reticle.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...-3-9x40mm-cds/

A few specs from Leupolds page

Length (A) 12.7 in
    Tube Length (B) 5.4 in
    (C) 2.0 in
    (D) 2.0 in
    Eyepiece Length (E) 3.5 in
    Objective Length (F) 3.8 in
    Objective Diameter (G) 1.8 in
    Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
    Tube Diameter (I) 30 mm
    Actual Magnification 8.6 (3.3)
    FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 13.6 (33.6)
    FOV @ 100 m (m) 4.1 (10.2)
    Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (4.2)
    Eye Relief (mm) 95 (106)
    Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 40 mm
    Weight 15.8 oz / 448 g
    Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 60
    Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 60

I mounted the scope on my Rem 700 AAC to test it out. The red dot in the center is right at 1 MOA as it just barely covered the 1" dots I was shooting at 100yds. The red dot does a great job of drawing the eye to the center of the scope. I did find the reticle lines to be slightly thicker than I like. The turrets have nice positive clicks that can be clearly felt. The down side is only the elevation turret is exposed. I would have liked the windage turret to be equally accessible. The scope only has 60 MOA elevation adjustment range which will limit your ability to shoot to longer ranges.

The dot is turned on by a push-button on the left side turret (as looking from the rear) There are 8 brightness settings and a motion sensing auto shut-off feature. The dot will shut off after 4-5min if no motion is detected which can be a good or bad thing. I wish there was a way to to override this if you desire.

The focus is on the eye piece and provides quick crisp focus adjustments. This seemed much easier on this scope than other similar designed scopes

The CDS feature allows you to order BDC turrets of your choosing from the Leupy custom shop. I think they should include a rebate or coupon that includes 1 turret when you purchase the scope but unfortunatly they dont.

I didn't have the opportunity to test in low light conditions

The construction feels sturdy and I'd have no worries that this is any more fragile than similar scopes however in my unqualified guestimation its not nearly as stout as a Nightforce or Leupy Mk4

A few pros/cons

Pros
    - Very Clear Glass
    - 30 mm Tube
    - red-dot grabs the eye
    - Price ($499 MSRP, I got it for $449)
    - Crisp positive turret adjustment

Cons
    - covered windage adjustment
    - Limited reticle choices
    - can't disable red-dot auto shut off
    - thick reticle lines
    - Elevation adj range is only 60 MOA

And the pics

Defiant thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

This is a great idea, so I only have to explain myself once.

First, SCAR 16s.

I chose to go with a Trijicon TR24R which is a 1-4X 24mm scope that has a red triangle reticle. It does not need (or want) batteries, it uses a combination of fiber optic light collection and tritium. During the day the brightness of the reticle can be controlled by opening or closing the fiber optic light collector (and it is bright), at night the tritium makes the phosphor glow to provide light for the reticle. The tritium light is good for 12 years and can be replaced.

The scope is light and the reticle I chose is perfect for my needs. The scope holds zero and has been rugged.

QD mounts on the SCAR rifles are tricky because they can interfere with manipulation of the charging handle. To deal with this I got the Trijicon TR126 mount made by Bobro. It uses a single lever QD that does not require adjustment.

The TR126 is the extended version of the mount which puts the scope forward keeping the QD mechanism back next to the rear sight (see pics). The point of this is to keep the charging handle as clear of obstructions as possible.

Specs:

Weight (oz): 14.4
    Red Triangle
    Length (in): 10.3
    Eye Relief (in): 3.5 - 2
    Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 97.5 - 24.2
    Exit Pupil (mm): 17.5 - 5.1

So here are some pics.

This pic shows the amber reticle, I suggest the red.
    bye

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Good job +1 for the first contribution coming your way
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

I second the Trijicon TR-24 -- this is the TR-24G -- green triangle reticle.

Best features/pros:

The scope is awesome at night -- the tritium in the fiberoptic tubes actually glows in the dark, so you have to shut the brightness control sunshade cover to keep it from revealing your position, but it makes target location at night a breeze -- as revolutionary as night sights....

Functions as a red dot sight at 1x, as a rifle scope at 4x, and variable settings. Trijicon/Bobro quick detach mounts work great -- this one is the TR-125, standard eye relief.

Cons:

Runs out of glass beyond 200 yards, at least for my eyes, but so does the 5.56 in terms of effectiveness, so it is perfect for 5.56 rounds.

Glass is very clear, but not as crisp all the way out to the edges as Austrian or German glass (Swarovski, Zeiss, Steiner, Leica).

For $800, plus $200 for mount...tremendous value.

TR-24R (red triangle reticle) on SCAR 17S (perfect set up for CQB usage):

Defiant and skoot61 thanked this.
    Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

Placeholder for other options....
    Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

DOE
    Reserving my review spot.

Scope / Mount:
    Trijicon TA33-G-H / American Defence AD-B2 Modular mount.

Specs:
    Magnification 3x
    Objective Size 30
    Bullet Drop Compensator Yes
    Length (In) 6.1
    Weight (oz) 11.64 w/ mount
    Illumination Source Fiber Optics & Tritium
    Reticle Pattern Horseshoe
    Day Reticle Color Green
    Night Reticle Color Green
    Calibration 5.56 or .223
    Eye Relief 1.9
    Exit Pupil 10
    Field of View (Degrees) 3.7
    Field of View @ 100 yards (ft) 19.3
    Adjustment @ 100 yards (clicks/in) 4
    Mount TA60
    Mount Comes With TA60
    Housing Material Forged Aluminum

Uses:
    Home defense, short yardage target shooting out to 500yds.

Pro's:
    Glass is very clear. Very light weight when used with AD-B2 mount. Has drop compensator out to 600 yards. BAC concept. Horse shoe reticle is very fast to target. Eye relief is great. Specs say 1.9, but it's more like 3-4". No batteries required. Scope is always on.

Con's:
    FOV is small, but that's what your other eye is for. The standard TA60 mount that comes with it is heavy. 3X versus 4X.

Overall opinion:
    I tried several optics and went with the TA33-G-H. Tried the TA31RCOM4, TA31F, TA11, Aimpoint M3, T1 with 3X magnifier, and Leupold 1-3X CQ/T. The 4X Acogs had short eye relief. 3.5X Acog was heavier then it needed to be (includes CQ/T). Tried Eotechs; 551, 512, 552, & 553. 551 sucked when it came to battery life (drained while it was off). 552 had a problem with the seals going bad and had to be sent back. 553 had Arms levers that were loose when closed.

Liked the red dots, but wanted magnification of target for identification. Aimpoint 3X and red dot combo took up too much rail space and the dot on the T1 was not round, but oblong. I chose the green option, since it shows up really fast at night and daylight. At night with red and amber reticles, they can be washed out with tail lights from a car. I chose the AD-B2 mount because I didn't want to carry a wrench around. In addition, if needed, I could scavage the TD VFG clamp. Larue would have been my second choice. I just didn't like that the lever would face forward if switched to the right side.

Pictures:

Reticle:

Stock TA33 w/ TA60 mount:

American Defense AD-B2 mount:

AD-B2 with TA33:

StoneRaven, Mr. Kodiak and Twofer thanked this.

ELCAN SpecterDR 1.5-6x

Scope / Mount: ELCAN SpecterDR 1.5-6x

Specs:
    Magnification 1.5x 6x
    Length 184mm (7.25")
    Width 76mm (3")
    Height 76mm (3")
    Weight 700g (1.54lbs)
    Illumination Source Battery-powered LED (650nm)
    Illumination Settings 10 intensity levels
    Reticle 5.56, 7.62 STD or 0.50 cal
    Eye Relief 70 mm (2 ¾ ")
    Field of View 16° 4°
    Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm (1.65")
    Exit Pupil 7 mm (0.275")
    Zeroing Range ±60 MOA
    Movement per Click ½ MOA
    Mount Capability MIL-STD-1913
    Operating Temp -40 to +65°C (-40 to 140°F)
    Storage Temp -40 to +85°C (-40 to 180°F)
    Environmental
    - Waterproof:
    - Shockproof:
    66ft for 2 hours min
    450 g's
    Battery / Life DL 1/3 N / Min 300 hrs @ max brightness
    Finish Anodized

Uses: X-Cutting, Tactical Training, soon to hunt hogs

Pro's: Extremely large objective and ocular lens Diameter allow lots of light and a bright sight picture
    Flip of the lever from 1.5x to full 6x
    Choice of illuminated crosshair or dot, each with 10 intensity levels
    SpecterDR™ Dual Role Rifle Sight- 2011 NRA Publications Golden Bullseye Award Winner
    SpecterDR™ Dual Role Rifle Sight is the "One and Only" and now 2011 NRA Shooting Illustrated Optic of the Year!

Con's: It’s a bit heavy at 1.5#.

Overall opinion: Very happy with the scope, have no plans to get rid of it. Ever!

P.S. The last pic is my SCAR 17S w/ the ELCAN

Pacer, MACHTECH, Sim and 1 others thanked this.

Has anyone used a Barska scope? What are your opinions?

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links