FN Herstal Firearms banner

School me

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FS2KSTD 
#1 ·
OK, I'm not military or LE and I'm used to just plain Jane cross hairs. Can someone school me on the pros/cons of these particular reticles (I am familiar with benefits of a Mil-Dot reticle). I think one of these Bushnell is what I'll be putting on my SCAR 17.

Bushnell - CQB 1-6.5x 24mm - IR BTR-2

Bushnell - CQB 1-6.5x 24mm - IR BTR-1 FFP

Also, all 4 models show Side Focus Parallax adjustment so not sure what the differences are. No instruction manual yet. Introduced at Shot Show 2012. As an interesting aside for some of the younger guys here, this is on the origins of the Elite line of scopes.

Tactical-Life.com » Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical FFP

#3 ·
Yeah, sorry, guess I was rambling on a bit about different things. I'm OK on the parallax, but what I was really wondering about was the difference between, and particularly the use of, those two reticle types. I tried looking in the on line instructions for the Elite Tactical scopes but it was too general and did not cover these new scopes.

#4 ·
The FFP (first focal plane) scope will have the reticule stay constant to the target (you can use the reticule to judge drop at any magnification) while the second focal plane reticule will be perceived to be the same size to the shooter but for each hold off line, it will be different drop for each magnification.

#5 ·
Most of the time I hate to use Wiki as a reference but in this case it is actually a pretty decent explanation of first focal plane vs. second focal plane optics, in laymen terms:

"Reticle focal planeThe reticle may be located at the front or rear focal plane (First Focal Plane (FFP) or Second Focal Plane (SFP)) of the telescopic sight. On fixed power telescopic sights there is no significant difference, but on variable power telescopic sights the front plane reticle remains at a constant size compared to the target, while rear plane reticles remain a constant size to the user as the target image grows and shrinks. Front focal plane reticles are slightly more durable, but most American users prefer that the reticle remains constant as the image changes size, so nearly all modern American variable power telescopic sights are rear focal plane designs. European high end optics manufacturers often leave the customer the choice between a FFP or SFP mounted reticle."

Reticle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It took me a while to wrap my head around the concept ... hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.