Elcan Specter DR for SCAR 17s - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: Elcan Specter DR for SCAR 17s

Quote Originally Posted by MojoSlim View Post
    Thank goodness for Tax Returns (i.e., getting money that was yours already and thinking you just "made money" )

I've got all the weights of my actual and theoretical items in an excel spreadsheet:

126.56 oz - SCAR 17 (got that weight off the FN website - not sure if that includes empty magazine)
    6.00 oz - Grip Pod
    25.6 oz - 20 rds in a magazine
    24.69 oz - Elcan 1.5x-6x
    1.20 oz - Daniel Defense Offset Rail
    0.60 oz - Leupold DeltaPoint

= 184.65 oz = 11.54 lbs total. My original goal was to keep it under 12 lbs. That's just under 10 lbs without a loaded Magazine.
    You sir, are on the right track!!! I threw around these setups for a long time and I went a little different route.

Leupold vxiii 2.5x - 8x 36mm w/ TMR
    Warne R.A.M.P mount w/ leupold deltapoint

A bit longer range setup, if I could afford the Elcan I would probably do this exact deal you got going!!!

Good Luck w/ your purchase...
    MojoSlim thanked this.
    Hunters never die... they just go deeper into the woods.

FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rx.tx View Post
    Regarding the ARMS mounts, you can get the "upgraded V2" version of them from ARMS for $15 (I think it was). I ordered and installed them on mine and they are a slight improvement. There is a thread on here somewhere regarding the ordering of said replacements - ARMS was a pleasure to work with.
    Plus one on working with ARMS. I upgraded my mount and the new levers are an improvement in that they are adjustable.

Thanks for the info on the ARMS throw levers (Mk II). I called ARMS today and they said that they could send out the "Retrofit Kit" with detailed instructions. $10 for one lever, $15 for two. It's not on their website, they say, so you have to call to order.

Sounds like, even if the Elcan sits fine on my SCAR 17, the new throw levers are just nicer to work with. $15.00 doesn't sound bad at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    Thanks for the info on the ARMS throw levers (Mk II). I called ARMS today and they said that they could send out the "Retrofit Kit" with detailed instructions. $10 for one lever, $15 for two. It's not on their website, they say, so you have to call to order.

Sounds like, even if the Elcan sits fine on my SCAR 17, the new throw levers are just nicer to work with. $15.00 doesn't sound bad at all.
    Unless they changed their instructions, there are a few pitfalls to avoid during the instalation of the new levers. I documented them on page five of this thread. Elcan SpecterDr not fitting on 16s

My thoughts as of right now- go with the 1.5x - 6x Elcan to take advantage of the 17's range and add a Leupold delta point on an offset (1 o'clock) mount in front for "bad breath" ranges and up. The 1.2 oz of a Daniel Defense Offset mount and 0.6 oz of a Leupold Deltapoint = 1.8 oz seems negligible.
    Mojo, I'm THIS close to doing the same configuration. If you go this route, will you share whether or not you're satisfied?

Does anyone know which 7.62 cartridge the ELCAN's "7.62" reticle is designed for? I'm presuming Raytheon used ballistic data for 7.62 NATO. It won't matter much if you're shooting within a couple hundred meters, but beyond that, bullet weight and shape can affect your shot placement enough to miss the "vital spot" of your target. It's not enough to just use the reticle to estimate 300 meters and shoot unless you're using the exact cartridge it's designed it for.

That's the biggest drawback I see about the ELCAN - the reticle is specific to military use. In the civilian world, where there are many different weights and shapes of 308, the reticle won't match up correctly.

ANY ballistic reticle only works with one spec of ammo. If you want your SCAR to be a tac driver at 1000 yds, you need a tac-driver scope. The ELCAN is a battle sight on a battle rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunshine View Post
    I'm presuming Raytheon used ballistic data for 7.62 NATO.
    That would be my guess too. M80 Ball, 147 gr, FMJBT round. I know the big companies like to use US standard issue rounds as their gauge; Trijicon used M855 and M80 Ball rounds for their ACOGs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool gear won't save you, but what's wrong with Surviving in Style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Here is a re-post of my earlier info on the 7.62 reticle:

I've got 7.62 reticle and I had a phonecon with the guy who designed the 7.62 reticle for the SpecterDR because I wanted to know what weapon / ammo combo it was designed for. I shoot mostly M852 (168 gr MatchKings), some M80 147 gr, and some 173 gr M118 special ball.

Basically, he told me that it's a "blended" reticle which will work reasonably well for all of the above. The generalized specs were for a 168 gr HPBT bullet at 2600 fps. Barrel length really doesn't matter - your muzzle velocity does. I handload my 168's a little lighter at 2550 so I've got more drop out past 400 even with the 7.62 reticle. I haven't had a chance to go past 300 due to range limitations where I shoot, so I'd be interested to see what folks results are at extended ranges, but given the style reticle for over 500 (circles not crosshairs), I think the point is that you are engaging an area, not precision target at extended range.

I just flipped through the entire manual for the 1.5-6x and it doesn't mention a specific manufacturer or grain. I remember it being 147gr when I looked into it though, wish I could find the source of that info for ya.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links