I'm pretty close to deciding on shelling out the ducketts for an Elcan Specter DR 1x - 4x (or 1x-6x).
I'm pretty green when it comes to tactical optics (transitioning from Hunting optics) and I'd like to get some clarification from those of you in the know with regards to a few questions I have about it.
* Is the reticle or cross hairs still visible without illumination? As in, could it still at least partially function without the battery?
* Co-witnessing with this sight. Possible, practical? Maybe I'm not clear on co-witnessing. My question is in regards to whether you can use the Elcan sans illumination and use the irons to aim (as a makeshift sight with magnification). I guess, if you can actually see the cross hairs without illumination (my first question), then this wouldn't be needed.
* Is this a "both eyes open" type of scope in terms of parallax? Couldn't find the info on Raytheon's site.
* 1x-4x or 1.5x-6x? I like the idea of the Dual Roles (CQB and mid/long range).
On the short end: Would the 1.5x be tougher to obtain targets at close range (in relation to the 1x), or is it still pretty fast acquisition?
On the long end : The local range is 200yds max. I can shoot steel gongs with my Winchester 70 carbine in 30-06 at that distance, and, though I haven't taken game at that distance, I'd feel comfortable doing so out to 200 yds. However, I'd like to be able to start reaching out further. Obviously, I'm not gonna be jumping to 600 yards with confidence anytime considered "right away," but I'd like to be able to do that at some point. I'd have to hit the National Forest with a range finder range out some targets, but this is something I want to start doing to gain proficiency past 200 yards. What sorts of distance/ranges can be expected with the 4x? ... With the 6x? (I guess I shouldn't say, "expect" but what ranges are you comfortable out to with those magnifications, and more specifically, with the Elcan Specter DR?)
* Does it come with a mount, or is that something I'll have to add into my budget?
* Anything you can think of to talk me into/out of this optic?
Thanks a lot for reading and look forward to your input!