Elcan Specter DR for SCAR 17s

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: Elcan Specter DR for SCAR 17s

Elcan Specter DR for SCAR 17s

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty close to deciding on shelling out the ducketts for an Elcan Specter DR 1x - 4x (or 1x-6x).

I'm pretty green when it comes to tactical optics (transitioning from Hunting optics) and I'd like to get some clarification from those of you in the know with regards to a few questions I have about it.

* Is the reticle or cross hairs still visible without illumination? As in, could it still at least partially function without the battery?

* Co-witnessing with this sight. Possible, practical? Maybe I'm not clear on co-witnessing. My question is in regards to whether you can use the Elcan sans illumination and use the irons to aim (as a makeshift sight with magnification). I guess, if you can actually see the cross hairs without illumination (my first question), then this wouldn't be needed.

* Is this a "both eyes open" type of scope in terms of parallax? Couldn't find the info on Raytheon's site.

* 1x-4x or 1.5x-6x? I like the idea of the Dual Roles (CQB and mid/long range).
    On the short end: Would the 1.5x be tougher to obtain targets at close range (in relation to the 1x), or is it still pretty fast acquisition?
    On the long end : The local range is 200yds max. I can shoot steel gongs with my Winchester 70 carbine in 30-06 at that distance, and, though I haven't taken game at that distance, I'd feel comfortable doing so out to 200 yds. However, I'd like to be able to start reaching out further. Obviously, I'm not gonna be jumping to 600 yards with confidence anytime considered "right away," but I'd like to be able to do that at some point. I'd have to hit the National Forest with a range finder range out some targets, but this is something I want to start doing to gain proficiency past 200 yards. What sorts of distance/ranges can be expected with the 4x? ... With the 6x? (I guess I shouldn't say, "expect" but what ranges are you comfortable out to with those magnifications, and more specifically, with the Elcan Specter DR?)

* Does it come with a mount, or is that something I'll have to add into my budget?

* Anything you can think of to talk me into/out of this optic?

Thanks a lot for reading and look forward to your input!

Quote Originally Posted by MojoSlim View Post
    * Is the reticle or cross hairs still visible without illumination? As in, could it still at least partially function without the battery? It has a glass etched reticle, so without illumination you can still clearly see the reticle.

* Co-witnessing with this sight. Possible, practical? Maybe I'm not clear on co-witnessing. My question is in regards to whether you can use the Elcan sans illumination and use the irons to aim (as a makeshift sight with magnification). I guess, if you can actually see the cross hairs without illumination (my first question), then this wouldn't be needed. You cannot co-witness through a Elcan, however - the elcan units have a BUIS mounted on top of it. Ghost ring rear with front post.

* Is this a "both eyes open" type of scope in terms of parallax? Couldn't find the info on Raytheon's site. Yes, you can use it both eye's open as it's designed that way. It's a fixed parallax optic.

* 1x-4x or 1.5x-6x? I like the idea of the Dual Roles (CQB and mid/long range).
    On the short end: Would the 1.5x be tougher to obtain targets at close range (in relation to the 1x), or is it still pretty fast acquisition? That depends on you. Some people can use a 2x, or 3x for up close work. Others it has to be 1x or they eyes can't handle it. All personal preference and how your brain interprets what it is seeing.
    On the long end : The local range is 200yds max. I can shoot steel gongs with my Winchester 70 carbine in 30-06 at that distance, and, though I haven't taken game at that distance, I'd feel comfortable doing so out to 200 yds. However, I'd like to be able to start reaching out further. Obviously, I'm not gonna be jumping to 600 yards with confidence anytime considered "right away," but I'd like to be able to do that at some point. I'd have to hit the National Forest with a range finder range out some targets, but this is something I want to start doing to gain proficiency past 200 yards. What sorts of distance/ranges can be expected with the 4x? ... With the 6x? (I guess I shouldn't say, "expect" but what ranges are you comfortable out to with those magnifications, and more specifically, with the Elcan Specter DR?) Largely dependent on skill and eyesight, 4x should carry you to 400-500 yards for minute-of-man, with 6x making those shots easier, and stretching the legs a little further. Again, a lot of that is eyesight, trigger pull, etc.

* Does it come with a mount, or is that something I'll have to add into my budget? Elcan's ship with an ARMS throw lever mount. Some consider this the weakest part of the unit.

* Anything you can think of to talk me into/out of this optic? I like mine. The illum dot is the brightest of any optic I've seen in broad daylight. The ease/speed of switching from 1x to 4x in a single unit is unmatched, and while the Elcan is heavy, it's typically lighter than a magnified optic with side mounted RDS solution. Good glass, durable, and balances very well on the 17.

Good luck with your decision.
    See above in red.
    Last edited by Tactical Monkey; 03-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Tactical Monkey:

Thank you for your concise answers to my queries. Awesome! This will really help me make an informed decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Hi All,

Back for more punishment (i.e, more info to paralyze and befuddle my brain!!) regarding the Elcan Specter DR 1.5x-6x.

At this point, I'm mostly wanting to get input from people who own or have seen/used the 1.5x-6x (most especially with a SCAR 17). I'd like to get your opinion on the 1.5x magnification in close quarters/close range. I've been scouring the internets for a while now, trying to get information specific to the 1.5x as close range magnification, and, while others have asked the question, there seems to be no clear answers, as many of threads end up focusing on the 6x magnification for long range. Tactical Monkey gave me a great summary above, but I really have no way of looking through one of these before I buy it, so I'd like to get an idea from those of you who use it about how well it performs at close range:

-Speed of Acquisition of Target
    -Using both eyes open
    -Opinions on usefulness as Close Quarter Battle magnification
    -Anything about it make you wish you went with the 1x-4x instead?

Not asking anyone to tell me how it will work for me at close range, as that would be impossible for you to do. I would just like to get more opinions to wade through so that I can make my decision a more informed one.

Thanks again!

FWIW, I spent a week deciding between the 1.5-6x and 1-4x for my SCAR17. I went with the 1.5-6x. Here are my thoughts, take with a grain of salt:

I definitely can cowitness with the 1.5-6x on my SCAR.

The 1.5x mag has worked just fine for me at close range - it actually helps a bit.

You can two-eye-open the setup with 1.5x but it definitely does take a little getting used to.

The SCAR 17 can accurately shoot further than I can see with 4x magnification (found this out via ACOG). With 6x I can shoot more accurately and comfortably, not to mention further, which is the whole point in going for a 17 over a 16 in the first place (again, in my opinion).

Bottom line for me: Would I want to clear a building/room with 1.5x mag? No, I'd want an EOTech or reflex sight. I also wouldn't want a SCAR 17 for that task in the first place. The 1.5-6x best compliments the purpose the SCAR 17 was designed for IMHO.
    ddnuts and MojoSlim thanked this.

I use my SCAR as my Go To/All Around rifle, so I went with the 1x-4x. I like having the 1x for close CQB distance with the red dot on.

I can then throw the lever to 4x for a ranged shot. Realistically, that's all I'll need in an Urban setting. Now if you live in the mountains and will have long sight distances the 1.5x-6x may be better. The 1.5 can be tough to deal with in a fast acquisition room or hallway distance shot though.
    MojoSlim thanked this.

A lot of good info already here. I own a 1-4x and the only point not covered is that the angle at which your eye has to be lined up behind the sight is not very forgiving. Off a little bit and you get bad scope shadow. I can also cowitness with irons on 1x OK if the Elcan is mounted not over the rear buis. This doesn't seem so important though when using it. The etched reticle is great and I rarely bother to turn on illumination.

The Elcan feels better on an AR than my 17s, maybe the lower center of gravity in the mounting point? Either way the Elcan is good; the only other magnified optic I can think of that I might want instead is the S&B 1-8x short dot and i'm not so sure if they ever released that.

Edit: and i'm not so sure about the ARMS mounts. When mounted if i grab the Elcan I can feel a little movement between the optic and the receiver so that doesn't seem encouraging.
    MojoSlim thanked this.

Regarding the ARMS mounts, you can get the "upgraded V2" version of them from ARMS for $15 (I think it was). I ordered and installed them on mine and they are a slight improvement. There is a thread on here somewhere regarding the ordering of said replacements - ARMS was a pleasure to work with.
    FiveToOne and Gunshine thanked this.

Yea they were great to work with for 15 bucks you get both kits,
    MojoSlim thanked this.
    That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Trijicon 6x48 ACOG Riflescope (Matte Black) TA648-308H

And a MRD. Then you have true no magnification and 6X when you look through the monster ACOG. I does weigh more but seems to be cheaper than the 1.5-6X elcan. I have never heard from any one that owns one of these.
    MojoSlim thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Of course I am compensating for something.... If I could kill something at 300 meters with my c*ck I would not need a gun!

Originally Posted by Clyde
    and then they get to enjoy trying to ride the concussion wave....
    and start peppering them mercilessly with flying hot brass

....well this Country is aboard a Dreamliner, and the Pilot is screaming "Allah-Akbar"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links