Optics that just didn't work out - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree110Thanks

Thread: Optics that just didn't work out

Cetane, which VX-R is that?.. So far thats 2 different optics that won't fit the ADM-D

Its the VX . R 3-9x50

002.jpg
    Last edited by cetane; 07-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Of course I am compensating for something.... If I could kill something at 300 meters with my c*ck I would not need a gun!

Originally Posted by Clyde
    and then they get to enjoy trying to ride the concussion wave....
    and start peppering them mercilessly with flying hot brass

....well this Country is aboard a Dreamliner, and the Pilot is screaming "Allah-Akbar"

So far, the following optics will not work with the ADM-D mount

Leupold VX-R 3-9x50
    USO 1.5-6
    byoung thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

great thread, thanks everyone.

Goofy as this sounds I couldn't get the Elcan specter 1.5-6x to work for me. The rear aperture can't be focused for shooters eyes...basically if you wear glasses you have to wear them when shooting with this optic. I was bummed such a nice optic.
    cetane and kermit4161 thanked this.
    Formerly known as Tango Down.

Wow, thanks everyone. So it sounds to me that the solution is to have two solutions.
    1. Eotech Red Dot (or similar) for quick target acquisition, short range target, varmits, etc <150 yards.
    2. Variable scope for longer range shots, deer hunting, game hunting out to 100-200+ range.

It sounds like there is no perfect solution for both applications, except perhaps the ACOG with the red dot mounted on top of it, but how realistic is that, how high does it stick up and what all will I whack it on getting to the hunting blind. Plus the cost is out of my budget.

What I'm gonna do is get me an Eotech for target practice and varmit hunting, and get me a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5x14 for more long range deer hunting and long distance targets.
    Hopefully I can get the correct mounts so they can be fairly quickly mounted and dismounted with a complete zero and re-sight exercise.

Tell me if I'm crazy.

Charlie W. in Texas.
    Cpt Scott thanked this.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWalther View Post
    It sounds like there is no perfect solution for both applications, except perhaps the ACOG with the red dot mounted on top of it, but how realistic is that, how high does it stick up and what all will I whack it on getting to the hunting blind. Plus the cost is out of my budget.

What I'm gonna do is get me an Eotech for target practice and varmit hunting, and get me a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5x14 for more long range deer hunting and long distance targets.
    Hopefully I can get the correct mounts so they can be fairly quickly mounted and dismounted with a complete zero and re-sight exercise.
    I had a ACOG with a RMD on top. I didn't care for the set up, I found it to be higher then I'd like, having to raise my head off the stock to use the RMD.
    The set up does work and some guys like it, I tried it and didn't care for it.

As for QD optic mounts I'd look at these guys.

American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Mounts

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I have a ACOG TA31RMR, and I do find that transition to the red dot awkward. I've learned to work with it, but looking back, I would go another route if I had it to do over. It feels like I'm peeking over a wall ala Kilroy was Here.
    “No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.” ― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Econometrics View Post
    GREAT idea, Cam!

Here's mine: TA11-E (green) on LaRue LT100 with Docter red dot. (Look familiar, Cam?)

Before anyone gets feisty... let me say that I LOVE the TA11E! Everything about the optic is great. However, after strapping it to my 17, I realized I needed something with a little more power and flexibility for the kind of shooting I want to do.

Therefore, I've sold her and am going to replace her with a Leupold Mark IV 2.5-8x36 M1 with the TMR reticle this week.
    Dude, that's an excellent optic on a SCAR 17 for CQB use and it is calibrated out to 400-500 meter hold over if I remember correctly. Extremely quick target acquisition, brilliant clarity and huge FOV. A bulletproof scope. Sorry to see it listed in this thread just because it's not your ideal hunting scope. I would expect to see optics listed here that simply don't work with the SCAR platform or .308 caliber. It's a shame to see it in this thread, it really is. I'm a huge fan of ACOGs on battle rifles and have them on 4 of mine including my new 17. --RR
    Bcarson4374 and H2O MAN thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZroadrunner View Post
    Dude, that's an excellent optic on a SCAR 17 for CQB use and it is calibrated out to 400-500 meter hold over if I remember correctly. Extremely quick target acquisition, brilliant clarity and huge FOV. A bulletproof scope. Sorry to see it listed in this thread just because it's not your ideal hunting scope. I would expect to see optics listed here that simply don't work with the SCAR platform or .308 caliber. It's a shame to see it in this thread, it really is. I'm a huge fan of ACOGs on battle rifles and have them on 4 of mine including my new 17. --RR
    Nobody said anything about hunting... These are reviews of optics that didn't work for the "end user" not a don't buy list...
    Talhoffer, cetane, ZipDog and 1 others thanked this.
    Hunters never die... they just go deeper into the woods.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links