SCAR 17 and 1-6x24 CRS (Combat Rifle Scope)

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree28Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17 and 1-6x24 CRS (Combat Rifle Scope)

SCAR 17 and 1-6x24 CRS (Combat Rifle Scope)

I posted this in another thread, but that thread likely isn't active any longer so I thought I'd post it here, for those who may be interested.

Like many posters here, I did a lot of research into the best glass to mount to my SCAR-H. And in the end, I made an unconventional choice -- but one that I think many people here might find intriguing.

The scope is a GRSC 1-6x24 FFP scope, illuminated, with a patented reticle. In my opinion it is a great all-purpose scope for a battle rifle -- and designed to be just that -- inasmuch as it works very well through the effective range of the weapon itself (for CQB it acts like a "red dot"; for longer ranges it uses a very intuitive ranging system based on 10"/20", or head/torso, the details of which are explained in a video, below), and, at least up to 530 yards, the BDC, though calculated specifically for 5.56, works just as well with 7.62 (at 147gr, tested with an FN FAL).

The scope is designed first and foremost for quick target acquisition in CQB, and under such conditions is meant to be used with both eyes open. It is a true 1x scope. Illuminated for low light, the horse shoe acts as a red dot at 1 or 1.5x; in bright light and with no illumination, the black horse shoe reticle is very easy to pick up. If you like (or are only used to) a full-time illuminated dot, you may or may not immediately like the reticle site picture in direct sunlight: me, I like the high contrast that the non-illuminated "black dot" provides in such conditions, where the illuminated red can get a bit washed out on an FFP scope. And the time to target acquisition with this scope is just as fast or faster for me as it is with the RMR I have on my FNP-45 Tac.

Manufactured by Light Optics in Japan and using a proprietary / patented reticle from Ed Verdugo, former Special Forces, who also designed many of the sling attachments in use today, it has excellent glass with no distortion that I can find up at 6x. At the $1025 price point (less for military / LE), it is a fantastic, do-it-all optic for a combat rifle like the SCAR. Unlike some of its competitors, it uses low profile capped turrets, which makes them worry free (also, under the turret caps you can store spare CR2032 batteries, which provides the illumination).

You can find some outside reviews linked on the site that sells these, Norden Performance.

Full disclosure: I have no connection to Ed Verdugo or the companies involved in the design or production of the scope, outside of a few conversations I had with him to get some questions answered. I'm just a guy who did a lot of research on this and feels like he hit on a great solution for the SCAR. I'm particularly fond of the reticle for a battle rifle set up. In terms of build, it's very solid, without a lot of frills.

It's important to note, just so I'm clear, that this isn't a sniper scope, nor is it intended to be. It's a one-scope solution for a battle rifle and its regular applications. The scope weighs in at about the same weight as many 1-4x24 scopes, doesn't require a separate magnifier to turn a red dot into a useful distance scope, is night vision compatible, and works very well at all its ranges. For those who like mil-dots, this has those available for use, as well, but with the primary ranging system employed here you can put down the calculators and slide rules and hit your target consistently at and beyond the effective range (300yds for head shots; 500 yard for torso) of the rifle.

Honestly, I couldn't be more happy with the thing. The next step up is likely to be 1-8x options, some of which will use both front and rear focal planes (to "solve" the illumination "problem"). But those are going to double or triple the price, I figure.

Other scopes I very seriously considered were the Vortex Viper, the SWFA 1-4/6, the Trijicon TR24G, an ACOG, and the Leupold VX-6 1-6x with Firedot SPR

Below I'll include some vids made by Ed Verdugo to show the reticle and the ranging system, along with the obligatory picture of my rig wit the scope mounted. I used a Bobro extended mount and haven't had any problems with the charging handle giving me knuckle rash. I'll still probably pick up one of Stryker's EACH, but that's just because I like the heft of the thing, not because the scope mount gets in the way.

[Edit: I should note that I briefly considered an Elcan, too -- and all reports are that they are great scopes -- but my price range was constrained by the purchase of the rifle itself. I have a wife, you see, and I like being married... Also, a guy who goes by BigJimFish has done a great job of reviewing variable low power scopes, including impressions from 2012 SHOT Show, the compilation of which can be seen here.]

IMG_0640.jpg

Last edited by proteinwisdom; 08-19-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: additional notes; some fixes.
    Dobe, Defiant and digrazir thanked this.

Or maybe not so intriguing after all.
    SCAR 17S
    FNP45 TAC
    TAURUS 24/7 OSS TAC

I am not a gun-free zone.

I actually found it quite interesting. Don't worry about the lack of involvement so far. It was almost Monday when you posted.....

This scope does seem to offer what would be ideal in a combat optic. I for one will be doing some research into this as I could be looking for something of the like to fit a new venture I may take on soon. The reticle does look very promising.
    Last edited by scrubber3; 08-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    proteinwisdom thanked this.
    In light of current events, I've sold all of my firearms.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I don't thank nearly enough because I use tapatalk most of the time....

US Army Vet, VCDL, NRA Member and RSO certified. I also have a fishing license.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thanks.

I should add that if there's a drawback (other than the illumination problem, which I happen to think is overstated, frankly), it's that this scope has a smaller FOV than some of its most direct competitors. However up close, the flat 1x in CQB tests suggest, perhaps counter-intuitively, that a slightly smaller FOV is less important than a lack of distortion at the low end (the primary reason I selected the GRSC over the Leupold VX-6). The test group put together by the reviewer ranked the GRSC 1-6 first overall in CQB target acquisition speed, while the reviewer himself ranked it second, just behind the Elcan.

This is telling, I think, because the scope was designed with CQB as its top priority, and it delivers on that design objective -- as well as operates very well out to distance, with easy sighting and ranging.

Another note: at close range you can see a bit of the illumination bleed out of the optic. But you can't see at any kind of significant distance (of the kind where you'd worry about giving away a position). Which is to say, when you're close enough to be seen by a (potential) hostile, a faint glow from your sight may also be seen by that (potential) hostile. Who probably should be worried less about the bleed from your illuminated reticle at that point than the muzzle you're pointing his way. But be that as it may.

Not sure if there's a mass market ARD available for a 30 mm lens, but I suspect that with the proliferation of illuminated low variable lenses, something will show up shortly, should you feel you need one.

At any rate, the designer of the scope notes this in his explanatory material, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Also, because I've now been through the process: The eyepiece takes a Butler Creek 02A lid; the rear objective a BC 18. And if you are interested in a cattail lever, the 1 x Mueller APT Switchview Lever (SVMAPT) is the proper fit.
    Last edited by proteinwisdom; 08-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Gark thanked this.
    SCAR 17S
    FNP45 TAC
    TAURUS 24/7 OSS TAC

One would think by that point, he does already know you're there and as stated probably isn't that worried by that point. Overall, this seems like a sound optic. Since you've posted this, I've been looking into it more and the overtop horseshoe reticle brings a better target perspective than the average red dot or holo. Maybe they will bring out a true red dot 1x only using this reticle. I like it as is, but there are some folks that wont buy simply on the premise that it isn't available in the small red dot package that they are used to.

Regardless, a very promising scope that has my eye on it. Thanks for enlighting.
    JCatt thanked this.
    In light of current events, I've sold all of my firearms.

I don't thank nearly enough because I use tapatalk most of the time....

US Army Vet, VCDL, NRA Member and RSO certified. I also have a fishing license.

I've been increasingly impatient for my SWFA HD 1-6 to come in for my SCAR 17. I might have to look into this other scope if they don't release the scope soon. Thanks for the info.
    Hairlesswookiee thanked this.

I looked into the SWFA 1-6 at one point, as well. SWFA makes great stuff and a lot of folks swear by their 1-4, which I have never tried. Nice price point on the 1-6, too -- right in line with the GRSC. What sold me on the CRS was the reticle and the ranging system -- along with the testing done to show reliability out past 530 yards with 147gr 308, even with a built-in BDC calibrated for 223. The fact that it was being manufactured by Light Optics told me the quality would be on par with a lot of more expensive scopes from more established names. Also, it was available.

So I figured why wait when what I was looking for was already being made?
    SCAR 17S
    FNP45 TAC
    TAURUS 24/7 OSS TAC

are the 1-6 available yet? Looks good to me,the size of the shoe and rings is very well thought out.

A lot of good information. I'm still processing.
    Dobe

ACORN - Serving Pimps and Hos Since 1970

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the mount orientation / position in the photo in the first post.

As far as the glass, I have no experience with it and tend to stick with the brands that have proven themselves over time (to me).

-SS
    loki*hunter, Gamecock84 and cetane thanked this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links