Handl Defense SCAR 25 Lower Problems

FN Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree15Thanks

Thread: Handl Defense SCAR 25 Lower Problems

Handl Defense SCAR 25 Lower Problems

I'm brand new to this forum but sure as hell wish I would have found this before I ordered my Handl Defense SCAR 25 lower in FDE. I waited approximately 3 months to get the lower. I got it in April but just had to guts from my stock lower swapped over into it by a local gunsmith. When I picked up the SCAR 25 lower the gunsmith told me the openings for the parts were extremely tight. I got it home last night and tried attaching it to my upper receiver with no such luck.

It literally would not slide into the rear portion which would allow me to push the pin into the front take down hole. I filed some of the material off so it would slide into position at the back plate. This did allow the front part of the lower to slide into place, however the take down pin was a pain in the butt to get in. Once in, it left a gap almost an 1/8 of an inch gap between the upper and lower near the take down down pin.

I bought it from Rainier Arms and they want me to email photos and go from there. I seriously hope they can fix it or replace. I may be screwed. In one of the photos you can tell where they drilled/machined the take down pin hole too high, causing the gap. First photo shows the gap formed from the take down pin hole on the new lower being drilled too high, causing this issue. Second photo shows what I had to do to the end of the new lower just to get it to seat correctly in the back plate. Last photo shows the difference where the take down hinge pin hole is compared to the stock lower.

SCAR25 lower with guts with gap closeup.jpgSCAR25 rear filed to fit.jpgSCAR25 with guts installed with gap.jpgStock and SCAR25 Pivot difference big time.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry man, it'd take it up with Rainier.

Handl conveniently says parts should be installed by them, I think for another $100 or so.
    - Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Sorry man, it'd take it up with Rainier.

Handl conveniently says parts should be installed by them, I think for another $100 or so.
    Guess I should've found this forum before I ordered it. I got a call into Rainier and just sent an email with photos, etc. I was very tactful so hopefully I get a good response. Problem is, even if Handl would have installed the guts into their lower, the take down pin holes don't match the stock lower, hence the gap when together. They were drilled too high pushing the lower into a slight angle. The filing I had to do doesn't bother me much as it's hidden when assembled. Just hoping nobody else ends up in my boat. That's the main reason for the post. Thanks for the reply RHINOWSO

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Hawes- plenty of others have documented challenges with the parts not lining up for them as well; I think there might be a few threads here on this issue. Sorry you have to go through it and hope Rainier makes it right for you.

Maybe you could return it and spend the money on factory mags?

Quote Originally Posted by HawesEA2 View Post
    Guess I should've found this forum before I ordered it. I got a call into Rainier and just sent an email with photos, etc. I was very tactful so hopefully I get a good response. Problem is, even if Handl would have installed the guts into their lower, the take down pin holes don't match the stock lower, hence the gap when together. They were drilled too high pushing the lower into a slight angle. The filing I had to do doesn't bother me much as it's hidden when assembled. Just hoping nobody else ends up in my boat. That's the main reason for the post. Thanks for the reply RHINOWSO

I hope Rainier takes care of you I know what its like to be SCAR'less for 6 months or so!
    -- CPT U.S. ARMY (RA) --

SCAR 17 FDE
    SCAR 16 FDE
    Springfield M1 Garand
    Inland M1 Carbine
    Remington 870 Wingmaster Shotgun
    S&W M&P .40
    Springfield 1911 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by USGILT View Post
    I hope Rainier takes care of you I know what its like to be SCAR'less for 6 months or so!
    He's not SCARless per se. He still has the OEM lower. He's only out one screwed up lower and 'smith fees for now.
    "Why should I or the NRA go sit down with a group of people who have spent a lifetime trying to destroy the Second Amendment?"- Wayne LaPierre

Originally posted by: SGTStrykerUSMC43
    Just enjoy the time you have left before that dreaded knock comes. Get jiggy with a chick, say "later" to all your buds, give mom a hug.

Don't go near dad. He'll slap you like a fool.
    ALL HAIL AYATOLLAH ELMAZININI!

Ok here's a follow up on my situation. I contacted Rainier Arms and got an email back from Michael Hwang - Operations Manager. He forwarded my email over to a gentleman named Alan at Handl Defense. Alan can be reached at: sales@handldefense.com The following email was sent back to me shortly after:

"Eric,

Im sorry to hear you were having problems. However we do stand behind our product 100%. Send us your lower and we will assess the situation and take the proper steps to remedy the problem. Our lowers are a 100% drop in conversion. That being said go ahead and send us your HD lower along with all your lower parts. We will install them in a new lower and function test it before sending it back to you.

We will be having your shooting Pmags out of your SCAR before you know it. We apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

Send to:

Handl Defense
    Attn: Support
    11120 SE 295th St
    Auburn, WA 98092"

I sent the lower back like I was told to and followed up about a week after they got it from FedEx. I was told they had my lower assembly scheduled next in line to be assessed and they would go from there. Through email communication I was told that I was going to be receiving a NEW lower assembly and they would swap all of the internals over and function test everything and send it back. I had to wait a few weeks for a new batch of lowers that were being constructed/machined, etc.

As promised, I got the new lower assembly back with all of the internals, was able to attach it perfectly to my upper receiver, and everything works like a charm. I have to say that both companies customer service was outstanding! They truly do stand by their product 100%. It did suck, getting a jacked up lower the first time around, but I couldn't be happier with the new one. Alan at Handl Defense and Michael at Ranier Arms were awesome. I also would like to note that I was very respectful and tactful when I communicated with these guys. Treated them like I would like to be treated. It may have helped the situation, it may not have! But either way, I was taken care of. Rainier Arms also updated me in their system as a veteran and I will now receive the veteran's discount. I wish I would have known, as I could have gotten the lower for a cheaper price, but that is besides the point.

Bottom line up front is I would do business with both company's in the future given the way they handled the situation. It speaks volumes of how they regard their customers and their products. I hope this helps anyone considering a purchase from either company. Best regards and happy shooting!!!
    fd57, Dessy, BushyAR15 and 2 others thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by HawesEA2 View Post
    Ok here's a follow up on my situation.....
    Thank you for following up!
    Last edited by HK SD9 Tactical; 08-26-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.
    Vec thanked this.
    Esse quam videri

Good to hear they took care of the problem, I have one on order still waiting too hope mine doesn't come with the same problem lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links