Installed - Geissele Super Scar Trigger (SCAR 16s)

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree11Thanks
  • 1 Post By domino.prime
  • 4 Post By domino.prime
  • 3 Post By CPTdaz
  • 3 Post By akitainu

Thread: Installed - Geissele Super Scar Trigger (SCAR 16s)

Installed - Geissele Super Scar Trigger (SCAR 16s)

Good day!

I wanted to share a couple of pictures from my trigger installation project and the roadblocks that I encountered. I took my time with this one and spent about an hour.

Prep work:
    1. Watch Youtube videos from Mr. Geissele himself (on a SCAR 16s) as well as BootsTasteFunny (HD).

Tools needed:
    1. Punches to drift appropriate pins - I used a Crank Brothers bicycle multi-tool with metric hex keys for this purpose.
    2. Small screwdriver - to remove screw from the right safety selector.

Pictures:

Pouch contents for the trigger [left to right, from the top]: hammer, trigger assembly, locking washer for the grip screw, shorter grip screw, grease.

1.jpg

Lower receiver with parts and tools:

2.jpg

Hammer comparison [Factory (L), Geissele (R)]:

Left side:
    3.jpg

Right side:
    4.jpg

Trigger assembly comparison (Geissele [L], factory [R]):
    5.jpg

Next post, where I got stuck & final observations.

Domino
    CPTdaz thanked this.

Roadblocks/frustrations:

1. This plate encircled in red is unique to the SCAR 16s. Installing it back requires you to:
    a. lower it to its down position next to the frame.
    b. insert the hammer spring/arm retaining pin, securing the arm and plate.
    c. insert the hammer pin through the hole, aligning everything that's under spring pressure.

7.jpg

2. You'll need to move the spring arms to the side so it doesn't get crushed by the trigger assembly prior to you inserting the trigger pin.
    All of this is under spring tension so alignment, pressure, and insertion should all come together
    6.jpg

3. Installed (with a peek-a-boo!):
    8.jpg

Observations:
    There have been many entries in this forum regarding their experience/comparison between the factory and the Geissele Super SCAR trigger. I'll give my take on it:

1. The factory trigger is a single stage so it feels that your finger hits a wall from the start and then you have to push that wall for the break to happen. Not really a problem.
    2. The Geissele Super SCAR has two stages: a short prep/slack before you hit the wall. It only takes a small amount of pressure for the break to happen.

Another way of comparing the differences in pressure for the break to happen:
    Original trigger - like snapping a pencil in half.
    Geissele - like snapping a chopstick in half.

Thanks for looking and comments/clarifications are welcome!

Cheers!

Domino
    Last edited by domino.prime; 06-25-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: adding photo
    1KPerDay, CPTdaz, akitainu and 1 others thanked this.

The trigger assembly alignment part has an easy solution. You basically use a placeholder. Just hold the trigger parts together outside the receiver, insert the end of a stick from q-tip or lollipop, cut it off so the trigger assembly can fit inside the receiver and everything is held place by the bit of stick. Once you align the hole with the hole on the receiver just push the pin through and the bit of stick left over will get push out as the pin takes it's place.
    akitainu, domino.prime and 1KPerDay thanked this.
    "And here remain with your uncertainty! Let every feeble rumor shake your hearts! Your enemies, with nodding of their plumes, fan you into despair! Have the power still to banish your defenders; till at length your ignorance, which finds not till it feels, making but reservation of yourselves, still your own foes, deliver you, as most abated captives to some nation that won you without blows!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTdaz View Post
    The trigger assembly alignment part has an easy solution. You basically use a placeholder. Just hold the trigger parts together outside the receiver, insert the end of a stick from q-tip or lollipop, cut it off so the trigger assembly can fit inside the receiver and everything is held place by the bit of stick. Once you align the hole with the hole on the receiver just push the pin through and the bit of stick left over will get push out as the pin takes it's place.
    A Q-tip (well actually store brand cotton swab) served me well.
    domino.prime, bayonet14 and CPTdaz thanked this.
    “No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.” ― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Sponsored Links