Is the SCAR scope eating problem fixed? - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree43Thanks

Thread: Is the SCAR scope eating problem fixed?

How does such a soft-shooting 7.62 rifle earn such a reputation? I take our friends at their word when they say their optic got broken on their SCAR but it doesn't make sense to me. I imagine a more forward mount might result in more vertical flip. Maybe some folks don't tighten things well enough.

Just thinking out loud, because the SCAR doesn't tend to beat up the shooters thus shouldn't be beating up the optics.
    Cannon762 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMajors View Post
    Vortex Viper 2.5-10 in a bobro mount. Dead in 200 rounds or so. Reticle started rotating clockwise.

NF 4-16 ATACR in an AD mount, dead in less than 200 rounds. Focusing lense came lose.

Both companies fixed their product and returned them to me.

Trijicon ACOG 3.5 TA11E - thousands of rounds in a bobro mount, zero problems.

Vortex makes some good stuff and will stand by by their warranty period but the only one I would put on a semi-auto .308 is the Razor HD. I had a Trijicon Accupoint go FUBAR with the windage knob, sent it in about 2 weeks later back as good as new, so these things do tend to happen. A 7.62 / .308 bolt carrier group is pretty hefty at least in the AR world and will put a hurt on an optic, especially one of lesser quality or made just before beer-thirty hours on a holiday weekend. I am hopeful that Santa delivered my US Optics and mount to my LGS so I can get her mounted and go finally shoot this thing as I have had it for 2 weeks now and no rounds through it.
    Last edited by Zebra644; 12-24-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Not being a rocket scientist or scope designer/manufacture; from what I read (Wish I could remember were I saw it), It is suppose to have something to do with the recoil impulse/vibrations. Normally we think that the "recoil" forces go rearward but with some weapons there is a forward pulse also that is not on all weapons. The best example is air rifles IIRC. So from what I understand is that most scopes are designed for rearward recoil forces and not for that forward force/impulse/vibration.

If I am off base, please someone with more knowledge on the subject speak up as I am interested as well.
    ajindfw thanked this.

had to send in my pst 2.5-10x32 twice for repairs.
    Once for the fast focus eyepiece popping out. Other was the parallax knob spinning with no stops.
    Have it mounted in a Bobro cantilever mount which I hear does not offer the support it needs to survive the recoil impulse of the scar.
    Now it sits on an ar.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I had asked this question myself several years ago... 1 thing that is undisputed !
    1) The Elcan Spectre DR on my 17 has been on there for 3 years (abouts) and went through at least 4-5k in rounds. I even had a torture test and burned down 2k with a can.... the only one being tormented was " me & a gun budd " who was kind enough to help me clean the fiasco.
    Such is life.... sometimes you roll the dice on a 2k piece of glass ... only to find that you got what you paid for .... and other times a brainstorm like running a can for 2k +++ without cleaning the platform teaches you a lesson !

Can also be referred to " Going down the road to the school of Hard Knocks " ! not my words but I know that route well !

Merry Christmas from the Kave !
    ajindfw thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

So from what I gather from all the feedback is you buy the most expensive you can afford for your needs and pray for the best. With the understanding that no matter which scope it is they are man made and a certain percentage is subject to failure no matter. Pay your money and take your chances!

7n6
    Will keep updating. Obviously if you consider an optic found on the list of interwebs that were destroyed by the SCAR 17 ask the manufacturer if they are rated for SCAR 17 use. All these listed below were found with a quick google search of SCAR 17's destroying optics.

So far have read the SCAR 17 has eaten:

Optics: NightForce NF 4-16 ATACR, Swarovski Z6, Kahles, Vortex 1-4, Vortex Viper 2.5-10 PST, US Optics, Zeiss Victory 1.5-6, Trijicon Accupoint, Acog TA33, Trijicon TR24, and a FLIR.

Accessories: PAQ-4C, Surefire M600a,

Not sure what else can be added to that list but I would add Leupold until someone say otherwise. To clarify also, I don't care if the company fixes it- if the rifle eats those scopes why bother purchasing.

So the only safe ones are:
    Aimpoint M4, Trijicon TA11, and late production Elcan.

Some info:

http://www.opticstalk.com/first-ever-optic-selection-new-scar-17_topic34933.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....uin-your-optic
    Last edited by 7n6; 12-27-2015 at 10:22 PM.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    That's not really a fair assessment 7n6. The problem with your statement is that scope manufacturers often times offer a wide range of optics. For example Leupold - They offer scopes from $200 to $4,000. You can't expect the $200 scope to be as rugged or perform as well as the $4K scope. Also it is a mistake to rule out a manufacturer all together because of a couple of isolated incidents (nightforce) when there has been so much success out of their optics on the Scar. Night force has been one of the more popular scope choices for the Scar 17. Also you left out Trijicons Scopes. I have yet to hear about one of them being eaten by the Scar and I have personally ran a 3-9 trij for thousands of rounds on my 17 before it got switched to the 16 and the MK 6 went on the 17. My point is if you're paying for quality you shouldn't be disappointed. The trij can be had for between 7-800 and its rock solid as well as light.
    mjk1, Kev, cetane and 3 others thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I have to agree with Kam... !!!! I hate to see such a humble & deprived platform get bullied by the internet's superior search capabilities.... ( LOL ).... I mean we are in a " safe zone " here ( FNF ) !
    It is my nature to come to the aid of such a defenseless weapon, let me stick up for the underdog 17 ... The SCAR 17 is not the bane of the optics world.

There are a lot of variables that can come into play , " the devil is in the details "... Now not to offend anyone anywhere on the internet that has claimed optic destruction due to the SCAR... I would like to propose considerations.
    1) Was the scope mounted properly ?
    2) Was the mount a superior product ?
    3) Was the optic NIB... or was it used or repaired ?
    4) Was the individual who claimed destruction of knoble character ?( honor - integrity )
    5) Like Kam said... there are all kinds of levels of quality within the product line of a manufacturer such as Luepy. !

I'm not attacking anyone here... I have learned that there is lots of " tripe " pumped on the world wide web and sometimes best to be prudent ! The devil is in the details and there are so many variables along with shooter skill sets, ego's, buyers remorse, ect.... that it's impossible to blame the SCAR for all malfunction of optics.

I can speak 1st hand to this topic.... !
    I have done some internet product trashing myself.... and am not without flaw ! One time specifically.... I must have had my arse-hole power switch to " HIGH "... I received a product in the mail, opened it up and seen something unbelievable.... then proceeded to blast the manu, post up pics in an open forum and start whinning.... LIKE a Fool !

The exact specifics are as follows: ( or devilish details ... if you will ! )
    1) I can't see good without optical help
    2) My physical attributes are generally declining due to age, add in damaged hearing, a general bad disposition , and last but not least a fist full of character defects that I can barely manage...
    3) Can be a Hot-Head
    4) Will admit to not being a expert in anything weapon related .... as painful as it is to admit...

I have to concede that I shot off my mouth , shot myself in both feet and intentionally tried to damage .... (or at least plant the seed ) another companies product was inferior for the $$$ .
    Let me tell you ! ! ! I paid dearly for that one.... I ended up apologizing, making amends and only then.... could my " ego " recover ..... ! LOL ( Gosh darn it man ! ) Not to mention financial reparations to upright the situation.

To summarize, reading the above... in a nut shell.... " The World is grey " we like to think it is Black & White !
    So that's why the details matter, and on the web it is impossible to have all the FACTS !

True story.... meant to be humorous !
    mjk1 OUT !
    Last edited by mjk1; 12-28-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Kev, Rick.2416 and Shadetree thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

That same NF ATACR 4-16×42 that came up on your searches is now giving me issues on a 300WM bolt gun. I must have gotten the one they made on a Friday at 3pm. This the third time it's given me issues and it's been a different issue each time. This time the illuminated reticle turns itself on when I fire.
    Last edited by LeeMajors; 12-28-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    FN SCAR 17s, with tacticool stuff

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links