Scar: Trijicon MRO vs. Aimpoint T1 - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Scar: Trijicon MRO vs. Aimpoint T1

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    T2 is where it's at. Flawless round dot so crisp you can use the edges as hold-off points if you felt the desire. I have not magnified an MRO, though. The T1 was about an 8 MOA hotdog at a 45* angle, just like in photos. One thing I have noted on the MRO is that the fish-eye and magnification make it feel very similar to my Nightforce NXS on 1x. Workable and you can train through it, but not the completely "flat" feel you get looking through a T1 or T2.
    Wondering if my eyes are getting wonky or if I have slight astigmatism. T1+G33 resulted in a 45 degree smear or hotdog as you noted, once I adjusted the diopter/focus on the G33 it morphed into a tight triangle pattern or cluster of 3 small dots, maybe 3-4 moa in size. This cluster is the way the T1 can occasionally appear at 1x to my eyes on brighter settings.

I will see how they shake out, will compare the MRO to the T1 side by side this weekend doing some run and gun and shooting from unconventional positions. Wish I had a T2 on hand to add to the mix.
    Last edited by GSG-9; 04-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    SCAR 16 S FDE: Super Scar Trigger - KDG 6.5" MREX Rail FDE - TangoDown Grip FDE - GG&G Charging Handle - PMM Rear QD Mount FDE & Battery Control Device - Magpul: Fire Selector Levers, M-Loc Rail Section, M-Loc Hand Stop FDE, M-Loc Rail Covers FDE, Surefire Mini Scout Light Tan w/SRO7 Dual Switch - Blue Force QD Sling Tan - Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x FDE - Raddlock Bullet Button

Every MRO I've played with (5 so far) has had clearly visible magnification or distortion. Not a fan.

The MRO needs 1 more click of brightness also. Hard to pick up the dot on a sunny day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

The T2 dot is much crisper magnified than the T1. I tried my G33 behind one of my T1s and got the same funky shape. The T2 is good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mah827 View Post
    The T2 dot is much crisper magnified than the T1. I tried my G33 behind one of my T1s and got the same funky shape. The T2 is good to go.
    the t-2 is an improvement over the T-1 but it still has distortion / magnification. The most distortions free RDS I've found was the Hensoldt RSA
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams

I run an Aimpoint T2 in front of an EoTech G33 magnifier. Super sharp dot without the distortion I see when pairing the T1 + G33.

Lightbulb MRO vs. T1 Post Range Day Observations

MRO vs. T1 Post Range Day Observations:

Range Set Up and Conditions:
    85 degrees, bright and sunny with a mild breeze. 70 yard bay with barriers, and 10 man sized torso targets set up in various configurations and distances of 20-60 yards depending on drill.

Round Count:
    400 (aprox. 200 with each optic/gun)

Shooters:
    Trained with a mixed group of shooters ranging from civilian enthusiasts to Army Green Beret.

Carbine/Rifle Setup:
    MRO - Scalarworks Absolute Co-witness Mount on Scar 16 S
    T1 - Scalarworks Absolute Co-witness Mount on AR DD MK18 Pistol
    Pistol - Sig Sauer Mk25

Ergonomics:
    Rifle ergonomics factored into how quickly each red dot picked up and acquired targets. In a perfect world I would have tested these sights on two identical rifles as opposed to a SCAR and AR. For me the SCAR’S Ergo’s were superior to the AR’s and played a role in how quick I was with each optic.

Zeroing@50 yards:
    I began to zero from the prone with the MRO running the Eotech G33 Magnifier so I could better see my hits and walk it in. Looking through the G33 magnifier what I saw varied in terms of red dot sharpness and shape, from a tight red dot to a small 45 degree smear (similar to T1 Smear but appearing smaller due to larger FOV circumference in relation to 2 MOA Center Dot). I can only assume that my eyes or visual processing capability began to fatigue resulting in perceived variations with the red dot image with both optics when using magnifier.

Flipping the G33 to the side the MRO 2 MOA Dot was perfectly crisp and round. Took a few shots to verify zero. Feeling pressed for time, with other shooters arriving, I decided not to experiment with the diopter focus in order to eliminate the smear. I will revisit my unresolved issue on my next trip when I do some bench shooting from 200-600 yards.

MRO:
    No caps + Marked Turret Body = . Used a dime to dial in turrets, did not get lost with windage or elevation as they are clearly marked on the MRO turret body. No caps to loose or drop when wearing gloves.

T1:
    Small Caps and no Turret Body Markings = . This process was more time consuming due to small caps and lack of turret markings for windage and elevation. Unscrewing the adjuster caps I placed them on the matt where I would be sure not to loose them. Maybe it was lack of sleep or coffee, but I found myself starring at the T1 struggling to remember which turret did what, despite having just dialed in the MRO which was clearly marked. I manipulated the caps with gloves on which proved to be time consuming. Realistically zeroing the T1 was a minor annoyance, but it is worth considering if you are constantly switching optics rifle to rifle.

Shooting in Outdoor Environment:
    Shooting with the MRO and T1 in various lighting conditions from shadow, backlight, direct light, to white-out mid day sun I was able to run brighter red dot settings with the MRO without having red LED reflections inside the housing wash out the FOV and sight picture. Conversely I had to dial down the T1 to lower brightness settings to avoid washing out the FOV or getting internal LED light reflections. Running brighter settings combined with a larger FOV made the MRO slightly quicker when rapidly transitioning form target to target.

Head Position and Sight Alignment:
    Focusing in on targets through barriers, holes and various angled slots I noticed the T1 was more sensitive to head position in regards to offset head/eye position and sight alignment causing me to loose the red dot from time to time. Some of the unorthodox positions simulated shooting under cars and from behind cover in urban environments. These positions demonstrated that it may not be possible to achieve perfect head and sight alignment in some situations. Some of the barrier holes and slots allowed only one eye on target which may have contributed to a more of tunnel vision effect. Perhaps due to the larger front objective lens design with its wider FOV the MRO was not as sensitive and more forgiving in terms of offset head/eye position and sight alignment.

1x Magnification:
    While many report the MRO to have slight magnification beyond 1x, I did not notice it during my range day testing, nor did I notice any with the T1.

Glass Coatings and Tint:
    MRO glass although very clear did have a noticeable blue tint, the lens coating on the T1 was less noticeable.

Ocular Lens Reflections:
    Having noticed ocular lens reflections on both optics indoors under florescent lights, I was not able to pick up any ocular lens reflections with the MRO or T1 while outdoors. This is may be due to my preoccupation with running and gunning. In variable outdoor lighting conditions, any perceived magnification, lens tint or ocular reflections were not an issue for me with either the T1 or MRO, but they might be factors to consider before deciding which one best meets yours needs.

Final Thoughts:
    Both red dots are excellent reflex sight choices and offer excellent performance. Shooting 200 rounds with each optic reinforced the red dot concept illustrating just how effective and efficient they are in terms of speed/accuracy. Sprinting up and down range with a rifle, pistol, magazines and gear for the better part of the day validated the importance of keeping a fighting carbine/rifle as light as possible (ounces = pounds and pounds = pain).

Running a 3x magnifier with a red dot is handy and great for mid range distances but does add significant weight. I run my rifle with 1x red dot 80% of the time. I like having the ability to quickly clip the 3x Magnifier to the rail without having to re-zero the red dot and just as easily remove it or flip it to the side depending on what the situation dictates. For now the 1x red dot plus FTS 3x magnifier option works out rather nicely for me, although with the annoyance of some red dot distortion. If I lived out in open country or shot out to longer distances more often, I would switch out to the Elcan Specter DR 1-4x and be deal with the extra weight.

I think both the MRO and T1 are excellent and you can’t go wrong with either one so take you pick. For my shooting purposes, I give the edge to the MRO over the T1 as it brings some unique features and benefits (Larger FOV, Improved Ergonomics) to the table and does so at a significantly lower price point. Based on feedback from other members I would have really like to try the T2 + G33 magnifier as the T1 and MRO both exhibited red dot distortions and smear effect when combined with magnifier.
    Last edited by GSG-9; 04-24-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    SCAR 16 S FDE: Super Scar Trigger - KDG 6.5" MREX Rail FDE - TangoDown Grip FDE - GG&G Charging Handle - PMM Rear QD Mount FDE & Battery Control Device - Magpul: Fire Selector Levers, M-Loc Rail Section, M-Loc Hand Stop FDE, M-Loc Rail Covers FDE, Surefire Mini Scout Light Tan w/SRO7 Dual Switch - Blue Force QD Sling Tan - Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x FDE - Raddlock Bullet Button

Excellent review.
    GSG-9 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
    Excellent review.
    Thanks! Wish I had time to get more in depth with it, maybe next range day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links