Scar: Trijicon MRO vs. Aimpoint T1

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Scar: Trijicon MRO vs. Aimpoint T1

Scar: Trijicon MRO vs. Aimpoint T1

I searched long and hard for pics of the MRO on a Scar before I purchased one, think I found 1-2 pics. Hope this will help other folks out there and add to the SCAR / MRO image bank.

Just picked up my MRO/Salarworks Absolute Co-Witness Mount! When comparing one next to the other the larger FOV of the MRO is very noticeable, I was actually surprised at the difference. Here are some quick pics with T1 size comparison. The Trijicon MRO has a U-Boat Periscope look to it, kinda of kool IMO, but may take some getting used to. I will post a run and gun after action report later this month to see how it compares to my T1. I positioned the optic to coincide with my G33 Magnifier when in use and to take full advantage of the wider field of view the MRO offers.

Last edited by GSG-9; 04-24-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    DrToyHoarder and Big Muddy thanked this.
    SCAR 16 S FDE: Super Scar Trigger - KDG 6.5" MREX Rail FDE - TangoDown Grip FDE - GG&G Charging Handle - PMM Rear QD Mount FDE & Battery Control Device - Magpul: Fire Selector Levers, M-Loc Rail Section, M-Loc Hand Stop FDE, M-Loc Rail Covers FDE, Surefire Mini Scout Light Tan w/SRO7 Dual Switch - Blue Force QD Sling Tan - Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x FDE - Raddlock Bullet Button

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

The position of the charging handle makes me curious if you are left eye dominate. If so how does the MRO compare to the T1 when aiming with both eyes open.

I guess I must be missing out on something here vis-a-vis red dot application.

The whole point of the red dot is to use both eyes open and focus on the target. Then you bring the gun to bear on target and put the red dot on target. You don't look through the red dot tube/window/whatever. Hell, you can cover the objective lens side of the red dot and you can still use it.
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Anyway, I like the way those skeletonized mounts look. Cutting out all the unnecessary metal.
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    The position of the charging handle makes me curious if you are left eye dominate. If so how does the MRO compare to the T1 when aiming with both eyes open.
    I am a right handed shooter, right eye dominate, shoot with both eyes open in most situations when running a reflex sight or non-magnified optic. Run the charging handle on the left side for consistency of training with my AK, when combined with the PMM BCD it’s pretty efficient for me.

I am just a small arms enthusiast, run and gun recreational shooter, and law abiding Joe-Shmoe Citizen who exercises his 2nd Amendment Rights vigorously, so take this review for what’s it worth. While I have had the opportunity to get training by real trigger pullers and door kickers, a Tier 1 Operator I am not, far from it.

(MRO Overview)

The T1 is the benchmark, without question it’s tried and true and will be transplanted to my Mk18 Pistol. That said I need to give credit where credit is due, Trijicon has been doing its homework, and with comparable battery life, water proofing, relative size and weight, a lower price point, and some logical ergo improvements it gives the T1/T2 some needed competition.

According to Trijicon: “The large aperture and tapered light path maximizes the viewing area in such a small optic, allowing for fast target engagement — especially from non-standard shooting positions”.

Per fnfalman's observations, not sure how much of a difference in rapid target acquisition it will make in the real world or run and gun range environment until I actually shoot with it next weekend.

When comparing both optics side by side what stands out the most is how the outline of the optic housing appears or how much of it you actually notice when behind the gun. With the T1 I see more of the optic body, essentially a thick and small circular boarder with a red dot in the middle. With the MRO I see significantly less of the circular boarder or optic body, the circle with red dot appears much larger and thinner at the edges, essentially disappearing. Think of it as looking through 20mm tube vs. tapered 20.4mm to 25mm funnel. Despite the MRO being larger than the T1, I simply don't see or notice the body as much when behind the ocular lens with one or both eyes open. That’s a plus for me as there is less distraction for my Neanderthal brain to process and I can better focus on acquiring the target and dot.

Mounting the optic further forward on the rail causes more of a tunnel vision effect and increased view of optic body for my eyes, so I have transitioned and position my optic a bit further back on the rail closer to the rear sight which seems to reduce this effect (your results and preferences may vary).

Some Differences / Pros:
    - - ambi light control knob on top with mid-adjustment "off position" with 8 brightness settings (6-Daylight 2-Night Vision)

- - flush non-capped windage/elevation turrets require no special tool for adjustment and are clearly marked for windage and elevation (nothing to lose or remember)

- - psalm reference on the optic (Trijicon Thing) may offend some folks, in particular Jihadi types

- - very sharp and crisp 2moa Red Dot

- - aftermarket support offering mounting solutions for the MRO (ie. Scalarworks and many others)

Some Differences / Cons:
    - - MRO has no protective cover for optic lenses like the T1 bikini cover or T2 flip covers. Guess I will have to wait for I.O. to make their MRO cover

- - slightly larger optic in terms of height

- - U-boat Periscope look may not be for everyone if aesthetics are a concern

- - psalm reference on the optic (Trijicon Thing) may offend some folks, if so look elsewhere

So far my initial impression of the MRO is very favorable and in side by side comparison I prefer the sight picture of the MRO. Only time and rounds down range will tell if the MRO lives up to the T1 standard of durability.
    Last edited by GSG-9; 04-07-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    Big Muddy, 1KPerDay, Smurky and 2 others thanked this.
    SCAR 16 S FDE: Super Scar Trigger - KDG 6.5" MREX Rail FDE - TangoDown Grip FDE - GG&G Charging Handle - PMM Rear QD Mount FDE & Battery Control Device - Magpul: Fire Selector Levers, M-Loc Rail Section, M-Loc Hand Stop FDE, M-Loc Rail Covers FDE, Surefire Mini Scout Light Tan w/SRO7 Dual Switch - Blue Force QD Sling Tan - Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x FDE - Raddlock Bullet Button

Nice write up. I bought one a few months ago to see what all the negative hubbub was about. At the time many of the Internet Ninja Aimpoint fans were trashing the MRO. So I bought one from a guy on CalGuns. He had just bought two and decided to sell one.

There was a lot of talk about distortion and magnification and internal reflections, but after I spent some time with the MRO, comparing it to my T1s, PRO, and T2, I found that the complaints were way overblown. With the MRO it looks like the trade off for a wider field of view is a little distortion around the edges which is a problem that seems to completely disappear to my eyes and brain when I'm using the sight.

There are some internal reflections that I noticed, and those are real, but they really only show up if you look hard for them. I haven't encountered them as a problem in use.

I am glad you like yours. I also put my MRO on a SCAR and I've been using it occasionally.

In comparison to the T1, the MRO is slightly less refined, but makes up for it with the wide field of view and better price. I will say that I think that the T2 is a better optic than the MRO. The T2 glass is better, there is absolutely no distortion and the colors are less tinted.

You said that you were going to test it with the G33, I'd be interested in what you find. I tried the MRO with the Aimpoint 3X and had some issues. I'd like to hear your opinion with the G33.

Anyway, thanks for the nice write up, looking forward to any other observations you might want to share.
    GSG-9 and Smurky thanked this.
    Make Soylent Green out of politicians and feed it to the Left.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-SICK View Post
    Nice write up. I bought one a few months ago to see what all the negative hubbub was about. At the time many of the Internet Ninja Aimpoint fans were trashing the MRO. So I bought one from a guy on CalGuns. He had just bought two and decided to sell one.

There was a lot of talk about distortion and magnification and internal reflections, but after I spent some time with the MRO, comparing it to my T1s, PRO, and T2, I found that the complaints were way overblown. With the MRO it looks like the trade off for a wider field of view is a little distortion around the edges which is a problem that seems to completely disappear to my eyes and brain when I'm using the sight.

There are some internal reflections that I noticed, and those are real, but they really only show up if you look hard for them. I haven't encountered them as a problem in use.

I am glad you like yours. I also put my MRO on a SCAR and I've been using it occasionally.

In comparison to the T1, the MRO is slightly less refined, but makes up for it with the wide field of view and better price. I will say that I think that the T2 is a better optic than the MRO. The T2 glass is better, there is absolutely no distortion and the colors are less tinted.

You said that you were going to test it with the G33, I'd be interested in what you find. I tried the MRO with the Aimpoint 3X and had some issues. I'd like to hear your opinion with the G33.

Anyway, thanks for the nice write up, looking forward to any other observations you might want to share.
    Will be sure to share my experience. Had red dot smear issues with T1 + 3x mag G33. Adjusting the diopter helped minimize the issue but was unable to get a perfect 2moa dot without some sort of distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by GSG-9 View Post
    Will be sure to share my experience. Had red dot smear issues with T1 + 3x mag G33. Adjusting the diopter helped minimize the issue but was unable to get a perfect 2moa without some sort of distortion.
    You may experience something similar with the MRO.
    Make Soylent Green out of politicians and feed it to the Left.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-SICK View Post
    You may experience something similar with the MRO.
    I sure hope the MRO exhibits less of this phenomenon than the T1. I am bit of a perfectionist so and the distortion really gets my goat. However, even with the T1 + G33 red dot distortion it did not really effect practical accuracy from 200-600 yards, it was more annoying than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by GSG-9 View Post
    I sure hope the MRO exhibits less of this phenomenon than the T1. I am bit of a perfectionist so and the distortion really gets my goat. However, even with the T1 + G33 red dot distortion it did not really effect practical accuracy from 200-600 yards, it was more annoying than anything else.
    T2 is where it's at. Flawless round dot so crisp you can use the edges as hold-off points if you felt the desire. I have not magnified an MRO, though. The T1 was about an 8 MOA hotdog at a 45* angle, just like in photos. One thing I have noted on the MRO is that the fish-eye and magnification make it feel very similar to my Nightforce NXS on 1x. Workable and you can train through it, but not the completely "flat" feel you get looking through a T1 or T2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links