No left side retaining plate?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: No left side retaining plate?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21
    Thanked
    5 times

    No left side retaining plate?

    I just got a scar 17, I have not shot it yet and was conducting a disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and install a SS trigger while I was at it, I have found that I do not have a left side retaining plate. How big of a problem is this? I have dry fired the rifle without any problems and the safety is functional.

    Thanks,
    matt


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    66
    Thanked
    16 times
    As far as I know some have it and some don't. Not sure why but my 16 has the plate and my 17 doesn't.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    194
    Thanked
    58 times
    16 has a right side plate that the 17 does not have. Based on how the left side plate fits into the hammer pin and sits against the safety cam, I surmise its function is to prevent the hammer pin from walking out.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21
    Thanked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SubOrbital View Post
    16 has a right side plate that the 17 does not have. Based on how the left side plate fits into the hammer pin and sits against the safety cam, I surmise its function is to prevent the hammer pin from walking out.
    yeah I guess I'll get one ordered and just watch out while shooting. It's weird that it didn't come with the left side retaining plate, you think their QC would be better than to forget parts. Unless they got rid of retaining plates all together on 17s

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    258
    Thanked
    123 times
    Ah no it should have a retaining plate.

  7. #6
    Senior Member BOOMSLANG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,408
    Thanked
    1381 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattatat View Post
    I just got a scar 17, I have not shot it yet and was conducting a disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and install a SS trigger while I was at it, I have found that I do not have a left side retaining plate. How big of a problem is this? I have dry fired the rifle without any problems and the safety is functional.

    Thanks,
    matt
    While the 16s has the retainer on both sides, the 17s will only have a retainer plate on the left side, looking down into the trigger module from the top, so you're good to go.

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21
    Thanked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSLANG View Post
    While the 16s has the retainer on both sides, the 17s will only have a retainer plate on the left side, looking down into the trigger module from the top, so you're good to go.
    That was what I was expecting after reading the manual, however, my Scar came with 0 retainer plates

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    194
    Thanked
    58 times
    That is odd. I would attempt to contact FN, though I spoke with them on Friday and they said parts were back ordered for months.

  10. #9
    FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Mo.
    Posts
    3,884
    Thanked
    4557 times
    Check Stryker Enterprises I see they have them in stock (for now). Did you buy this new or used?
    BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Aging Disgracefully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bowling
    Posts
    1,684
    Thanked
    2359 times
    I think it all comes down to what role the retaining plate plays. My assumption has been that its purpose is to relieve stress around the hammer spring retaining pin holes in the receiver. So what does it do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2016, 04:37 PM
  2. Tapco AK Retaining Plate - $3.25
    By Gun.Deals in forum Gun.Deals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
  4. FNH PS90 Left Side w/ Optics
    By Jeff Lynch in forum FN PS90 Photo Section
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM
  5. FNP-9M Chips on left side of slide
    By mray4198 in forum FN FNP
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Tags for this Thread