No left side retaining plate?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: No left side retaining plate?

No left side retaining plate?

I just got a scar 17, I have not shot it yet and was conducting a disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and install a SS trigger while I was at it, I have found that I do not have a left side retaining plate. How big of a problem is this? I have dry fired the rifle without any problems and the safety is functional.

Thanks,
    matt

As far as I know some have it and some don't. Not sure why but my 16 has the plate and my 17 doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 has a right side plate that the 17 does not have. Based on how the left side plate fits into the hammer pin and sits against the safety cam, I surmise its function is to prevent the hammer pin from walking out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SubOrbital View Post
    16 has a right side plate that the 17 does not have. Based on how the left side plate fits into the hammer pin and sits against the safety cam, I surmise its function is to prevent the hammer pin from walking out.
    yeah I guess I'll get one ordered and just watch out while shooting. It's weird that it didn't come with the left side retaining plate, you think their QC would be better than to forget parts. Unless they got rid of retaining plates all together on 17s

Ah no it should have a retaining plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatat View Post
    I just got a scar 17, I have not shot it yet and was conducting a disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and install a SS trigger while I was at it, I have found that I do not have a left side retaining plate. How big of a problem is this? I have dry fired the rifle without any problems and the safety is functional.

Thanks,
    matt
    While the 16s has the retainer on both sides, the 17s will only have a retainer plate on the left side, looking down into the trigger module from the top, so you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSLANG View Post
    While the 16s has the retainer on both sides, the 17s will only have a retainer plate on the left side, looking down into the trigger module from the top, so you're good to go.
    That was what I was expecting after reading the manual, however, my Scar came with 0 retainer plates

That is odd. I would attempt to contact FN, though I spoke with them on Friday and they said parts were back ordered for months.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Check Stryker Enterprises I see they have them in stock (for now). Did you buy this new or used?
    BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

Senior Member Aging Disgracefully's Avatar
    I think it all comes down to what role the retaining plate plays. My assumption has been that its purpose is to relieve stress around the hammer spring retaining pin holes in the receiver. So what does it do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links