Blackhawk SpecOps Knoxx Gen II Recoil Reducing Stock for Remington 870

FN Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks
  • 1 Post By Clyde
  • 3 Post By Clyde

Thread: Blackhawk SpecOps Knoxx Gen II Recoil Reducing Stock for Remington 870

Blackhawk SpecOps Knoxx Gen II Recoil Reducing Stock for Remington 870

I decided I needed to upgrade my Remington 870 Marine Magnum 12 gauge, and I have been contemplating the Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock, now that the Gen II version is readily available. So I got one, and I also bought the Powerpak System that features the high cheek piece to use with optical sights, as well as adding ammo capacity onto the shotgun, and adding a spare batteries and earplugs compartment integral to the Powerpak and stock assembly.

I saw this recoil reducing stock demonstrated on the Guns & Ammo TV series on the Sportsmans Channel, and the amount of recoil that it took out of the 870 was clearly visible in the camera shots they took when testing the gun -- tamed the felt recoil visibly....

The Knoxx Recoil Suppression Technology is supposed to reduce felt recoil by up to 85%, which is quite significant when you are shooting a 12 gauge. The stock itself came with some nice added features I was not aware of before I bought this and brought it home. It has a seven-position adjustable stock (the old version was three-position, IIRC). The stock comes with a 1" quick detach swing swivel included as a standard feature. And the pistol grip also includes interchangeable rubber grip inserts, which I plan to just keep and install later on, once the initial set starts showing some wear.

I like the fact that it is all-season capable, and that it is easy to install -- I installed the whole system myself in about an hour, and it was actually very easy, and was an enjoyable experience.

Once it was installed, I really like the way the gun handles with the upgrades, and I plan to take it to the range and compare it side by side with a box stock Remington 870 Tactical I own for comparison purposes, and to see if it really was worth the money....

If it works out well, I plan on making a combined slug gun and turkey gun with swappable barrels for this Fall, using the same recoil reducing Knoxx stock and Powerpak system.

Here is what is in the Knoxx Stock package:

Not sure if anyone has any interest in how this kit was installed, but if anyone is interested, I took some more pictures, so just let me know and I will post them up...Peace!

:
    Cujo thanked this.
    Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

I've been looking at those as well to tone down this kicking mule of a Mossberg 590 Mariner. With 3" magnums, it's even worse. I have a picatinny forward grip and it's busted my thumbnail open on several occasions.
    -Del
    THE Unrequited Shooter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Do you know the difference between justice and punishment......

I've got the same kit on my 870 Tactical. I didn't install the fore-end, but the stock works well. Nice choice.

Here is what comes with the Powerpak -- this is the lower height cheek piece -- you need this to mount the higher mount cheek piece:

High mount cheek piece:

Shotgun shell holder:

Battery compartment, which fits foam ear plugs perfectly:

Screws and supplied wrench (ball-end) for installing screws (which are all hidden from view and flush-mounted inside):

To install the stock, you have to pull off the factory stock, using a small Phillips head screwdriver to reach through the holes in the recoil pad:

Inside the stock is a long screw that holds the factory stock in place:

What you end up pulling off the factory shotgun:

Here is the Knoxx stock before the install -- be warned -- do not pull that red lever out until you reach that part of the install...!:

To begin the install, using the supplied Allen/hex wrench, remove this cross bolt, which allows you to pull the Top Slide away from the Stock Assembly to mate with the receiver:

Female interface on the factory receiver:

The Top Slide comes with a metal sling attachment, which mates with the Top Slide before installing -- if you do not want the sling attachment, the kit includes a spacer to use instead -- I like running single point slings, so I installed this:

You need your own 3/16" Allen wrench to install the Top Slide (new part of the Gen II) -- genuine Allen wrenches -- I can't help it, I am such a tool geek sometimes:

Here you can see one of the two springs that absorb the recoil:

Here is why you do not pull that red lever until you are told to in the instructions -- it is how the stock is attached or removed:

The next step is to slide the Stock Assembly onto the Top Slide, and then reattach the cross bolt -- after carefully aligning it...you will need to wiggle the stock around some to line up the holes:

Bodda boom, bodda bing -- it is ready for a new sling!

The Powerpak is a little trickier, because the screws are hidden, and you have to tap the screws into the plastic by hand, which is not easy with small screws that are not self-tapping...:

Getting the battery compartment on is the toughest part of the install, but if you take your time and use the ball-end, it will work -- then you have to pull the stock off the stock extension before you can mount the optics cheek piece:

Getting the optic cheek piece onto the stock is a bit of a fiddle, but it will eventually slide into position - here is the battery/earplug compartment, right hand cheek piece if you shoot right handed (it's ambidextrous if you are a Southpaw):

And there it is, all installed on the house gun, ready to forcibly repel whatever is stupid enough to climb up the stairs uninvited...:

I did not use the kit's supplied forearm, because I had the Surefire light installed already, but it comes with the kit if you want to have that integrated look...helps if you have an action wrench to install one of these, though....

Overall, I am very pleased with the Knoxx stock and accessories -- very robust construction, and the fit and finish are top quality. It is very sturdy, and I think it is definitely an upgrade worth considering if you want to be able to get back on target faster.... It would be good for people with shoulder/neck/collarbone/wrist injuries, too, I would imagine -- all that stuff still works on me...! Nice piece of kit -- now to range test it....
    Last edited by Clyde; 07-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE, akitainu and Cujo thanked this.
    Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Very nice Clyde! I have the 1st gen versions on a Mossberg 590 and a 500. It really does make a noticeable difference.

It looks like nice changes in gen 2. I have a few more scatterguns I still need to upgrade..kinda of glad I waited.
    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Senior Member KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE's Avatar
    I have a non recoil reducing version for my 870 that I bought quite a while ago. I would like to upgrade to the recoil reducing version, but due to school, I needed to put my shotgun project on hold. After school, it's game on.

I am interested in the Powerpak upgrade, however I never was able to find decent installation pics before. At the time when I was searching around, I could only find typed descriptions. It would definitely be helpful once I install an RMR on a railed receiver setup.

Thank you very much Clyde. You've put together a prime time boomstick.
    Make no mistake my friend. It isn't the revenge I'm after, it's the reckoning.

Homo Qui Spectat Mortem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Youtube/Conspiritus 1-13, by: Xendrius. Full version available here:

NWO, Secret Societies, and Biblical Prophecy Vol. 1., by Leonard Ulrich

How do you like the cheek piece?

In! all! honesty! I! have! a! hard! time! taking! a! company! seriously! when! they! have! an! exclamation! mark! in! their! name!.
    (I also tend to avoid things with names like "Spec Ops")
    Very glad to see they make a good product. I've been eyeing shotguns a bit lately because I need one for my "armory". Thanks for posting! And all the pictures! Shotgun looks great!

Links