FN Herstal Firearms banner

Issues 'zeroing' in PS90 @ 50 yrds

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  RobertTX 
#1 ·
My last (2) outings attempting to 'zero' @ 50 yards, isn't going so well. Quite frustrating. This past Sunday, outdoor rage, (40) rounds down range, and my 12x12 target was untouched.

I have a Micron T1 red dot mounted on the factory rail (LE version PS90). Aside from having a professional dial it in and costing me money, anyone have any insight on how to get the red dot and laser bore sight to align? Is there a company that make a laser bore sight round in 5.7? I have been using a bore sight you place in the end of the barrel. I feel it's shooting low, but until I can hit a target, it's anyone's guess. and I highly doubt I acquired a defective PS90...haha...sigh...
Is there a gun vice that works for a PS90 in the hope of taking the human element out of the equation? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

#5 ·
How I deal with zeroing a weapon is...

Setup a large sheet of paper, start at 10 yards. Fire 3 rounds and zero.

Move back to 20 yards, repete.

etc, etc, until you reach 50 yards.
Big sheet of copier paper or a roll , cover a large area on the target /back-stop to ease your ability of wondering...." where is it shooting ".
This weapon has an unusual height over bore distance that presents some unique challenges.
I like PursuitSS method... however I have tried different ways... I even use the big sheets of white drafting paper down at 200 when the application & need arises...

#3 ·
The above method is best, but if you can't move around at various ranges, try the following: 1. put three targets overlapping next to each other 2. shoot at middle target. 3. if you can't find a hit on any of the targets shoot at the top of the middle target 4. if no hit, shoot at the bottom of middle target. 5. Hopefully you will find a hit somewhere.

#4 ·
What PursuitSS said.

#6 ·
I have a Micron T1 .
Is this an off brand, or did your spell check get the best of you? Also what bore sight are you using, is it a cheap model? When not able to "sight in" it is primarily the equipment that is to blame before the rifle. The PS90 has a weird and long muzzle break maybe the bore sight is not staying in the end without falling out a bit. Try having a friend hold the sight into the end with pressure to make sure it is true. I have this same problem with my M21 which is why I switched to a cartridge style bore sight. Hope this helps, it is quite a fun platform when running right.. Good Luck.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Range only had 50/100. I'll try to figure something out. There is an indoor range that has a 25yrd lane. I'll see if they have completed their remodel and are now open.

It's an Aimpoint Micro T-1. I was typing over the computer and apparently it doesn't register all the keystrokes or spacebar when struck. Or whatever issue it is. Only happens on this site. Weird.

#11 ·
Sighting it in first at an indoor range would be great. Even offhand you should be able to see where it is shooting up close.

Another thing you could try is bore sighting the old fashioned way. Take the barrel off the gun and place it on sandbags or something steady and center the target in the bore and see where the red dot (or whatever you are using) is shooting. Adjust sights accordingly. You can also center a far away light at night (such as a street light) in the bore with the barrel off the gun and adjust your optical sight to hit the light. This method has worked well for me but make sure the light is at least 50 yards away.

#12 ·
Might be the Aimpoint . I put a Trijicon RMR 3.5moa on mine and zeroed it at 25 yards no issue all in the 10 ring. Even when I shot another 20 rounds as fast as I could reacquire the target I stayed in it. Going to final sight it at 50 yards and leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Follow up: Went to the indoor range and found the Aimpoint was off, way off. Perhaps this was my doing of trying to zero it in the previous weekend at the outdoor range in broad daylight. After 8-10 rounds, got it sighted at 30 yards. Then proceeded to go underground to the 100 yard lane to fine tune. This was the best 2-shot group of the day. Average grouping before this was 1.5". this group is less than 1/2" @ 100 yards. Since I'm no 'top shot', I'm quite pleased with the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.