Site SSL certificate issue?

FN Forum

Google Search

Site SSL certificate issue?

Apologies if this has been discussed or addressed but didn't see it as a current topic. I noticed when attempting to login securely to the forums, I get a security warning regarding an invalid cert:

"fnforum.net uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for speakev.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN"

Making sure it wasn't something on my end I ran a remote cert checker for the site and got back this error:

"SSL Report: fnforum.net
    Certificate name mismatch

Try these other domain names (extracted from the certificates):

What does this mean?
    We were able to retrieve a certificate for this site, but the domain names listed in it do not match the domain name you requested us to inspect. It's possible that:

• The web site does not use SSL, but shares an IP address with some other site that does.
    • The web site no longer exists, yet the domain name still points to the old IP address, where some other site is now hosted.
    • The web site uses a content delivery network (CDN) that does not support SSL.
    • The domain name is an alias for a web site whose main name is different, but the alias was not included in the certificate by mistake.

SSL Report v1.28.4"

I'm always hesitant to login or post anything over a non-secure connection, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me seeing this issue. Again apologies if this has been discussed or revolved in another sub forum.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    hmmmm.... I'm not sure why that is happening. What browser are you using?

what was the URL in your address bar when you get this message? did you just add the https next to fnforum or did it automatically do it for you?

I googled the error and this looks like what's happening.
    Why would a website throw a ssl_error_bad_cert_domain?

Lee
    Last edited by admin; 05-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.

This site might be sharing hosting with speakev.com and that causing browsers to display such error. Why don't fnforum.net should install SSL Certificate to protect users credentials. There are another huge benefit of having website over HTTPS is, Google is pushing ranking for SSL secured website.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    We are working on updating all our network to HTTPS, I don't have a eta on this but I know it's being actively looked into to.

Niall

Thanks for the update! When I submitted this post it didn't show up in the forums and thought the post didn't get through. I've used Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge, on various devices include PC and Mac on different networks...same issue. When I attempted to manually add the HTTPS it would just tell me:

"Your connection is not secure

The owner of fnforum.net has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

Glad to see it's getting resolved.

-Jon

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    We will try and provide as much information as possible in regards to the HTTPS update, when it is available.

Thanks for your patience.

- JB

Sponsored Links